Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Gig Ever...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Slayer and SOAD were great, but in fairness to Tool, i had never given them much time back then, so obviously playing for 10min before maynard even sang was a bad experience......at the time.....Since then I became a fan and wish I could go back and see that gig again!!

I became a bigger fan and saw them in the point. They were still lifeless tbh. Just really don't care about or engage the audience. Boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kess73 wrote: »
    You talking about the gig back in the 80's where they walked off because they were sick of being spat on by members of the crowd, or the gig in the Ambassador in 2005 where they asked the audience to calm down and then walked off after Charlie Benante was hit with a bottle?

Was at both gigs and have to say that the band were right each time.
    There was actually an article in metalhammer in the 80's about the Irish spitting phenomonon!! It happened to maiden too, The very young Sepultura on the other hand loved it and spat back!

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Cubanate! hah i remember that name I remember they also supported Fear Factory In 1998 I think, from what i can remember they were terrible!
    I'll never forget it, mainly because it was the only gig i was ever at were the crowd were laughing hysterically as opposed to being rude to them, their last words...."**** you dublin, we'l be back bigger and better ...etc"

mine would be faith no more in dunlaoighre ( i think) many years ago.
    They had appeared live on top of the pops that evening and so were mad late.
    Got on stage with rubbish sound, not an iota of apology, played for mebbe 40 minutes.
    The whole gig ****head on guitar was fiddling with his amp and at the end when the house lights came up, gig over he is still on stage back to the audience messing with his guitar and amp!

Ran into the gimp in bruxelles a few years later and told him what i thought of his antics:D
    i would love to know what he thought of you giving him a dressing down for his antics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

There was actually an article in metalhammer in the 80's about the Irish spitting phenomonon!! It happened to maiden too, The very young Sepultura on the other hand loved it and spat back!

The thing with that Maiden gig was that Wolfsbane (support act) were pretty much encouraging it.

Apparently they warned the following night's crowd (in Belfast) not to spit, so they must have gotten a b*ll*cking off Maiden/Rod Smallwallet about it...

• Advertisement

Brautigan wrote: »
    It has to be Guns n Roses at Slane a few years back. Good f uck were they bad...
    They left the crowd waiting for well over an hour before they came on. Whilst everyone was waiting about, half the crowd up front started throwing flattened paper Coke cups up in the air - as you do. So, cue big fat American roadie coming onto the stage and asking everyone to "stop throwing things" and throwing in a few other assorted threats that "the guys" won't come on if the sunburnt crowd kept, eh, throwing things. When they did stumble on stage they were absolute crap. Big drum solos, guitar solos, piano solos, a bass solo even! Bull****. The only good song they played was a two minute snippet of Black Sabbath's "It's Alright".

Support wise, Faith No More rocked whilst the less said about My Little Funhouse the better...

Man that was a sight to behold, the sky was red with Coke cups at one point, also if i remember correctly that roadie who said "stop throwing things" got skulled with an apple!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Man that was a sight to behold, the sky was red with Coke cups at one point, also if i remember correctly that roadie who said "stop throwing things" got skulled with an apple!

And they started telling people to stop building human Pyramids. They were getting higher and higher as the afternoon went on. Some craic.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LukeChadwick

I became a bigger fan and saw them in the point. They were still lifeless tbh. Just really don't care about or engage the audience. Boring.

Tool SFX 2001 (I think) incredible - When the intro to Sober kicked in, place went nuts, nothing could have beaten it until Aenema intro... Point gig was relatively boring - 10,000 days? album played a lot, mainly slow burner songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ozzy Osbourne, Point 2007. After spending 5 days in Belgium at Rock Werchter, where the crowd was decent and organisation was perfect, this was something to behold. After 5 minutes standing in main crowd area, hit with full bottle of Coke in back of head (thanks to whoever that ****er may have been), then Black Label Society were woeful, and Ozzy just doesn't have it anymore.

Still good to say I've seen him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Oh now I remember another bad one...Aerosmith, Marlay Park 2007. Awful gig, completely soulless & I swear they didn't play a note live that night. Chris Cornell supported them and he was crap too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i would love to know what he thought of you giving him a dressing down for his antics?

He stood there with his pint and listened to me for the 10 or 15 seconds i complained, nodded and said nothing so i said ah **** it and left him for the bar.
    I felt like i was chastising a child and it felt all wrong:o

No drama really just me saying what i thought and leaving it at that, wasn't out for blood just letting him know that the fans deserve a little respect when parting with their hard earned cash.

What did you think? he would stand up on a stool and have a go at me???:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Jebus.
    Time just warped! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭William_Hicley

Going to see RAGE on Tuesday, then going to Sonisphere in Poland the week after that. I'l let ye know if anybody sucks!! :-P

He stood there with his pint and listened to me for the 10 or 15 seconds i complained, nodded and said nothing so i said ah **** it and left him for the bar.
    I felt like i was chastising a child and it felt all wrong:o

No drama really just me saying what i thought and leaving it at that, wasn't out for blood just letting him know that the fans deserve a little respect when parting with their hard earned cash.

What did you think? he would stand up on a stool and have a go at me???:)
    Funnily enough i actually pictured him like a school boy getting a bollicking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Fair play to lynski for the resurrection. This is a cool thread. Almost 8 years to the day old. I was at the Billy Corgan solo gig in the Ambassador which was poor. Really enjoyed Tool in the O2 tho.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Went to see Mayhem in TBMC (The Button Factory) a few years back. Bored the ****e out of me tbh. Cryptopsy weren't far behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Princess Tinymeat in the Project (I think) about '86. Loudest thing I was ever exposed to. Myself and about 30 others legged it out after about five minutes.

Gorehounds around the same period, same venue. Gig kept getting interrupted by the singer jumping into the crowd to batter someone until it was abandoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

lord lucan wrote: »
    Only gig that jumps out at me for me really ****e was Tool at Ozzfest in 2002. Having spent the afternoon rocking hard to SOAD and Slayer it was a massive shock to the system when that shower took to the stage! The whole vibe of the day was killed imo. I was lucky to grab a couple of over-priced scoops from the Heineken stand before they closed and ended up drinking them in the car park where Dublin Bus had all their buses parked up waiting to go home.

Judging by the crowds hanging around the car park i wasn't the only one with the same feeling.

You know I was trying to think what my worst gig for ages, and I totally forgot about Tool at Ozzfest. I was there, we watched them for about 10 minutes and got bored sh!tless so got the bus back home. They were fcuking useless. And that's the reason I've always hated tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

0verblood wrote: »
    You know I was trying to think what my worst gig for ages, and I totally forgot about Tool at Ozzfest. I was there, we watched them for about 10 minutes and got bored sh!tless so got the bus back home. They were fcuking useless. And that's the reason I've always hated tool.
    Thats a common enough complaint about tool to be fair. You either REALLY like them or you dont. Those that "dont" tend to be very bored after one or two tracks as they all sound the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Not particularly metal :P but I remember seeing Sterophonics at Witness in Fairyhouse...my god paint drying would have been more fun...

Although Faithless were on after them...now THAT was a gig :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Radiohead in Malahide, all they did was play the new material meh.

Are you serious? That was, and still is, one of the best gigs of my entire life. You go see a band that was just after releasing one of their best pieces of work to-date, and you want to hear their old stuff? Get real.
    They were flawless that day.

The worst band I ever saw was Kings of Leon at Oxegen last year. They played grand, but that's all they did. There was absolutely no interaction with the crowd. I cannot believe I missed Nick Cave for them :rolleyes:

I saw Director last October as well. that gig was crap, but mainly because Director are a pretty crap band.

Jay P wrote: »
    Are you serious? That was, and still is, one of the best gigs of my entire life. You go see a band that was just after releasing one of their best pieces of work to-date, and you want to hear their old stuff? Get real.
    They were flawless that day.
    I am not a Radiohead fan at all, but I was at that gig, and new stuff, old stuff....no difference to me...

but I do 100% agree with you. A wonderful invention of the last few years is the tribute band....if a person wants nostalgia they can avail of this in the most intimate venues in the country...however if your favourite band be it Radiohead or napalm death are still consistantly releasing new music then they have every right to tour it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

cournioni wrote: »
    Went to see Mayhem in TBMC (The Button Factory) a few years back. Bored the ****e out of me tbh. Cryptopsy weren't far behind.

Was at the Mayhem one my self, but was too wasted to remember much of it:D,

interesting read here, one of my mates was at this gig, well the description says it all.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=66829

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Taking Back Sunday several years ago, my brother wanted to see them, and there were about 15 people in the Ambassador for the gig...they weren't particularly band but the reception was appalling and Fightstar was the support

i was at that man... i thought there was a good few people there. didnt charlie get him with a paintbomb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Marilyn Manson at download last year, jesus he was woeful. The only highlight was when he broke some light on the side of the stage, that was funny. Other than that he was just rolling around screaming. Brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Not metal but when I saw Interpol (never a real fan but always kind of liked them) they were so boring. I mean their timing was perfect and they played the music perfectly but jesus it was so boring. They walked on, said hi, played their songs, said bye and left. It was like watching a video or something. I know it doesn't sound like anything bad but my friends saw them a year later and said the exact same thing.

Had to have been the most still crowd I've ever seen.

Actually, Bob Dylan in pearse stadium was worse. Jesus christ that was bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

1.Deftones. Ambassador, July 2006.

Very, Very boring. Really wasnt that big a fan of the band, but I was just waiting for them to finish all evening. At no point did I enjoy that gig, and I have been steadfast in my opinion ever since

2.Iron Maiden. The Point, December 2006

A good show was offered, however, they played the entirety of the new album, and only palyed a few of the old ones. As a result I was underwhelmed. They are a solid band, and I shall be in the 02 to see them in July.

Other then that, I have never been to a show which disappointed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

Blur, at some festival about 10 years ago. They played every song from their latest album (over 60 minutes of it, no crowd interaction at all), and finished with a couple of hits. I'm not a fan, so it was a painful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

jedward last night lol j/k

zz top in the RDS long time ago they were damn awefull

radiohead at marley park also, damn awefull live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Het-Field wrote: »
    1.Deftones. Ambassador, July 2006.

Very, Very boring. Really wasnt that big a fan of the band, but I was just waiting for them to finish all evening. At no point did I enjoy that gig, and I have been steadfast in my opinion ever since

Whereas I maintain that this was one of the best I've been to, probably because I love Deftones though.

The only one I can think of is Slayer at Hellfest '08. Really weak sound, they sounded awful that night, stayed for the first 2 songs and then went back to the campsite. I fell asleep while they were playing Raining Blood.

Advertisement