Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Gig Ever...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Red Hot Chilli Peppers at the Phoenix Park - think around 2003.

Worst gig ever, way too many people. Was so far back I could not even see the stage, and the acoustics were absolutely horrible. Never again going to that venue for a gig or to that band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Mastodon 2009 Marley Park supporting Metallica.
    Great band, I'm a big fan but they suck live, I mean really suck, just a loud noise couldn't make out any instruments just noise, it was like standing beside a jet plane taking off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

That's not the band's fault though, that's down to the soundman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mine's gotta be Metallica at Dynamo Festival in Holland, 99 i think

Awesome weekend, great bill, great beer & weed and so lookin forward to seein Metallica.

They were awful, just bored the crap outta me and i feckin love 'em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

peter1892 wrote: »
    Oh now I remember another bad one...Aerosmith, Marlay Park 2007. Awful gig, completely soulless & I swear they didn't play a note live that night. Chris Cornell supported them and he was crap too.

I was at that gig!! Aerosmith I thought were great, steve tyler put on a great performance despite being 60 years old. Chris was great too, played a rake of soundgarden and audioslave with a fair bit of gusto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Parsley wrote: »
    I was at that gig!! Aerosmith I thought were great, steve tyler put on a great performance despite being 60 years old.

Jesus I didn't realise that Tyler turns 63 this year

Fair play to him, I'd love to see him in about 10 years, would be interesting

James Brown took old age well:D

Went to see The Mars Volta in the Olympia this year,used to like At the Drive in,so decided to give them a chance...walked in not knowing any of their stuff,walked out an hour later still not knowing any of their stuff,horrified by how awful they sounded and with a headache to boot- self indulgent pretentious shíte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Went to see James Taylor in the 02 bout a year ago....

Nice music, done a **** load of covers but to me it was extremely drab.

I know it aint Rock, I know he's depressing - expected better though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

NothingMan wrote: »
    They played Landsdowne in 2002 then about 2 hours of New Order, who were crap the .
    Tell your dads you saw us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GoldCobra

I was once dragged to a Lacuna Coil gig, worst time of my life. I couldn't drink enough to make them sound good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Lacuna Coil got awful stick that night. I don't think they've played here since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

peter1892 wrote: »
    Oasis at Lansdowne Rd. in 2000. Again, a band I'd seen on other occasions who had been great, this gig was just awful. It also had an air of tension, a nasty crowd who seemed ready to start a fight.

I was there and got a box from a Dubliner who took offence at me trying to get a friend's flag back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Het-Field wrote: »
    Deftones. Ambassador, July 2006.

Very, Very boring. Really wasnt that big a fan of the band, but I was just waiting for them to finish all evening. At no point did I enjoy that gig, and I have been steadfast in my opinion ever since

Feel exactly the same about that gig. Stood at the bar for most of the gig and couldn't wait for it to be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Gotta agree with Mastodon at Marlay park 2009 being rubbish, and also Tool in the Point. Was that the one where it lashed rain and we were all wet & cold but they played this ambient water jungle soothing sounds and had tacky green lasers and played a bunch of boring crap off 10,000 Days? I left early.

Hmmm... any other bad concerts? Yea that Chilis one in Lansdowne with New Order was awful. ****ing By the Way. **** off! It's like nothing pre Californication exists to them apart from Give it Away and Under the Bridge.

Slipknot were pretty bad supporting Metallica in RDS 2004. Sound was off - the bass & drum were out of sync.

Oh and Smashing Pumpkins was a massive let down at RDS a couple of years back. I was at front of pit, so off my face I was barely lucid and even I could see how boring it was. No Zero. "We don't play that anymore" Oh yea Billy? Well I paid for this gig, so you work for me!! And screw you making money off the Zero merch you're selling. Hypocrite sell out cúnt.

I could cry reading posts about seeing Pantera in 1992. :(:(:(:( Someone better hurry up and invent that bloody time machine dealie already!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

Only one that atands out was Smashing Pumpkins at NovaRock in 07.

So ****ing bad, i was so excited about seeing them too. I think they were the reason i went and i really tried to get into it but after about an hour i just had to turn around and leave. Absolute muck. And judging by the size of the crowd left hanging around as i was leaving pretty much everyone else thought the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭pablo_escobar

it would have to be Tattoo The Planet.
    Pantera didn't show up, Static X didn't turn up.
    Slayer were ****e and cradle of filth / biohazard couldn't save the day.
    **** anselmo and **** static X, worthless ****e

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

it would have to be Tattoo The Planet.
    Pantera didn't show up, Static X didn't turn up.
    Slayer were ****e and cradle of filth / biohazard couldn't save the day.
    **** anselmo and **** static X, worthless ****e

I thought Biohazard were fricking incredible that night. Really enjoyed myself.
    The worst was getting the bus up to Dublin for the original date, I think the day after 9/11 or something and the thing was canceled when we got there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 guitarfan

Oasis / Prodigy / Kasabien for sure.

A Perfect Circle

The White Stripes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I could cry reading posts about seeing Pantera in 1992. :(:(:(:( Someone better hurry up and invent that bloody time machine dealie already!

That gig was mad. I was at the back of the venue (the SFX was prety small) and the crowd got smaller with every song as people were carried out in bits.

I always remember one girl being carried out by 3 or 4 guys - she looked like she'd been broken!

It was a great gig! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Mark knopfler.
    Boston fleet pavilion around 2005.
    Almost fell asleep :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭RedDragonJack

ICE HOUSE wrote: »
    Mark knopfler.
    Boston fleet pavilion around 2005.
    Almost fell asleep :mad:

That's so wierd, I just came in here to have a rant about him. He's just a horrendous singer. Why do they let him sing? Not to mention, he just looks like he doesn't even give two sh*ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Not really rock/Metal, but it has to have been Paul Weller at the Olympia in November 2006. Weller obviously thought he was playing in somewhere like Glastonbury and had the volume knobs on everything up to the limit. I still feel as if I've got rinigng in my ears from it! All you could get was a wall of sound, with no decernable vocals or individual instruments. Ironically enough, the only way to try to hear some of the songs was to put your fingers in your ears!!

And then both he and sone of his band proceeded to smoke their way through a number of the songs. It didn't go down well with many of the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Been to lots of shows, but by far was a very recent one....

Fairport Convention in Cork a couple months back, its was dire beyond belief, no original members left, snoozefest, talking for 2-3 minutes before each tune describing how they did things back in the 70's & 60's, numerous mentions of Sandy Denny, dreadful carry on. Worst by a long, long mile. And I'm a fan (from year zero to mid/late 70's).

Never thought I'd see a worse show than Jethro Tull in 2001, but I was wrong.

I saw Tool in the Point a few years ago, like other people here. I maintain it was the greatest gig I have ever been to. I was sitting up the back near the middle and I almost died from the greatness of it all. It completely changed my opinion of music and opened up entire genres of psychedelic and technical rock/metal to me.

The worst gigs I have ever been to have all been small gigs involving local or national bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Ive been pretty lucky but im very selective on who i go to see. Them Crooked Vultures at Download 2010 were complete and utter crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beave

I've spent many years going to gigs, and the worst gig I was ever at was Iron Maiden at the point about 4 or 5 years back, what was I thinking, followed by the Eels in the Olympia, again about 5 years ago, jumpsuits, rock-a-billy, didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Pauleta wrote: »
    Ive been pretty lucky but im very selective on who i go to see. Them Crooked Vultures at Download 2010 were complete and utter crap.

In what way? Its 3 friends who jammed out some pretty damn good rock n roll tunes, not trying to break down barriers. Its literally stuff just to groove to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Mushy wrote: »
    In what way? Its 3 friends who jammed out some pretty damn good rock n roll tunes, not trying to break down barriers. Its literally stuff just to groove to.

I like the TCV album but the way you describe it there sounds like it was very pretentious and self indulgent

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Worst gig was definitely Tool at Ozzfest in 2002. Every other band were brilliant. I was actually excited when they first came on stage then after about 2 songs I and what seemed everyone else got bored. To add insult to injury, Ozzy didn't show up so Tool had to keep playing to cover his slot. BOOORRIIINNGGG!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

pdbhp wrote: »
    Mastodon 2009 Marley Park supporting Metallica.
    Great band, I'm a big fan but they suck live, I mean really suck, just a loud noise couldn't make out any instruments just noise, it was like standing beside a jet plane taking off

I actually thought they were good and I wasn't a fan at the time, Ill give it to you the sound was ****e, but I was moving around alot, the sound was awful in the pit but just outside on the left side of the pit I found the sweet spot for sound not perfect but sounded alot better than anywhere else.

Alice in Chains at that gig though, Jesus that was soo boring it consisted of them all standing there with one foot on an amp and the singer whining.

Also Bullet for My Valentine when they played in the Ambassador. Trying to get someone on stage to sing Hand of Blood and got a 15 year old girl who stood there covering here face. Could picked a guy maybe he could of sang. The crowd were boring as hell until they played Creeping Death which doesnt say much for their music. Then were pricks and walked straight past everyone outside. Then aload of mini mosher emo girls started climbing on each other trying to see in the bus it was like a seen from a Zombie movie was hilarious.

Advertisement