Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organising qualifiers for WCG

Options
  • 14-05-2002 11:23am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Lads, Listen up

I need to know who who is the grandaddy of Quake in Ireland, whocan I talk to that could represent you all. The reason...well

Im sure a lot of you are familiar with WCG (http://www.worldcybergames.com). Its basically the Olympics for gamers. Im sure a lot of you also know that last year was its first year, it was held in Korea and there were no Irish participants. What I'm trying to do is get Ireland represented. This means I need to get together with whoever you (the Quake community) trust to represent you.

My ambition is to get CS, Q3 and UT qualifiers. But if you take a look at the site there are 3 other games open to competition this year.

Anyway, email me dardoz@clandzr.com if you want to help or reply here and let me know who I should be talking to to represent the Quake3 community.

This years World Cyber Games will be held in the Daejon Expo grounds in Daejon, Korea for those interested. Theres a lot to organise, but this would really benefit the irish gaming scene if we could make it happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Koopa :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

where do I find this Koopa guy?

email?

irc channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Ahh

memories of the CPL and the WCG are worse than those guys.

Have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I heard that they were trying to get the next WCG hosted in London.. any word on that?

I think a WCG in London would deffo be worth sending some Irish people over to since it wouldn't cost much to get there.

distance shouldnt be that much of a problem. The venu for this year is confirmed as Korea. Maybe the UK has applied for next year. Anyway, all the nationalities havent had any trouble getting major sponsorship such as Intel, Microsoft etc. They would be the ones paying the flight fares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

Koopa does korea, i can see it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

if its a dueller to represent Ireland, there's no question that it's Koopa. his mail is doomgod@redbrick.dcu.ie

Where is the funding coming from?
    (coz I would have to go aswell to mind him like)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Someone would have to go to mind him alright!

Koopa is the best dueler out there imho.

In terms of representing the Irish quake scene, its really MP/Zero/IGN lads who are the daddies.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

ah god, imagine sam getting into some random koreans car at a garage and getting completely lost in seoul. haha.
    "i shouldn't even be here today"

Ok, the first sept Im taking is to get a 6 man comittee together to supervise the whole thing. And Koopa may well be one of the best in the world, but there will be an Irish qualifier for each game so he'l have to win it. Anyway, there may be a possibility of getting 3 qualifiers for Q3 and 3 fo UT.

The 6 man comittee will comprise of 2 UT players, 2 Q3 players and 2 CS players so that each game is represented fairly.

At the moment I have myself and Spoonman representing UT.

Mindphuck is most likely 1 of the Q3 members. I have been trying to get in touch with the other Q3 player I want but he isnt replying. ;-) .........hint hint Zero

CS players I have no knowledge of, so I havnt got any1 to represent them yet.

With regards to funding, I want to get the committee in place before I make any moves on anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Koopa and Ser should go, but they don't play much q3 duel
    DNC seemed to be a good cs clan, dunno what they are like now
    though.

sorry dard. i had an old email address in my profile its updated now.

ok, sorry lads. Basically Gary from DNC rang me, how he got my mobile number Ill never know. DNC sent over the marketing info etc needed to try get the qualifier last year but they were too late. Basically, they are already in contact with WCG again this year so as far as putting that committee together, I dont we need to be competing against each other. Gary seems like a nice guy and I agreed to help him out, but DNC are handling most of it.

Well....at least they will be if nothing better comes along as WCG have not made the final decision yet.

The ones thing that annoys me slightly about DNCs running of it is that they think of it too much as making profit for themselves rather than doing it for the Irish gaming community. I know you will read this Gary so dont get offended but I get that impression because you said you want to send the most competitive gamers over even it it means no representing as many games as possible which imo is important. If DNC are limited to sending 10 people and they see 10 CS players as doing better than a mix of 2 Q3, 2 UT and 5 CS players they would send the 10 CS.

This is where I differ. IMO representing as many games as possible is the way to make Irish gaming grow. Not to just pick the prominent game.

Anyway, just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

np dardoz I'm not offended at all. The simple fact is that I personally will do the WCG stuff for the fun of it and because I love computer games. But the company’s' reasons are different; it's about promotion and publicity. .dNC are not expecting to make a cent out of handling the WCG stuff for Ireland, quite the opposite I'd say. But we are expecting to get publicity, seems fair really.

As for sending people over we will of course try and send representatives for all the games, which are being run at the event. This will take a huge amount of effort and money to do, so if the money falls short then we will send the people most likely to do well. There will only be one CS team of 5 going, end of story so that won't impact the rest of the games.

I still think we need to get a team of people interested in this event. Only the winners of the qualifiers will go to the main event in Korea and that includes our own CS team, there will be no bias in this. This is going to be as fair and as fun as is humanly possible with lots of nice prizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

I still think we need to get a team of people interested in this event.
    eh? i don't follow!
    someone said nice prizes. cool.
    i'd say there's been quite a bit of interest stimulated by that comment alone, gg tbh

are you saying that the lack of interest atm is a problem? (or something...)

myself and Meglome are gonna be putting our heads together on this one this evening so we'l let all you avid gamers know anything that happens. Lack of interest is not a problem btw.

Meglome/Dardoz.

Just because this board is more or less dead, dont get the wrong idea re: Irish interest in Quake.

The Irish Quake3 community has been small for a long time now, but the guys that still ARE left here are the hardcore ones with big interest in Q3, and if someone can help us send a representative to the WCG, well that's fukkin cool and I hope you can deliver. There are players like Koopa everywhere, that could be world famous if they had been given the chance, the likes of Koopa hasn't. Given the chance (and a few slaps from me and bunny), he can be the best.

Advertisement