Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Win2k problems

• 27-06-2001 12:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

I upgraded to win2k from 98 and I find Direct 3d performance is lacking. This takes the shape of D3D games constantly accessing the HDD and as a result freezing up periodically.

OpenGl seems perfect, so what could be wrong?

SPECS
    ======================
    p31000mhz
    128mb 133mhz
    intel i815 mobo (133 fsb)
    Geforce 2 GTS (10.80 drivers)
    Direct X 8a
    Win2000 with SP2
    SB 64v

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

was it an upgrade or a clean install?
    get a screen shot of dxdiag and post it up here.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

It was an upgrade
    Nothing out of the ordinary to report with dxdiag. Only the "uncertified drivers" crap u always get for unofficial detonator drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

NVidia have released official upgrades (around a month ago) - the 5.13.01.1241 ones. These aren't unoffical betas like the ones Reactor Critical and The-Ctrl-Alt-Del have been releasing.

Also, every game will access the HD much more as Win2k uses a lot more RAM by default (uses around 40-50MB at boot). You could use one of the RAM freeing utilities (unloads unused libraries, etc. ) and you can get maybe 92MB free physical mem on it. DX also uses more mem than OGL, and has way more libs in use at any one time. I would say that anything in windows with excessive HD access is a RAM prob, and Win2k really uses a lot of it itself. D3D *performance* (as in quality of display, update speed, but *not* if teh HD is going crazy) should be better than Win98/me with similar versions (it is for me); as long as you have enough RAM.

I just read the last post - you will have endless problems with useless libraries cluttering your system if you do an upgrade and not a clean install.

[This message has been edited by Red Moose (edited 27-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

good advice, thanks! I reckon its the ram alright, everything seems a little slow, even just desktop navigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

There is a massive speed difference if you do a clean install instead of an upgrade.

If you have more then one drive (and enough space), you can create a totally clean install without having to format or anything. May have to install a few proggys but you can go back to your previous install still.

• Advertisement
Advertisement