Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any oldies fans?

Options
  • 14-05-2002 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

i was wondering is there any fans of the great classics out there.

of course im talking about dylan, s&g, eagles, beatles, donavan etc.

and im not just asking people who grew up with that kinda music, im 18 and its all i listen to! and i was curious to know are there any young people listening to/playing their classics.

tell us what you listen to, favourate song etc. whatever just let me know your out there

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

While I couldn't say its all I listen too, I'm the same age as you and am more than I little fond of the music of a bygone era. 60s mainly. And yeah, I've often wondered where the love came from. I put it down to older siblings and being exposed to certain types of music when you're wee. It sticks with you I think. I won't start naming all the bands I like cause that would be time-consuming and time is one of the many things I don't possess. However, I do have a particular love of The Beach Boys and in my life have only ever found myself acquainted with 3 people who love them too, Joey D being one and David McGuinness from the now disbanded Lir being another. My best friend is really really into american folk and it's practically all she listens to. You're definitely not one of a kind so don't worry anyway!

Much Love,
    Roxy

You goin to see Paul Simon in Kilkenny? might catch you there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

ehh beatles, beach boys, doors, led zeppelin, tim buckley, lynyrd skynyrd, lots of floyd.. but most of that is late 60s/70s stuff..
    apart from the few cds of pre-pet sounds beach boys stuff..
    not into dylan at all just dont like his voice, songwriting yes, but just cant listen to them sung by him...
    apart from that only other stuff i have around that era is all jazz.. davis/coltrane and mulligan/baker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by Kali

not into dylan at all just dont like his voice, songwriting yes, but just cant listen to them sung by him...

Glad to hear somebody else feels the same way about Dylan as I do - I love his songs done by other people (recent compilations with Uncut magazine were fab) but never liked the vocals or the arrangements.

As for the 'old stuff' I like, sheesh, have you got a few hours? Probably easier to list the stuff I don't like - never that sold on post-Syd Floyd or the Lynnyrd Skynnyrd (sp?) end of things, can only tolerate prog rock in small doses. Apart from that - classic rock (of the cheesiest kind sometimes!), psychedelia, 60s pop, garage and soul, 70s bubblegum pop, glam rock, krautrock, schlock rock... bring it on!

Oh, and I hate Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'm a big Velvet Underground fan. I'd also listen to most of Zappa's stuff (alot of the Flo and Eddie era stuff gets a bit boring after awhile, except 200 Motels). A good bit of Pink Floyds post Syd is well worth a listen imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

yep the old stuff is pretty much all that appeals to me namely

Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, Beatles, Queen, Dire Straits etc etc.

New music sucks azz ( some very nice videos though :))

bah i forgot janis joplin and todd rundgren.. although i much prefer the latter (joplins voice can be overbearing at times)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Frank Sinatra mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭MelKor

Originally posted by roxy

You goin to see Paul Simon in Kilkenny? might catch you there!

actually i was thinking of going but to be honest since the two split up pual simons kinda gone slightly downhill, the album he recorded in south africa for example (cant remember the name of it) anyway i dont think ill go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

simply cant beat Neil Young

everyone go out and buy Harvest - f*ckin class album

other albums of note - johnny cash - live at folsom prison/san quentin (much better than folsom imo)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Originally posted by Lolo
    Oh, and I hate Queen.

NAAAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!!!

The nerve! THE NERVE!!!!! Freddie damns youfrom the heavens!!!;)

Originally posted by BiTchiN

the album he recorded in south africa for example (cant remember the name of it)

Graceland. No, I definitely prefer him as part of a duo. I saw a video of a live gig he played in Central Park a few years ago and the crowd are all middle-aged, and they're all American and they're ..very into their spiritual side and it's a bit creepy.....like has anyone seen that as on the tv for a cd boxset, 'Songs of Worship' or somesuch. American thing. They're just a little too happy......call me small-minded but I just don't think people can be that much at peace with themselves..all the time....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

that ad is scary. Those people are WAYYYY to into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Gerry

ehh beatles, beach boys, doors, led zeppelin, tim buckley, lynyrd skynyrd, lots of floyd.. but most of that is late 60s/70s stuff..
    apart from the few cds of pre-pet sounds beach boys stuff..
    apart from that only other stuff i have around that era is all jazz.. davis/coltrane and mulligan/baker

heh, I'm not the greatest fan of dylans voice, and jimi hendrix wasn't the best singer either, but:

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower

what a song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"I saw a video of a live gig he played in Central Park" I've got a tape of that gig and it's great. He plays a fair few Simon and Garfunkle song's too and it's not like a religious thing at all.

The crowd cheered when he sang the line "I went outside to smoke myself a j"

His first solo album is deadly, Graceland's quite good too though at parts the African singing is annoying.

Originally posted by roxy

Graceland. No, I definitely prefer him as part of a duo. I saw a video of a live gig he played in Central Park a few years ago and the crowd are all middle-aged, and they're all American and they're ..very into their spiritual side and it's a bit creepy

aye ive seen this, its the oprah crowd. all 35-50, middle-upper income scale... and the band wearing all multi-cultural robes or whatever.. blurgh.

Originally posted by Oeneus

Freddie damns youfrom the heavens!!!;)

No, Freddie actively haunts me - if there's a Queen fan in any room they'll seek me out and try and convert me. And now that bloody musical has just opened. My brother was an obsessive Queen fan in the 80s and I've been scarred for life.

its the oprah crowd.

That's exactly it!! I couldn't put my finger on it but you nailed it man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Elvis, Roy Orbison, The Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Jimi Hendrix, Neil Diamond... lot's of old music is brilliant. Mostly Elvis for me though - no better voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Neil Young, Tim Buckley, Bob Dylan, The Doors, THe Beach BOys, Plenty Hendrix, Pink FLoyd, Woodie Guthrie, Simon and Garfunkel,
    Nina Simone, Cream, Beatles, Nick Drake,

All the classic stuff is way better than any of the rubbish the likes of sum41 or limp biskit or blink 182 are churning out today. Hope that doesn't ruffle too many feathers but thats how i feel. THe only music that excites me nowadays is the incredible amount of talent there is in this country at the moment, The Frames, DAmien Rice, David Kitt, Jimmy CAke, Bell X1, REdneck Manifesto. Its savage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 racer20

anyone remember the following,rainbow,george hatcherband,television,boston?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Steely Dan, Miles Davis, Ray Stevens, Mr. Mister, Eagles, Beach Boys. Not big into Dylan or the Beatles.

Originally posted by racer20
    anyone remember the following,rainbow,george hatcherband,television,boston?

it's a bit bizarre to see Television in there with Rainbow and Boston, (no idea who the george hatcher band are)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 TheLizardKing

Graceland.......He's brilliant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭LUZ

i like all sorts, my dads fault really, just grew up with it. stuff like van morrison, niel young, csny, jethro tull, rainbow, pink floyd, paul simon, 10,000 maniacs-not so old. um... richard thompson..."how many nights ,1 night satnds, how many lips, how many hands have held you? like im holding you tonight..." excellent.!! thin lizzy- ill never forget the day my dad got back from overseas with a brand new cd system, bose speakers, the whole lot. proudly plugged it all in, put in a thin lizzy cd...we heard the first 6 notes of whiskey in the jar... and it blew up. he hadnt switched the voltage on the back!! took another 6 weeks before we could try again!!:D :D :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

beatles Beatles BEATLES!!!!!! WOOO!!! i can't emphasise this enough. they really are the best bloody group on the planet, and i get to go off and read a million books on them cause they're on this years leaving cert music syllabus :) hell, in that class, people take notes from ME.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Absolutley agree with the Beatles, although I love it ALL...since my parents grew up in that era I was rasied on all of that oldie music...I tihnk this is the reason most of us like it, because our parents did, and who controls the radio in the car when your a kid? lol
    everyone has listed the best bands, none of them are bad, however there is one person I detest and cant understand where all the appeal is....
    Tom Jones, yuk :confused:
    what is the deal with that guy really :rolleyes:

My favorites though, Beatles, Hendrix, Allman Bros., Lynard skynyrd, Doors, Pink Floyd....ofcourse I could go on and on,
    oh and how can you not dig Queen? they had some awesome music! for shame, really ;)

oh and come on now, I love Elvis as much as the next Elvis fan, but this new song of his being released, It's a bit annoying..maybe because they play it a 100 times a day! pfftt!
    And Yes, he is DeAd! dead and gone, bye bye
    hehehe:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

I'm (hopefully) going to see Art Garfunkel at Belfast's Waterfront Hall in October. Does he sing any of the old S & G stuff in his solo act, or is it all his solo stuff? (By the way, Bright Eyes is a classic anyway, as is I Only Have Eyes For You- guess who THAT song reminds me of!)

Advertisement