Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox Redesign

Options
  • 14-05-2002 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭

Since Im the offical Boards.ie XBox fan I thought I would post this :)

"We have learned that Microsoft is planning to release a new model of the Xbox hardware this year. The new revision to the Xbox came to light during frenzied bidding for the rights to produce the DVD components for the machine, for which Benq is likely to emerge victorious. For reference, Thomson, Samsung and Philips make the drives at present.

The news was leaked accidentally as Microsoft took tenders from the world's leading electronics companies to supply core components for the new machine.

Exactly what form this new model will take is unclear. From what we know, it is likely that DVD playback will be a standard, out-of-the-box feature, though a hardware redesign isn't out of the question.

Microsoft UK could not comment on this issue before we went to press, though it will be contacting the US for confirmation and we should have comment tomorrow"

I got it from a good source, Im sure it will be on every games website around soon..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Interesting..

I wonder will this replace the current x-box and retail at the same price or will it be marketed and sold as a superior model.

I'm still holding off from coughing up the readies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I can't see them doing a trade in based on the large wad of cash they just throwing away at the moment, and just for a DVD player is it really worth it? (better off getting a real DVD player instead).

Sell it at higher price? Prehaps. They could tout that's way better then the current model and use that excuse, although I can't see shipping minor upgrades to the machine and trying to sell it will improve it's chances anymore? Games tend to sell consoles more then upgrading.

If it's XBox2 (which is in the works) then having it so soon to the XBox release seems like a waste. Your just going to have loads of pissed off vendors with XBox's they can't get rid of (either that or a large warehouse in MS full of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I think its more like PSone - smaller and with DVD built in..

Its MS listening to the **** being thrown at them and changing the product accordingly

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    I think its more like PSone - smaller and with DVD built in..

PS one had been out how many years beforehand though? Five years or there abouts.

PSone was just to resell an old machine in a new look so people would buy it again, but then the price of it was even cheaper by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

this seems MS seeing that the people dont like a few things and changing them now, and not in 5 years time. They are therefore getting rid of a few of the reasons some people said they did not like the machine now.

Now we can only wait for a few years to see if it actually works :)

• Advertisement

the only difference between the PSX and PSone was the case and that it was slightly smaller.

Nothing else (cept maybe the price).

Like I said it was to repackage the same machine to look newer so people would buy it again.

I don't see how people changing an XBox so soon will help. Those XBox fanboi's will already have thiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

"the only difference between the PSX and PSone was the case and that it was slightly smaller." Its quiet a bit smaller imo.

The PSone didn't come out for ages because Sony got it pretty much right with the playstation - PSX was probably a way of keeping the design upto date, keep it stylish and probably introduce cheaper components.

The Xbox on the other hand could do with loosing a little weight and maybe getting a better image. Its a bit of a brick imo. Not that the ps2 is any prettier and the Gamecube looks like a toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

One thing I'd like to see them change is that blinkin controller!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    this seems MS seeing that the people dont like a few things and changing them now, and not in 5 years time.

Shame they didn't carry out a bit of market research before they launched the thing though, eh? I mean Christ, first the harddrive, then the joypad, then the sales forcasts and now this :)

It'll obviously boost sales, especially in Japan, where some developers had even gone so far as to say a redesign would be like a second launch - I'm sure the ugliness of the current design puts off many people.

Side note: Why on earth can't we get a console to rival the looks of a run-of-the-mill DVD player? Neither of the three consoles could really be described as contemporary looking, could they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan

Neither of the three consoles could really be described as contemporary looking, could they?

I guess console manufacturers are naive enough to think that ppl buy consoles for the games and not constantly feel so oppressed, that the unit under the TV must conform to some contemporary styling.

Man, this will be funny if it is "Xbox2"....AthlonXP blah blah blah.
    ..even more roxor than Xbox1, and mp3 playback.."the future of video gaming2".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

While the look of a console has little bearing on wheter or not I buy it - that's not the case for most people. Its nice to think that for the mass-market its the games that matter, but its not true. Image is hugely important, I know many people who straight away discount the XBox and GC because of their looks.

And be honest, wouldn't you rather a console that wouldn't look like an eyesore when placed on your entertainment unit alongside your Hi-Fi and DVD player?

GC is so small it fits in one of the drawers in the sitting room. Normally dump it there to keep it away from the kids, but having controllers hanging out looks messy anyway.

I told myself I wouldn't buy an XBox because of the stunt MS pulled with Bungie/Halo. I don't see why I should give money to people to endorse that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Most of my friends said they wont be buying an xbox because of its large size. Thats were microsoft went wrong, casual gamers want something that looks good, supposedly.
    The only thing about the gc it looks like a kids toy, so most casual gamers will dismiss that too.
    Which leaves the ps2, which is supposed to be cool, their choice.

The dreamcast was a reasonable size, so if they reduced the xbox to roughly the size of the d.c, i'd say sales would pick up.

Microsoft are becoming quite cocky now, wanting you to buy a different version of xp for every p.c you own. All the info they want is a bit much.
    So i say go buy a Gamecube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I dont see how the size of the machine can put ppl off buying it. You could make the prettiest console in the world but it wont sell unless it has either Great Games or a name and the Hype to sell it (PS2's sold well due to the general good name of the console)
    The main thing is GAMES CONSOLE so the games are what will turn the X-Box around if it is to turn around.

I dont think MS will launch a new X-Box with DVD out of the Box without Reqarding the ppl who bought the original. that would just cause uproar. More than likely MS will try and release this new Box but will reward existing customers with a free game (Kinda like Chu-Chu rocket with the DC).
    One thing I'd like to see them change is that blinkin controller!

you can buy a smaller controller atm. As far as I know all the X-Box prepherials are universal so the Jap or American ones will work over here.
    Check out www.liksang.com if your interested. you can also get mod chips :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Service Pack 1 anyone?

gg microsoft, you pillar of rock solid software.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well I think it would be unfair for MS to change console specs as it would annoy existing owners and consoles aren't really meant to change specs (thus their appeal). Then again, it is MS!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

If I've said it once .. I've said it a thousand times:

Why buy an XBox .. its a stripped down PC.

With this new "Xbox2" with improved DVD drive around, imagine if it were a PC. Just change the DVD drive, instead of having to get a whole new machine.

I think M$ are beginning to learn the VERY hard way that the console market does not forgive mistakes and is exceptionally ruthless. There's no such thing as a service pack in the console world, or simply slapping in more RAM.

Advertisement