Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual booting windows 98 and 2k

• 24-06-2001 12:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I've been running Windows 2000 (sp2) for a few months now without a problem, I love it. However, I got my hands on a second hand copy of Final Fantasy 7, which seems to dislike Windows NT/2K. So, I installed windows 98 (on a separate HD), and FF7 works. (Though it will only run in software mode, doesn't seem to like modern 3D accelerators - GeForce 2 GTS).

The problem is this - I have to change the boot order in my bios every time I switch OS, which is a pain in the bum. I'd much rather use the Win2k bootloader to do it, if possible. I think the problem is that I installed win98 AFTER win2k. I read a document from the MS knowledge base which gave instructions for installing '98 after 2K/NT4, but it doesn't seem to help.

more details:
    Win2k is installed on an 8.5 gig NTFS-formatted SCSI drive. (D :)
    Win98 is installed on a 10 gig FAT32-fortmatted IDE drive (C :)

I tried using powerquest bootmagic to force the system to dual boot... to no avail. I installed it on the fat32 partition from win98 (as its readme instructed). It was able to boot win98 just fine, but would just crash when trying to boot win2k. Switching the boot order as before allows me to boot whichever OS, but its still a pain in the ass.

Any help here would be appreciated :)

- Munch

[This message has been edited by Stephen (edited 24-06-2001).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

use , dare i say it, LILO.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I fear linux wink.gif

Any way to get LILO installed without installing a linux distro?

Bear in mind i know *nothing* about linux/unix/whatever besides the fact that it exists.

- Munch

it can be found here but i would imagine to install it like this you would have to run Unix from a floppy and install it that way.
    it a "Tar gunzip", although winrar can handle those?

can you set the machine to boot Win98 and then post your "boot.ini" up here.

That site seems to be down.

As for running unix from a floppy, I haven't a clue smile.gif

• Advertisement

I'm in win2k at the moment ... 98 wouldn't be able to see the boot.ini anyway as its on an NTFS disk.

[boot loader]
    timeout=0
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console" /cmdcons

I tried adding an entry for the IDE C drive using the above risc-arc naming, but it didn't work. I got the correct identification for the IDE drive by running the win2k recovery console and using the "map arc" command.

- Munch

your problem is the way you installed them.
    LILO is your best option stephen but unfortunatley thats not an option for you.
    when you were installing 98, did it not see win2k and edit the boot.ini?
    strange stuff mate.

The windows 98 installer detected the NTFS drive and just gave a warning about not being able to read it, and that was that. It did not interfere with 2k's boot process. Its like the two OS's are oblivious to each other's existence. I think it may be something to do with 98 being installed on the primary (and only) IDE drive, and 2k being installed on the only SCSI drive, but I'm not sure :/

- Munch

One OS on IDE and One OS on SCSI, that equation can only be trouble.
    Although had you done it the other way around (but you did'nt so this is irrelevant)...
    Dump 98 and go for XP, its sweet and has 95/98 compatibility modes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

use another boot program like System Commander 2000, I have it here on a system with quad boot on it, works a treat.

http://www.systemcommander.com

Leverz

• Advertisement

although that may work, the order of the OS's being installed may be a prob for a windows bootloader?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I don't think using the MS software steps are going to work, ever. If win2k is like NT then not only do you need the modify the Boot.ini with partition/drive info but to have a working version of Bootsect.dos on it's own root drive. I think the fact that this file will be on and NTFS paritition is what stopped it from working for you.

3rd party boot managers be the only way.

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 24-06-2001).]

I reinstalled win2k (ie, after win98), and the dual boot works fine now, but with a few oddities...

My scsi drive (on which win2k is installed on (fat32 partition)) is now drive F: (been placed after DVD and CDRW drives D and E) in win2k, and D: in win98.

Win98 now pauses for about 7 minutes at its splash screen, and then resumes booting as normal.

Besides those 2 annoyances, all seems well.

- Munch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

hmm.. I was jsut about to suggest installing WIndows 2000 AFTER 98, but you did that, and it worked.
    I did the same, and Win98 loads in about 10 seconds, shuts down in 5. Amazing what a clean install will do wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

The only thinkg you should be careful of now is the Program Files usage; use X-Setup or something (or just edit the registry) to set the Program Files for each OS differently. it uses a bit more space, but I had trouble with it until I set the Win98 Program Files directory to a separate one (like C:\Win98 Programs\).

Also, you can get a patch for NVidia cards to run FF7 - it's listed as a Riva128 patch (old card I know), but it works and gives 3D accel with new Nvidia cards for the game (16bit colour, etc., ). It will crash if you enter combat (i.e., at the very beginning) on Windows 2000 though, so the patch is only good for playing under Windows 95/98/me.

[This message has been edited by Red Moose (edited 25-06-2001).]

The program files thing is no problem, as both OS's are on different hard drives.

I tried that Riva patch for FF7 on win98 before, it doesn't seem to work though frown.gif

When you start ff7 with that patch installed it just blanks the screen for a second and then returns to windows... ?

- Munch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Well it's a pity as the 16bit colour really adds to the combat. I know it worked on the TNT 1 and 2 cards so maybe the tech just changed too much with the GF line. My advice would be to buy/rent the Playstation version then (I've seen it new on budget for £15 or so) and use ePSXe to play it - it's much nicer to play than the 256 colour PC version (plus you could just wipe Win98 now but after all the trouble getting it installed it's probably not worth it wink.gif ).

http://www.psxemu.com

I found that using the emulators get me better results than trying to play the PC ports for PSX games on WIndows 2000 (plus, you can use mad high resolutions like 1600x1200 for Tekken 3). It's a great game either way though.

[This message has been edited by Red Moose (edited 26-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Rather then reinstalling a POS OS to play a POS game. (FF7 is only good on PS).

If you have Service Pack 2 installed...

1. Right click on the icon that launches the program and select properties.
    2. Select the compatability tab.
    3. Switch it from W2K to W98.
    4. Click OK
    5. Play the game
    6. Don't blame Hobbes if it trashes your machine.

Thanks for the tip hobbes...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    6. Don't blame Hobbes if it trashes your machine.</font>

Sure tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Stephen (edited 26-06-2001).]

Eh Hobbes... there is no compatibility tab on the properties of ff7.exe OR the shortcut that starts it ( ? )

And SP2 is installed.

[This message has been edited by Stephen (edited 26-06-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Wwman, I got the dual boot working after reinstalling win2k smile.gif

The only remaining problem really is the way win98 seems to freeze for minutes during boot... then proceeds to load as usual. Maybe this merits a topic of its own...

- Munch

[This message has been edited by Stephen (edited 27-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stephen:
    Eh Hobbes... there is no compatibility tab on the properties of ff7.exe OR the shortcut that starts it ( ? )</font>

Not sure what your using then.. eg.

would1lie2u.gif

that is a shortcut, not the EXE. Maybe try making a brand new shortcut.

I'm using windows 2000 professional, sp2, that's all, Hobbes. Tried making a new shortcut and all:

ff7shortcut.jpg

Never mind, good ol' MS Knowledge base sorted it out smile.gif

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q279/7/92.ASP

Edit: gaaah, FF7 isn't working under compatibility mode... time to reboot into win98 and wait for that 7 minute pause frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Stephen (edited 27-06-2001).]

Advertisement