Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2k freezing problem is driving me insane

• 27-06-2001 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I recently put my pc back together (don't ask).
    It's a abit kt7a mb, AMD duron processor clocked to 1000, 128 megs pc100 generic ram, 20 gig IBM hard drive all in one of those full tower cases from peats (not sure what wattage psu these come with... gerry?)

Anyway I've installed Win2k and immediately upon booting everything is extremly sluggish... if i try to open say explorer it takes a good 60+ seconds for the window to open.. if i click my computer then double click the c drive it'll take another good maybe 2 or 3 minutes to open and everything will freeze until it opens...

I installed the via 4.32 final drivers (installation prog took about 6 minutes to start)rebooted, then installed my graphics card drivers (installation prog took about 6 minutes to start) rebooted and then installed service pack 2. Everything is still extremly sluggish and slow. Sometimes it reboots and folders open without a problem.. installation progs are still slow to start and I can't run any half life at all it turns off my monitor. Quake3 ran but was unplayable.

I've reformatted and reinstalled totally 5 times since friday using two different windows 2000 disks. I'm at my wits end... this is driving me crazy.. Thing is I had this machine running perfectly with a diff case, psu and hard drive before now.. also I was using the older via drivers at the time.

Any ideas at all?

.logic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Install the lastest service pack and/or the amd patches as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Was just at the AMD site (which I didn't check b4 for some obscure reason) They have an AGP hotfix there which I thought was included with Service Pack 2 but I'm gonna try it tonight anyway. Hopefully it'll work.
    Tx Rev.

.logic.

Advertisement