Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have questions about ISDN

• 24-06-2001 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

The booting from Esat has got me thinking about ISDN.

My main question is: If I order ISDN and get it installed, and lets say in October Eircom introduce a No Limits type service for 56kers, will I be able to simply unplug my TA or whatever, and connect at 56k to this service with my new digital lineusing my standard modem? You see, I'd be interested in 56k flat rate for general browsing etc, while using the ISDN for gaming.

I thought I had more questions...if they come back to me I'll post em up smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Yes you will be able too. You won't need to unplug your ta because in the box eircom install theres 2 digital sockets and 2 analogue so providing u still have your modem just put the analogue lead into your modem and the one of the anologue sockets and put the digital lead into ur ta and a digital socket. I did this whilst esat still worked biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

ya u can do that bugler, i know some ppl that used esat for normal use and used isdn for Q3 and that. Thats before they got kicked off nolimits. And u can connect at 56k or whatever max speed ure modem can do over an isdn line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Ok thx lads.I'll mull it over some more.

Another question.I'll want one line in my upstairs bedroom.We also have two fones on the primary line, one upstairs in the next room to me and the other downstairs in my sitting room.What way will this work out for me? Will I need to buy a router/hub thing? If so how much will that be? Thx.

^Bump^ :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i got a isdn and ive a phone with my computer and on the same line one in another room ... shoudent be ok .

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Take it to the Net/Comms forum fs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,460 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It might be worth your while going with ISDN now - should cut your phone bills if you are doing big downloads - slightly more expensive if you are going to use the same usage.

You might be able to get some sort of splitter for the upstairs phone line to connect to the PC for less than a fiver - don't seee any problems - upgrade your internal wiring to CAT 5 / 6 - Gambler or a half dozen other boarsd.ie members might be able to help you out there.

TA should cost £100 or so.

A simple hub should cost the same.

You won't need to unplug - simple conttrol panel changes will do it.

Note if you want to connect at 115k you will be charged for 2 simulataneous phone calls (can get expensive) and you won't be able to use the other phone line.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

It is highly unlikely a hub will broadcast isdn packets. if that is what u mean.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

just on the phone thing - I had the same dilemma when I got it installed. We had three phones in our house, 1 in the hall which was where the old analogue line entered the house, and this was then wired up to 1 in the upstairs bedroom, and 1 to the study (also upstairs where comp etc was). Anyway the Eircom engineer was extremely nice, I explained what I wanted and he actually brought the line around the back of the house and in through the study wall upstairs. He then ran a wire off this one through a splitter before it reached the WallBox, which he connected to the old phone wires (so it was now connected up/down rather than down/up if you see what I mean). So I still have my three extensions and ISDN aswell.

One thing to note though, the guy I got was extremely helpful - he said that they are supposed to charge xtra for doing this work at £40 an hour or something, but he agreed to do it for me for free. So make sure you establish what its gonna cost before doing anything.

Q

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Victor:

TA should cost £100 or so.

A simple hub should cost the same.

</font>

The best/cheapest TA is the Asuscom Internal PCI one, which you should be able to get for £25 Stg, others also rave about the Eicon Diva which I believe can be had for £60. Whatever you do, DO NOT TAKE THE EIRCOM TA!!!!

You shouldnt need a hub, (see my post above), unless you are going to do some home networking with 2 or more comps??????

Q

Advertisement