Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my system has suddenly become a dog

• 14-05-2002 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭

Up until recently i used to run win2k , then one day it just hung booting and just plain sat there..

So i though it just software gone wrong somehow..so whacked in the win2k disk and tried to install it..all went fine..then on reboot..again..it just sat there at the bootlogo going nowhere..

So , i though maybe it was a hard disk problem..stuck in another..same thing..

Had a copy of WinXP pro ..so installed that..and it works and still does...but...it is a COMPLETE AND UTTER DOG!!!

Everything i do seems to cache to the hard drive, even playing mp3's has the hdd light flickering away which never ever was the case before.

The mobo is a KG7-RAID with 512mb crucial 2.1 DDR memory, cpu is a 1400 athlon thunderbird..yet the system is slower than my old p3 450!! , avi's go out of sysnch , and just about everything causes the hdd to cache like crazy.

I've taken an airblower to the cpu and fan as the temperature was running a little hotter than normal lately (49c) and thats taken it back to about 46c, but neither of those temps are really too high imho for an athlon.

Have flashed the bios also on the advice of a friend ..but as suspected, it made not one iota of difference.

Ran "SiSoftware Sandra 2002 Standard" benchmarks on the various components (cpu memory hdd) ..all seem normal, though these tests only last a few seconds and dont really seem to stress the system at all.

Has anyone got ideas here, am at my wits end trying to understand what the hell has gone wrong :confused:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Do you hear weird noise's out fo your hard drive?
    Like it is struggling or chucking noises

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Don't see the word "format" in there anywhere.

Have you been formatting the disk (clean install) every time?

Or have you just been installing 2k over itself and then XP on top you bad boy :slap:

Without a clean install you'd be stuck with the registry you had before reinstalling - which is probably one of the problems in the first place.

Apologies if you've been clean installing

Defragging would be a good idea then though. PerfectDisk4 or O&O Defragger get the sceptre seal of approval™. Or ExecSoft Diskeeper if you must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

/me isn't THAT silly :) , i did say i tried another drive..which does rule out software i think and yep clean install was first thing i did.

Suppose i should have said this already, sorry.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

You have a motherboard with a VIA chipset. Have you tried downloading the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers. Solved the problem for me with a Abit KT7 board before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Hrm, the fact that W2K suddenly stopped working, and won't reinstall even on another HD would lead me to believe something (e.g. mobo, CPU, RAM) ist kaputt. Check in XP to see if DMA is enabled on your HD. If it isn't, try turning it on and see if it improves things. Also make sure you have up-to-date mobo chipset drivers. If it keeps running like crap, looks like it's a hardware problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If your hard disk ceeps caching there then there may be a mem leak or something and its having to do some serious file swop... see if you can try different mem.. or if you have a few dims.. try individually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

i think that there is a program called simtester which can test the ram if you don't have anymore spare

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I had similar problem with Win 98SE where it stopped booting altogether. It occasionally siad Windows System Error or something and wouldn't boot. I eventually pulled one of my RAM sticks out followed by another to find the second one was faulty. The PC booted no probs with the dodgy stick removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

il put money on the power supply being b0rked

StrataGIST , half wondering this myself, its the only thing i cannot benchmark, yet memory, cpu, hdd, video and cpu all benchmark as expected...just dont know how this could be causing it.

Really curious as to why you suggested it? , have you experienced somthing similar yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Longfield
    /me isn't THAT silly :)

That's why I apologised in advance for mentioning it:)

(bah, first half of sentence dumped - I mistook this for another post)
    I'd have guessed the disk controller but you'd certainly have a message on the screen about that or at least some obscure coded beeps

The disk isn't running in PIO mode, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Erm, the power supply won't make the machine go SLOWER. If the regulation is bad, the machine will crash when under load, or when going from idle to full load. Since your machine just appears to be slow, the psu isn't the problem. I don't know what the problem is, especially not at this time of the morning :)

I've spare psu's and hdd's lying around the place, so tomorrow gonnat yank out all the pci cards and mess about.

The memory works fine in another pc, so its rules out anyhow.

Have a horrible suspision its a mobo problem now :(

Is there any way of testing the mobo, like the pci bus etc ?, is about all i havent tested so far apart from the psu.

Advertisement