Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone vs Meteor

Options
  • 14-05-2002 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭

since this morning by way of miracle my Meteor phone has reception. seeing as i now have Vodafone and Meteor, which is cheaper?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Meteor i think, but only if you are texting and ringing people with meteor phones..

all 1 of you.

hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i only know 1 person with an 085 number and that person is me :(:( . the rates for ringing the UK seem to be great though :)
    does anyone know where i can get prices for Meteor calls because i can't find any on their website. i'm looking for Pay As You Go prices

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

TBH I think Meteor is f**kin brilliant. I'm saving hand over fist on my calls compared to Digifone/O2 and there service has been great when I've had a prob :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Lots of us students have meteor phones, because the banks were giving them away free with student accounts last september - along with IR£50 call credit.

I find the reception varies greatly depending where you are. Here in Carlow its great, but at home in Kilkenny its utter poo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Stephen
    I find the reception varies greatly depending where you are. Here in Carlow its great, but at home in Kilkenny its utter poo.
    I don't travel much outside Dublin, so I don't suffer from the holes in their coverage, but I'm impressed with Meteor. When I signed on in April last year they were the only ones offering decent phones on a pay-as-you go scheme. It also helps that in my home in central Dublin the signal strength on Meteor is better than the other two put together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Probably the biggest advantage of using Meteor is that you are charged the same price per minute all day, whereas other networks still use a peak/offpeak system. E.g. I'm on the speakeasy network using their 'Night Owl' rate system. In my job I need to make phone calls during the day (peak), but I make social calls in the evening and night (offpeak). So whether I use 'Night Owl' or 'Early Bird' I'm going to have to pay peak rate for calls. I was thinking of switching to Meteor for this reason - no more peak calls. Granted the call price is a bit more expensive than other networks, especially for trans-network calls, but I might end up saving money in the long run.

A lot of people are afraid of Meteor's coverage - now in fairness, when the began they had seriously ****e coverage, but now the reception in Dublin seems to be fine (usually), and it's getting better over the rest of the country (I had all the facts drilled into me when we started selling Meteor phones where I work a while back). The difference in text message price isn't really significant unless you send a lot of text messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I have been with meteor for about a year now and find them really great., but i text a lot more than a make calls so i save a lot. I have never had a problem getting coverage except maybe 5 or 6 times when i have had to try redialling a couple of times but after that it has worked fine. Plus an added advantage is that the people in the shops/support are super nice and my friends say the same - which makes a change.

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    does anyone know where i can get prices for Meteor calls because i can't find any on their website. i'm looking for Pay As You Go prices
    http://www.meteor.ie/phones/costbonus.html

Pretty much 9c for the cheap stuff (SMS, intranetwork calls), 32c to call any land line in Ireland or the UK, 45c to call mobiles in Ireland or the UK. There's no peak charges. There's no difference in charges between Pay As You Go and Pay Later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

thanks for that longword

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Been on Meteor for ages. Works it well pricewise but there are loads of pubs in central Dub that you can't get a signal in when 087ers and 086ers can.
    And yeah excellent for calling NI or UK from ROI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 speedyboy

Meteor seem to be making a big difference as regards customer care vodafone dont seem to care 90% of the time!

I reckon a twin sim is the way forward for cheaper calls and never out of coverage

Originally posted by speedyboy
    I reckon a twin sim is the way forward for cheaper calls and never out of coverage
    Not a bad idea. The trick there is getting on pay-as-you-go without winding up with an operator- or SIM-locked handset. I know both Vodafone and O2 lock their handsets. My 6210 from Meteor wasn't locked, but that was bought over a year ago and Meteor might have started locking them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Good Idea - My phone was a 1 year contract phone. I asked them for the unlocking key. But - Charging Sim cards takes time. I don't think that you would get fed up constantly changing them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 speedyboy

All the meteor handsets are network locked! But wherever theres a will theres a way!!!:D

Advertisement