Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trial offer of high speed cable modems in Kilkenny city area

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Got on this on friday night...
    So far it's some experience... downloaded some MS Office updates and got 203kb /sec... took longer to install that they did to download.
    Haven't got it set up fully yet (just http) but I'm sure that will be done on Monday or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Licksy20
    Got on this on friday night...
    So far it's some experience... downloaded some MS Office updates and got 203kb /sec...

holy $hittt :D thats like a 2meg line !!!!!

The service is probably going to be 512/128 when launched.... no details of pricing yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

/azezil packs up and heads for the big city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by azezil
    /azezil packs up and heads for the big city

Pity its a town

• Advertisement

Erm Kilkenny is a county with a tale of 2 cities....
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/1999/1027/se1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Hmmm, what's all this about, then? Are Chorus about to launch a cable service similar to NTL's offering in parts of Dublin? They seem to have kept all this fairly quiet. I know they were thinking about something like this a couple of years ago but didn't have the money to invest in it or something. So where the hell did this suddenely spring up from? Anyone got any more information about this I could have a look at because I'm on Chorus here in Portlaoise and if they can do this in Kilkenny surely they could do something similar here. Presumably, of course, they've upgraded part of the network in Kilkenny to be able to offer this and are just testing/trialing it at the moment but if it was reasonably priced at a flat-rate and it came around to this area I'd sign up for it myself because it's going to be years before we see ADSL here in Portlaoise. Any info or a web page describing this would be helpful, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Erm Kilkenny is a county with a tale of 2 cities....
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/1999/1027/se1.htm

Similar to Limerick's tiff with County Clare then

(OT I know)

Last years CatLaughs festival featured a lot of jokes at Kilkenny's expense about losing their official city status (royal charter) at the EU's behest due to it being too small.

Nice town/city though.

Judging by the experience of Licksy20 with the service it's well-worth trying out if you're in the area and haven't moved to Sky

I was first promised this from "Suir Nore Relays" (the company that Chorus bought out) in autumn 1999.... so it's great to see it finally here... bye bye huge phone bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I was first promised this from "Suir Nore Relays" (the company that Chorus bought out) in autumn 1999.... so it's great to see it finally here...

hmm, so thats a delay of aprox 3 yrs... alright, well I was promised powernet in april 2001... so that will mean I have to wait till..... 2004 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 hunkypex

Licksy have you got digital tv now that youve got this new cable?

What area do you live in because i emailed them and they didnt reply, possibly because they didnt get it somehow.

That was twice i emailed them and they didnt seem to get it.

I've had digital tv via cable for quite a while now... maybe 9-12 months... I dunno?
    I also have their cablephone product which i haven't used as i had ISDN but now i will rip out the ISDN and use thier phone whenever i need it... (rarely)
    I live near Loughboy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Do chrous offer cable in Kilkenny city?
    We still have Chorus Digital Wireless....is that what they are on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They're offering these trials over cable only, not their wireless (mmds) network.

Advertisement