Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over Clocked Modem

• 26-06-2001 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I suposably am after "Overclocking" my modem , my maximum speed is now set to 230400 instead of 115200, i am wondering is this after "Overclocking" it or is that just nothing..? will it be dangerous or anything?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

What you want to do is up the voltage of the phone line.

A small transformer between the wall socket and the modem should do this. Then you want some cooling, I'd recommend an industrial air conditioner (I believe the Mitsubishi ones are best) and a water cooler based on a bong.

Rob.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I doubt this is a serious post but modems are usually on the serial port, that number is the speed the serial port is set at not your modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

At best there are registry tweeks you can do for windows to REPORT a speed higher than 53,333bps on an analog phone line ,but reporting is all they do, a standard phone will just corrupt the data usually over this rate. In fact thats why all modems sold here in europe are supposed to be limited to 53,333bps even if they are sold as "56K". No amout of meddling with you're wall socket or windows is going to change that simple fact.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Chances are you have 16550B rather than 16550A as most ppl have...

Its only to do with the speed between ur PC and the modem,

trash

As for the voltage increasing ..
    funny
    tongue.gif

RentZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

uart that is

• Advertisement

If you are looking for general info have a look here,

http://www1.sympatico.ca/help/Learn/FAQ/modemspeed.html

or for something more specifically techhie,some pretty good tweeks and info, check out..

http://users.aol.com/axcel216/56k.htm

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Longfield:
    ...a standard phone will just corrupt the data usually over this rate. In fact thats why all modems sold here in europe are supposed to be limited to 53,333bps even if they are sold as "56K".</font>

Can you point me to a source for the alleged European 53,333bps limitation?

I've just read Anonymous Coward's excellent post "56k modems/frame/ptp revisited (LONG) (fwd)". He explains why USR sold their X2 modems with a 53.3K lock, and why K56Flex did not have that limitation.
    http://www.slashdot.org/articles/98/09/17/1016228.shtml

The highest speed in the V.90 specification is 56000 so I can't see any reason why a V.90 modem could not give a 56000 connect under ideal conditions. Do you think they'll let me into the exchange to test this theory using a 5m patch cable direct to my line card? wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,460 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Timed a 33.6 modem doing 72 (with compression) - then again I was 100 metres from Merrion exchange - sod all packet loss.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Robbo:
    What you want to do is up the voltage of the phone line. A small transformer between the wall socket and the modem should do this. Then you want some cooling, I'd recommend an industrial air conditioner (I believe the Mitsubishi ones are best) and a water cooler based on a bong.</font>

1. Transformer at home - say £100.
    2. Transformer at phone exchange - say £100.
    3. New phone line (direct from exchange) - say £2,000 to handle the voltage.
    4. Air conditioner (Mitsubishi are popular enough) Installed £4,000, depending on model.

Total cost £6,200 plus overheads - recommend you just get a leased line smile.giftongue.gif

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

[This message has been edited by Victor (edited 26-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Clearly, upping the voltage is a good idea :P

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Snowbat:
    Can you point me to a source for the alleged European 53,333bps limitation?

</font>

Sorry Snowbat, cannot remember where i read that, however i suggest you try v90=? in hyperterminal, this lists the acceptable connects speeds for you're modem, n=21 would correspond to 53,333, higher n values correspond to higher (potential) connect possibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

ok lads question?

when i ues that config posted above i get 140 150 nice ping in severs .. but it skys to bout 700 800 back down again then back up again in rough parts.. now when i use that same config just dialing up IOL free i get bout 40 50 higher ping but not half as much this rising ping thing y is this does any one know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,460 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thats most likely server side ping - you end up being logged onto different servers with different dial-ups...... one of those servers might be used for heavy downloading.

Advertisement