Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win98SE setup prob

• 15-05-2002 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

due to recent virus a machine i am working on had a messed up registry, it was in a continually loop restarting with the reg checker

i reinstalled win98se over its self to replace the reg....all going well until the part of install where it asks to keep or dispose of the system file from previous install:
    say yes- continious till 100% of backing up system files then error
    "application error:call to unified datalink" click ok and the system restarts

say no
    "application error:call to unified datalink" click ok and the system restarts

WTF? never seen this before...is a fresh format required??
    anyone seen this...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

(This should be in MS Apps/OS BTW)
    Not sure what the error is (try a Google), but you're pretty much always better off installing an OS from a fresh format.
    If you have stuff on the hard-drive that you want to keep but can't back up to another HD/CDR/whatever, just delete the Windows and Program Files directories from DOS and then reinstall windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, you're always better off with a fresh install, esp. after a crippling virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

You shouldn't build a house on sand. I have rebuilt many a machine after a disaster. On most occasions where I have 'saved' the machine and rebuilt retaining the registry, I have found that for one reason or another things go pear shaped again quickly (note there are always exceptions, on occasion a full recovery is possible).

My advice is the same as the others, reformat. You'll probably end up doing it in the end anyway.

Advertisement