Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New hardware & Win XP

• 15-05-2002 10:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Just built myself a new computer (spec following) and moved all the drives over from my old machine - hard drives, dvd ram, cdrw. When I started up the new machine with my WinXP Pro hard drive WinXP wouldnt start at all.. Kept giving me the old blue screen of death, even when I tried safe mode.

Old Machine
    P3 750
    2 x 80gb (1 NTFS - WinXP and 1 FAT - no OS)
    1 x 20gb
    256mb sdram
    sony dvd-ram & hitachi cdrw (not very relevant I'll grant you)

New Machine
    P4 2Ghz
    Same drives
    384mb sdram

I'm using all the same PCI cards with exception of my 10mbit network card as the intel motherboard has a 10/100 card built in.

I know I'll probably end up installing XP Pro on a fresh hard drive as at the end of the day its probably the best thing to do. Any ideas you'd have on my current predicament would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to keep my current setup. (Theres probably something very simple I'm missing but sleep deprivation is getting the better of me)

All I have to do now is get my monitor repaired... damn thing exploded last night :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You're always likeley to encounter problems unless you reformat the hard drives.

I wouldn't worry about product activation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Im assuming its a new mobo? Which is why you are getting the problem... usually best to reformat but otherwise BEFORE you strip system... on the old one you can sometimes remove all drivers and remove pci bus.. shut down.. swop over the stuff and boot up and half the time it will work fine.. others you will have to format anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Saruman
    Im assuming its a new mobo?

You assume correctly... Ta for the advice.. I'll give it a shot

Advertisement