Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compressing .avi

• 15-05-2002 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

Can .avi files be compressed signficantly and then burnt to cdr while compressed etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes.. plenty of compression software out there.. i.e. DivX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Any others cause divx doesnt seem to install properly on me pc cause of the stupid spyware sh!te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

doom9.org
    vchhelp.com

Look them up plenty of compression tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

DFont use DIvx5 and you wont have spyware

• Advertisement

that should have been "Dont use DivX 5"

Or do use divx5 and DONT INSTALL the spyware! You dont have to you know.. just take out the tick during the install!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by dempseyt
    Can .avi files be compressed signficantly and then burnt to cdr while compressed etc.
    Do you mean compressing the video and audio streams or compressing an existing AVI in terms of zipping it or something?

DivX 5 is pretty good for this sort of thing - people tend to use MP3 for the audio stream. Try VirtualDub (www.virtualdub.org) to actually do the donkeywork if you don't have something commercial - VDub is free and pretty good for this sort of stuff. Remember, you'll have to install the relevant codecs first (the pre-installed Fraunhofer MP3 codec will not encoding at rates above 64kbps - look for the LAME codec (google will find it) as a free alternative.

If you just want to compress an existing AVI without losing detail (compression algorithms such as DivX are lossy, in that they selectively remove detail from the video stream (just like MP3 does to audio) to make it easier to compress) I find that RAR does a better job than the various ZIP compressors - be sure to enable multimedia compression and choose to make solid archives.

Gadget

Its a made .avi file and it can't be made again. If i could make it again I could make it smaller, no problem, but its made and its about 200MB too big for a CDR. I'm only hoping.

200 mb is too big for a cd? Do you mean 2000mb?

• Advertisement

No, you misunderstood me. The file is about 853Mb in size(guessing). I need to reduce it's size by about 200Mb or get it below 650Mb or 700Mb for a CD-R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You could split the file into two chunks to spread it across 2 CD's.

Winzip will do this, as will other 3rd party apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

You could also split the file with virtua dub and hten you have a 2 cd avi ene even over lap where you cut it if you want.

If your gonna split it, a little freeware program called HJSplit is bloody brilliant, so easy to use, im sure even accountants could

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

hj split is brillo and its tiny only like 40k as far as i remember so ya can stick it on cd with the other files! sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by dempseyt
    Its a made .avi file and it can't be made again. If i could make it again I could make it smaller, no problem, but its made and its about 200MB too big for a CDR. I'm only hoping.

Eh? What do you mean it "can't be made again" - do you mean you don't have the original source material? If you check what codecs are used for the audio and video, maybe you can recompress it at a lower bitrate (with the associated loss in quality) to get it onto one CD?

Gadget

Tried the 2:1 compression algorithm ............. it looked worse but this is the best part... it was 18.0Gb.....hmmm, maybe i need someone who done this before to point the way for me

Advertisement