Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are female comedians funny ??

Options
  • 15-05-2002 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

Now I was at the Kilkenny festival last year and had an enjoyable time - went to a load of different shows, as you do, and fair enough some were good others not so good.

BUT what I really noticed was none of the women comedians made me laugh - I really thought they were useless and just wanted to leave , maybe I'm alone on this one but for me they just didn't have it in them to be comical.

Your opinions, views, expressions, complaints etc......

I'm not going to pole this one, that might be a tad too much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Maybe you should be posting in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51567

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Maybe I should pull your insides out muppet boy.
    THe debate here is the fact that I think stage comedy women are useless and have not thus far been proved wrong.

Now dont get me wrong, I've seen some on comedy shows, movies chat show and ye thought hilarious but stage thats a different ball game - I can even say this for some males.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

am i gay?
    err why saruman

but anyway i agree with evil george. I generally don't find female comedians all that funny. I don't know why really. Just look at Joe Brand, or smack the pony. It just doesn't tickle my fancy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

well i suppose i would have to agree... cant say i find any women funny.. i suppose because they tend to go on about womens problems and stuff and that gets laughs from the women... not men though!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Maybe it's because everyone who's agreed with the point made on this thread is male (I'm presuming) and we have a different idea of what humour is, compared to women. Does anyone find stuff like French & Saunders funny? I would a small bit, but then they're recognised as being at the top of their trade. I've never found female stand-up funny, but then I suppose it's not aimed at me......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by Saruman
    Maybe you should be posting in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51567

Damn right, I don`t think anyone really cares about lonely gimp george
    and his f u c k i n annoying sig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I think female comics aren't that funny although there are some good ones here and there, but for the most they just talk about complete crap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Well Jo Brand is funny to look at.... but her jokes are Shíte

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

NO they are not funny!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

smack the pony is funny. sort of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Deirdre O Kane
    Daisy Donavan
    Smake that Pony
    Jo Brand
    French And Saunders
    Ruby Wax

There arent many women comedians around but their all the ones i know and they are all good.

Oh no pcirl.com has offended me , hes such a witty person, I'm just out of my league here so I'll just go and hide in the corner, take your dress off before posting here please.

Deirdre O Kane I seen last year on stange - she was rubbish, I've also seen the Nulas (the 3 sisters or whatever) again not funny.

Yes it is a freaky signature.

You like IT didnt you george.

Haven't seen her on stage but she was good in Bull Island and as presenter of The Lounge and in Fergus' Wedding and in Paths to Freedom. Her impresionations are brilliant espically Anne Doyle and Mary Robinson.

so f u george.

Dont dis Deirdre, she is one funny bitch.

You didn't read my earlier log Elmo I was talking about on stage not on TV - they tend to be different on TV.

I agree that yes she is good on bull island but on stage did not impress me in the slightest.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Lads, if you don't keep this civil, I'm going to nuke the thread.

Behave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

SHUT THE FU...oh, sorry. :)

*slides slowly backwards out of room*

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

Originally posted by Elmo

Daisy Donavan
    Jo Brand
    French And Saunders
    Ruby Wax

There arent many women comedians around but their all the ones i know and they are all good.

Again, being a male, maybe I don't get into their humour...

Daisy Donovan.. she was excellent on the 11 O Clock show. But, I think she relied on acting semi-dippy, and her new show on tv, whatever it be called, isn't very good, relying on her ability to make a fool of herself alone isn't the best. Pretty girl, but she shouldn't rely on that either.

Jo Brand should be shot. Like most female comediennes I've seen, most of her material relies on bitching about women's problems and men (which most of them do). She's incredibly unfunny, and her blunt attitude was a little refreshing at the start, but like her, her material is old, and stale.

French and Saunders. I have a love-hate thing with their stuff. They can come out with side-splitting stuff. Dawn french on her own is a method comedian, and pretty crap, but the two of them together (suggesting saunders provided most of the material?) produced some classics.

Ruby Wax is annoying. Her nasal voice, her interfering/nosey attitude, and her penchant for rubbing noses with the rich and famous, where she sorta 'play-acts' with them, but in reality, most of those specials were her kissing their asses, which is sickening.

More closer to home... someone mentioned the nualas.. The better half is into them in a big way, so whenever they have a show in dublin, we go along.. The first time, yeah, alright I guess. Their material relies on them being culchie women with ticking biological clocks.. I think it appealed to the gf a lot more than me, she spent the whole time laughing, I just sat there going 'wha'.. the second time we went to see them, I had the same reaction, even she admitted the material wasn't exactly *new* bar locations and names changing.

Meh, I'm sure there's a few good ones out there, but I just can't think of them at the minute 8)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i agree, women are rubbish stand-ups

they are better on tv bcos they dont have to write they're own matherial, and they can rehearse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by LoGiE
    Well Jo Brand is funny to look at.... but her jokes are Shíte

Jo Brand's entire comedy shows consist of jokes about her [over]weight.

She slags herslef for being fat and the canned laughter button is pushed.

Daisy Donavan was funny on the eleven o'clock show*, although she regularly either laughed or was visually trying to stop herself from laughing. Comedians should *never* laugh at their own jokes.

* Ali G used to be funny on the eleven o'clock show - i used to watch it just for him. when he intervewed fuckwits who had no idea what he was saying it was funny. Then he got his own show, and obviously the guests on it knew who he was, and what his jokes were, and that was completely unfunny, since the essence of his humour is in the ignorance of his guests (FBI for example).

Case: Interview with the Beckhams - they knew that the ali g character was a white person who thinks he is a black gangster before they sat the interview - All comedy is lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

bump

Advertisement