Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCSI +IDE ?

• 29-06-2001 3:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Just wondering i had a fella onto me today looking for a few parts an IDE hdd being one of them then he go`s on to say he has a scsi hdd and card and wants to run them together (IDE/SCSI HDD`S).Now my problem is that i vaguley remember a good while ago hearing this cant be done i have to admit ive never actualy come across an IDE SCSI combo before (perhaps i just mix whith the wrong people smile.gif )
    Anyone shed some light on this please ?
    Is it possible to select scsi or IDE HDD on strartup.

Stone biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Stonemason (edited 29-06-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

If you're wanting to boot to the SCSI card first It depends on the MBD BIOS. Most nowadays (And in the last year or so) have an option for SCSI/External/AddOnCard (They used some pretty strange names over time).

If he doesn't have any such option then there may be a way around it depending on the OS he has. Win NT, 2k and afaik 98 can look through the BIOS and query IDE drives directly. This means that you can disable the drive (not the controller, just the drive itself, turn off set it from xxxxx/AutoDetect to NONE), the BIOS won't see it and will boot from the SCSI, but the OS will allow you to access it as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

FYI, I'm running an IDE+SCSI system here - 1 SCSI HD, 1 IDE HD and IDE CDRW and DVD drives, no problem at all. The way it works in my bios is as follows: It gives priority to IDE HD's - the ide disk is called "Hard Disk 0" in the bios. The SCSI disk is Hard Disk 1. Windows 98 and 2k seem to insist on having the IDE disk as C and I haven't found a way around this bar removing it and installing windows on the SCSI disk. 'Course windows (2000 and 98/ME at least) will work just fine booting from a drive other than C smile.gif

atm I have win2k installed on the scsi drive (F) and Win98 on the IDE (C).

- Munch

Advertisement