Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Connecting your computer to the network" - unnecessary?

• 15-05-2002 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Whenever connecting to the Internet, this bit at the end, where the dialog box says "Connecting your computer to the Network" takes ages and seems to freeze up all the running programs for a wee while.

I seem to remember this step/option not being necessary at all, and that disabling it can speed up the connection process -, but naturally, I don't know where to disable it.

I'm using Windows 2000 Pro SP2.

Anyone know what the story is with it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

No need for it. Turn it off, and turn off IPX and NetBEUI protocalls if it's using them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

thats all well and good but I want to find out *where* to turn it off in Windows 2000...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

May not be the right thing

In your dialup propeties (right-clicking on My Network places (properties) and right-clicking on your connection (properties) on the Options tab there's a tickbox for "include windows login domain" which should be unchecked.

On the Networking tab, untick everything except TCP/IP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

You only need to register to the network if you plan on connecting to other pcs I think. Like using nbtstat and net veiw and net use and that lark. So if you're not doing any of that I dont think you need it. Do what Sceptre said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Especially if you are using Indigo.. turn it off..
    also if you are using indigo.. specify the DNS servers
    Primary: 194.125.133.10
    Secondary: 194.125.133.11

Makes it quicker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement