Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Associates

Options
  • 15-05-2002 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

A plug.Check out a new Dublin based band called The Associates, at http://www.theassociates.150m.com

Ignore the ****ness of the site and the assault on a "friend", and sign the guestbook and vote in the poll. The poll is "Are Drummers Actually Musicians?". Go on. Support a local band...

Niall.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

They might want to think about changing their name if they don't want to get sued by Alan Rankine and whoever looks after the estate of Billy Mackenzie.

http://www.pure80spop.co.uk/associates.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Also their logo is a rip off of something I can't quite put my finger on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

The Godfather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 bren

Yep... ya might get sued by
    Billy MacKenzie's wippets (they own his estate)...

or by Virgin who have this month release the
    'LOST' album, 'the Glamour Chase', in a double
    CD with the re-release of the 'Perhaps' album...

Recon I'll invest my euros in the Glamour Chase and wait til these associates change their name!!!

cioa

Bren

So somewhere in England there are a bunch of skinny dogs eagerly awaiting the royalty checks from the Associates re-issues? That's very sweet.

I know some of the royalties from 'Beyond the Sun' were donated to depression and cancer related charities, is there anything similar happening with these re-issues, or is it all going to the dogs?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Fianna

I really don't give a **** about some 80's pop group called "Associates". First I've heard of them. Right now, we are "The Associates", and that's all that matters.

http://theassociates.150m.com

Did you even read my post Fianna?! If you ever want to release any records you're going to have to change your name, unless you have the same kind of sales and major label backing as Nirvana (who are the only band I know of who've been able to afford to pay off an earlier band with the same name). Even bands like Suede and the Frames have had to trade under different names in the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trent_derby

Chill man!!!!, tis true, the frames d.c, or in short, the frames, you guys could just come up with the associates d.c or the associates!!! or the associates..., the name is different technically but the band would still be known as the associates, every one can enjoy that!!!!!!!:) :D

I think he's just pissed off coz they went to all the trouble of designing their logo and website etc. without bothering to check if the name was taken first. OK, so you've never heard of them, Fianna, but that doesn't give you an excuse to dismiss them outright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

i saw the associates in the t.b.m.c. last year and support rudy in issac butt and i'd say there maore pissed off about the fact that they are a piss poor band who are worse then there {i'm guessing} heros oasis and ocean colour scene. I was enjoying a rare empty t.b.m.c bar but 3 songs into there set everyone came flooding back in for this i will never forgive then, only about 10 people left watching by the end of thier set.
    THEY REALLY SUCK........THEIR FANS ARE SCARY ASWELL

• Advertisement

Firstly, we've never played the TBMC, so that wasn't us. And we wouldn't count Oasis as an influence, so scratch that. Secondly, the band everyone is refering to are "Associates". We are "The Associates". A difference just like trent_derby was taking about. So if "Associates..." or "Associates!!!" is alright, then "The Associates" is fine as well.

http://www.theassociates.150m.com

The one and only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

I think you should get an original name, fix up that website, get a new logo and try again.

Originally posted by Fianna
    the band everyone is refering to are "Associates". We are "The Associates".

Wrong again I'm afraid - I just bought that re-issue that Bren was talking about over the weekend and they're quite clearly credited as The Associates on that - not sure about the other albums, I'll have to check when I go home.

Personally speaking, if I was in a band and found out that our name was already associated (no pun intended) with another band who alreayd had a sizeable following, I wouldn't think twice about changing the name. I don't know legally whether "..." or "!!!" or "the" stands up in court as being a significant enough difference, but I'd still go ahead and change it in order to preserve our own separate identity.

(Oh, and The Association is taken too...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

So when are "the associates " playing again after reading this thread Im sure you'll be entertaining regardless of you musical ability !:D

Well, firstly, the website doesn't need to be "fixed up", because its only an after-thought, a bit like the name, it would seem. And our "music ability" is pretty ****in good, considering the interest we got after our first gig, which was only in a local school. I reckon we will, reluctantly, change our name. But **** names, it's our music that matters, and I play a mean guitar, so get your arses down to our next gig. . .coming soon. . .

http://theassociates.150m.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

Originally posted by Fianna
    I play a mean guitar

if you spoke nicely to it, it might stop being mean and turn out nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

The Associates: As me Oouufella used to say: "That F$u$cker cant even fuggin sing" he was good though...i thought he was dead? Greyhounds come to mind....

Whippets, Daithi, whippets! Not greyhounds! Have you been paying attention at all?!! Sheesh! (Come to think of it, are whippets a kind of greyhound or just a similar breed?)

Funnily enough, I remember my own aul fella being mightily offended by the sound of Billy M's voice as well. I really think our Dads were separated at birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 bren

Jeazuz Dathhi... shouldnt you be elsewhere
    tweeking knobs and increasing Power...
    dat years of abuse of high volumed World
    Music seems to have played havoc with your hearing... Billy McKenzie sings like the angel
    he is....

Recon this dublin band should drop "the
    Associates" and just call themselves THE...
    a suttle difference!!!

Advertisement