Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE 5/Win2k Favourites disappearing for no apparent reason?

• 29-06-2001 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

I have a really insane problem with the "hiding" of the "less frequently use" Favourites bit of IE 5 and Windows 2000 (I'm not sure which causes the problem).

I keep the boards I frequent (ahem!) in a single "Bulletin Boards" folder of favourites, also with the various Tech sites, etc., in separate folders. I visit the same ones multiple times each day.

The problem is that sometimes, randomly, the folder will disappear into the "hidden" ones, and I have to click the Down Arrow thing to see all of them. This occurs with folders I visit EVERY DAY.

Now, it's not a big problem, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why the hell it does it. Generally I know how everything works (more or less), and all the options, but this is baffling, and I am wondering do any other users of IE 5 or Win2k have similar problems?

I havn't been using WIn2k long enough to know where in the registry such settings (if any) are located, and I can't find them by searching.

Any theories?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

My win2k knowledge is pretty woeful at the moment but isn't there a feature built in to do this? It's supposed to keep things tidy by hiding components you don't use often - now of course you're trusting Msoft to get 'often' right..... As to how to disable it I have nay a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

I can disable it sure in the registry, but I like the way it should properly work. I just can't figure out what constitutes a "rarely used" link if I use it every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

1. Select Tools menu.
    2. Select Internet Options.
    3. Select Advanced Tab.
    4. Click off the "Enabled Personalised Favorites Menu" option that is under "Browsing" list.
    5. Click OK.

Advertisement