Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's an idea for when you go to the polling station!

Options
  • 15-05-2002 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

When you go to your polling station you're bound to see some politicians or their canvassers/supporters hanging around outside trying to sway your vote at the last minute. Now, I'm sure somebody else has thought of this or are planning to do this but I thought I'd toss up the idea anyway.

When I'm going to vote, I'm going to bring a few of the leaflets with me and give them to any of the politicians/canvassers who may be hanging around, spend a few minutes with each talking about the dire internet situation in this country and inform them a bit about IOFFL. If nothing else, I figure it would be a good opportunity to tell them how bad things are and spread the word about IOFFL. Where else are you potentially going to get representatives from the various parties in the one area together? I reckon this is an opportunity we should all seize.

As I said, I'm sure other people have thought of this but for the rest of you who haven't I think you should all consider doing it on polling day. We all have a part to play in informing and educating the politicians about IOFFL and the crappy internet situation in this country. This is an opportunity that we can't let pass.

When you go to vote, do what I'm going to do. Give them all a leaflet, tell them how bad things are and spread the word around about IOFFL. Then go in and cast your vote.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Jeez, when did you last vote aidan? :)

Politicians aren't allowed hang around polling stations any more, it's against the rules. And rightly so.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

This will actually be my first time voting, adam, but I have to tell you that that kind of thing does still go on down here in "da country"! They might be prevented from doing it in Dublin or the other large "urban centres" but it doesn't stop them from doing it in the smaller places. In fact, it's just overlooked.

And I'm not kidding you, adam. This does happen outside the cities. My father said there were people from the various parties and both pro-life/pro-abortion groups when he went to vote a while back in the abortion referendum. It might not be allowed in the big smoke anymore but they still do it in places around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

It can't be.

If the polling clerk can see them, s/he must notify the Gardaí, who will get them to move on. 50m IIRC (i.e. not outside the gates)

I'm from a rural part of the country, passing many polling stations en route home on voting day from Dublin and for the last few elections not one canvasser I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Well, maybe the auld fella got it wrong about them being right outside the polling station but there were definitely people in the nearby area on the day of the abortion referendum. Maybe they're just being clever and staying out of sight of the polling clerk but they we're definitely hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Last time I voted (Mallow in the abortion referendum) there was no-one at the school gates - even though the gates are actually well more than 50m from the building.

May not be a bad idea to bring something along just in case - I've a feeling you wouldn't get that much time (if any) even if someone is actually there.

Can't promise to talk to too many people - I'll be wearing my nice new Fianna Fail Sheep teeshirt:D (my daddy wore it, my grandfather wore it before him so I suppose I'd better wear it:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement