Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will get the job done?

Options
  • 16-05-2002 3:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

For many reasons I decided not to vote for any of the main parties in this election and was gonna go with an independent.
    However I realised one thing that is important is broadband -important for my bank balance!
    So my question is this...
    Which Party looks most likely to give Eircom a root up the arse and get the prices down and caps off dsl?
    Whichever party can get this done gets my vote. And since you guys know more about this than I do can you suggest the most promising party for us and our cause?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

The unpleasant reality is that the mainstream parties all receive donations from Dr. (I hate people using honary doctorate titles in real life) AJF O'Reilly or his companies. Effectively he is "owed" by the parties, and owns eircom, the biggest printed media group, indirectly RTE via ad revenue and the nation as a whole. Interestingly Sinn Fein lodged a formal objection to him purchasing Eircom but oddly enough were ignored. I don't know who would actually go against him but the brothers Bruton from Fine Gael certainly are angry about the slow roll out of broadband and other teleco issues as are others in the party. But being in opposition is not getting them anywhere and that seems unlikely to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by vampyre
    The unpleasant reality is that the mainstream parties all receive donations from Dr. (I hate people using honary doctorate titles in real life) AJF O'Reilly or his companies.
    Actually his doctorate his real, some one told me this.. and checking it out
    " he later earned a Ph. D. degree in agricultural marketing from the University of Bradford, England"

I *do* have a problem with the SIR bit....

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Sorry, my bad. It was just at one stage he seemed to be being conferred with honourary doctorates on a weekly basis. I still resent that it is the bean baron's dominon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

I would suggest either the Green Patry or Labour depending on whose policies you would be more sympahethic to, cash isn't likely to sway either party because of their attitudes towards business and they both (well the greens anyway) have very forwards looking policies on broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

greens it is - at least they're trying to improve the world.
    more power and vote to em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

against my 'better judgement' as it may be, I think that Fianna Fail are the ones most likely to move things forward with broadband instead of just talking about it.

That doesnt mean that they're very likely to get results mind you - just more so than the opposition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Niall, you left your sunglasses, dog and white stick in the pub last night.

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Niall, you left your sunglasses, dog and white stick in the pub last night.

adam

actually... I *did* leave my sunglasses in the pub last night...

anyway... HEY ! everyone's entitled to their opinion, Adam :)

N.

actually... I *did* leave my sunglasses in the pub last night...

LOL

anyway... HEY ! everyone's entitled to their opinion, Adam

Indeed you are Niall. I'd like to hear your reasoning though.

adam

LOL

It's compleeeeeeeetely true...

Ehhhh... no.

/me runs away. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

uch Fianna Fail.

Ehhhh... no.

/me runs away.

Ah, so you're a card-carrying Fianna Failer.

adam

Ah, so you're a card-carrying Fianna Failer.

/me puts on his confused face and yells "DONT THINK SO!!" while keeping on running away...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Bard
    against my 'better judgement' as it may be, I think that Fianna Fail are the ones most likely to move things forward with broadband instead of just talking about it.

Err, practically all theyve done so far is talk about it... Ohh and the countless millions of quid theyve thrown blindly at 'broadband development' which there apparently have never been any noticable results out of...

Lets give Bertie & Co another 4 years to parade news of their 'e-hub' to anyone left that actually gives a rats ass...

and yes.. I'm bitter... and yes.. im just back from the pub *hic* and no.. I didnt vote Fianna Fail

/me puts on his confused face and yells "DONT THINK SO!!" while keeping on running away...

What's confusing? You refuse to provide reasoning for your actions, and you run away from a debate -- required attributes for membership of Fianna Fail, n'est ce pas? You should have stood for election, the unenlightened majority probably would have given you a seat.

heh

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Look at this.....the two former mods spamming on this board *tsk :rolleyes:

I would have voted greens....Fianna Fail don't get anything done in a hurry......

:)

Look at this.....the two former mods spamming on this board *tsk :rolleyes:

Flaming seamus, flaming. There's a difference. :)

I would have voted greens....Fianna Fail don't get anything done in a hurry......

I gave the Greens a preference, after Dan Boyle responded to my enquiries day before yesterday. I don't agree 100% with his policies, but he made an effort, and that counts.

adam

ADSL isnt high on my "very important things a politician should promise me to secure my vote" list... which is just as well because most of them haven't the slightest clue as to what it is.

I voted for our local Fianna Fail representative. The reason he got my #1 vote was because he's been very helpful in getting a local project which I'm involved in off the ground. It's going to mean a jobs boost, a top class sports & leisure facility and a brand new bar for the people of our area - and it'll help me get out of working in the s**thole I'm currently working in.

I'm not saying that all this is purely due to the local Fianna Fail deputy's input, but without him we'd be a lot of steps behind where we are now. He was very helpful, so I was happy to give him my vote.

ADSL is on it's way (albeit slowly and expensively) regardless, I believe, of what arses sit on the Dail benches. I don't particularly see any one party getting it implemented any faster than any other party.

There now, that wasn't very hard, now was it? :)

You could have just told me to mind my own business though. I would have respected you just as much. :)

adam

Advertisement