Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is anyone actually on chorus powernet?

• 27-06-2001 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

i heard the powernet thing is available as of now, i could be wrong... but is anyone using atm? is it any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Powernet has been available in Limerick for a bit, yankinlk is on it, and is very happy.Apparently it has just landed in Cork too.Dunno how fat it will spread to smaller towns etc :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Yet again powernet strikes I was talking to Tux there the other night he lives just up the road from me just beneith keeper hill the main limerick transmitter and he reckoned that chorus e-mailed to say he couldnt have it but it was coming soon.make a sentence out of this. their find arses own hands both couldnt with.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

lol stone
    yeah, that sums them up. keep at it. the number you are ringing to ask the questins is probably a "marketing company" if you think chorus is clueless about internet these guys take the cake!

my m8 sent an email in asking them why he couldn't use eircom.net email with new chorus powernet and they replied that he should check his phone line...

get an engineer out to your house...they are the only ones who make the decision, just keep asking for an appointment, the lads are very busy but they will come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ThrAx:
    ...does anyone know if this chorus thingy is available in galway?
    </font>

Best I could get out of them when I wrote to them in March was:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Chorus would hope to provide Powernet to Galway at some stage in the future. When this will be I'm not too sure. We haven't received any confirmation yet.</font>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

ah fek, so maybe tipp will have it in 50 years or so frown.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

IIRC Galway is an NTL area, along with Waterford & Dublin. Chorus can't offer tv services in those areas, but maybe they will offer net acccess via powernet to you. Im not entirely sure, but i think it may be a regulatory matter.

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 28-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

what is this power net? is it a new phat connetion like the ntl cable modems?

I'm sick of waitin fer ntl so does anyone know if this chorus thingy is available in galway?

This device complies with part 15 of the PCC rules. Ooperation is subject to the following two conditions:
    (1) this device may not cause harmful interference, and
    (2) This device must accept any interference recieved, including muppetry from muppets which may cause undesired operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ThrAx:
    what is this power net? is it a new phat connetion like the ntl cable modems?
    </font>

See http://www.chorus.ie/powernet.html

According to phone guy:
    Potential 512k
    140 + VAT installation, including modem
    40 + VAT monthly with a 3GB/month download limit.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    I'm sick of waitin fer ntl so does anyone know if this chorus thingy is available in galway?
    </font>

Rollout:
    Limerick -> Cork -> Dublin -> Galway

Later,
    -Ross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

AFAIK NTL only have sole rights in Dublin city, the county is open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

These exclusive areas only apply to TV and Video services. Chorus are free to supply powernet where ever they choose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by beaver:
    Rollout:
    Limerick -> Cork -> Dublin -> Galway
    </font>

Been on to them, talked to the head sales guy in Cork.
    Its Limerick -> Dublin -> Cork
    Cork will be September but more likely October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i have powernet 4 about 4 months [i live in limerick] it can b supplyed 2 any part of ireland it has notting got 2 do wit tv broadcasting powernet is wireless and does not come in on cable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">it can b supplyed 2 any part of ireland</font>

No it can't.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

well it can, it just wont b implemented nationwide because of cost. it is not restricted by distance like xdsl ect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yes, but you said it can be supplied anywhere in Ireland, not it could. In an ideal world, it could, but this isn't an ideal world - it can't and it won't. For a start, you also have to be able to get line-of-sight on the base station, which is considerably more difficult than "vanilla radio", which we all know has black spots already. Also, there are distance restrictions, the signal gets gradually weaker the further you are from the base station, which limits the bandwidth available.

adam

Advertisement