Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building/Upgrading to Athlon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Just a word of advice.

www.scan.co.uk got to the today only prices
    About 2 days a week they will have a mob cpu and recommended fan offer that will be very good value. I have seen in a previous thread that their have been issues with both Dabs and Scan when it comes to returning items, but in my experience, they have been good.

delivery will be around £30, and you can but online to ship to the republic.

I'd reccomend you check it out before you send your mullah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

what a bloody mess...why is it whenever i see gladiator's name up...i grown like it's joe22?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

erm yank.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Xenophobic

AMD Athlon 1.4GHz Socket A 266FSB £180.00
    Availability: Long Lead Time Expected
    Asustek SoA AMD 761/VIA ATX A £138.00
    Availability: 3-4 days
    Creative PC-DVD Blaster 12x IDE RP £53.00
    Availability: Now
    Crucial Technology 256MB 184DIMM PC2100 NP CL2.5 £41.39
    Enlight ATX Desktop PC Case (250 Watt PSU) £41.00
    Sub-total £453.39
    VAT £79.35
    Total £532.74

Sterling Excl P&P (£30 per order I think)

Any opinions (not religious war, just opinions) on the above?

Still have to find a fan and paste (from Dabs, I don't want to pay another £30 for a tube of paste tyvm)

The DVD is a replacement for one thats going elswhere as part of my old PC, any comments on it, I wanted something with digital out to connect direct to the I2S socket on the SB-Live and through to the digi speakers.

BTW Whats the chances of me getting a desktop through airport customs as hand luggage? (seriously)

Thanks

Xenophobic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Gladiator

That is an AMD athlon 1.4 266fbs for £278.93 unfortuanately P4 1.5+2X64MB PC800 STOMPS HOME at a hefty £468 punts.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xenophobic:

AMD Athlon 1.4GHz Socket A 266FSB £180.00
    Availability: Long Lead Time Expected
    Asustek SoA AMD 761/VIA ATX A £138.00
    Availability: 3-4 days
    Creative PC-DVD Blaster 12x IDE RP £53.00
    Crucial Technology 256MB 184DIMM PC2100 NP CL2.5 £41.39
    Enlight ATX Desktop PC Case (250 Watt PSU) £41.00
    Sub-total £453.39
    VAT £79.35
    Total £532.74

Sterling Excl P&P (£30 per order I think)

Any opinions (not religious war, just opinions) on the above?

Still have to find a fan and paste (from Dabs, I don't want to pay another £30 for a tube of paste tyvm)

The DVD is a replacement for one thats going elswhere as part of my old PC, any comments on it, I wanted something with digital out to connect direct to the I2S socket on the SB-Live and through to the digi speakers.

BTW Whats the chances of me getting a desktop through airport customs as hand luggage? (seriously)

Thanks

Xenophobic
    </font>
    well for starters you prices are wrong for the memory, you have down £40 sterling for it, but thats doesnt include vat,

you only have down £30 for p&p but cruical charge that at least, for up to 8 items (i think)and so do dabs so thats £60. just pointing that out im not being a *******, i hate to see you get a big bill for vat and p&p on top of what you expected to pay, apart from that its all ok

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 22-06-2001).]

Thanks for your concern Glad, the Vat is included in the total price (doesn't include Vat on delivery around £5-6ish on £30)

The delivery charge should be a once off of £30 as the RAM is being bought through Dabs who have Crucial as a supplier, so I'd be a *bit* peeved if they tried to charge me delivery on that, it'd be like them trying to charge me delivery from Creative, AMD et al.

Thanks,.

Xenophobic

i was just looking and you dont seem to have vat on any of the things you have there, english vat is something like 17.5% and that can amonth to alot

btw
    1.4ghz 266 @ dabs £211.50 and long wait
    1.4ghz 266 @ OcUk £184.48 and in stock

1.33GHz 266 @ dabs £170.37 3 days wait
    1.33GHz 266 @ £142.18 in stock
    im telling you shop around dabs is far from the best, but i must admitt thats some good price memory
    all price include vat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    i was just looking and you dont seem to have vat on any of the things you have there, english vat is something like 17.5% and that can amonth to alot
    </font>

Its added at the end of his list Gladiator.

BTW Xeno that PSU won't cut the mustard. With Athlon's a minimum of 300W is advisable. More would be better.

• Advertisement

All right finalising the list now,
    Yez beat me into it, OCUK it is and a 300Watt PSU (anyone want to buy the internally fitted 250 PSU? frown.gif )

OCUK

MB: Asus A7M266 DDR (Socket A) 150.05 inc VAT
    CPU: AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.4GHz "AYHJA" 266MHz FSB 184.48
    CHIPFAN: TaiSol CGK760092 CPU Cooler 17.63
    RAM: Crucial 256MB DDR PC2100 CAS-2.5 51.47
    THERMAL PASTE: Arctic Silver II 5.88
    CASE: Enlight Endura EN-7237 (250Watt PSU GDFB >:/) 57.58
    PSU: Sparkle FSP300-60BT 300W ATX Power Supply - AMD App 41.13

Erm...: AMD Athlon Case Badge wink.gif 0.82

Total 509.04 Inc VAT(UK) Excluding Del and in Sterling

you know OCUK will prbably sell you that case with a discount if you tell them you dont want the 250 psu and the 1.4GHz "AYHJA" 266MHz FSB overclocks to about 1700mhz no problem, has less lock up, uses tell power, and produces less heat, all in all you wont go wrong with it and you can get it cheap now then paying more to wait,

aint you glad you asked for help now smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

That psu will run a 1.4 ghz athlon successfully, I built a machine with this spec:

enlight 7237 with 250w psu
    abit kt7a raid
    tbird axia 1gig @ 1400 @ 1.825 volts
    hercules 3d prophet II
    512 megs crucial pc133 cas2 ram
    ibm 75gig 75gxp hdd
    maxtor 40 gig 5400 rpm hdd
    maxtor 20 gig 7200 rpm hdd
    dvd and writer

All this ran perfectly, just needed some extra cooling. Also, I opened the power supply, and its fan runs off a regulator which is temperature controlled (apparently). This means the fan runs slowly to keep it quiet. By bypassing the regulator, the fan runs on the full 12v all the time, keeping the psu cooler and exhausting more heat from the pc.

which would you think is better the Enermax psu or the Sparkle, i have to say i lean more towards Enermax

Couple of questions on the above:
    Do I need to buy the extra fans for the case separately?
    Will I have any problems fitting that fan into that case?
    Is there anywhere in Dublin I can buy a *desktop* case with multiple fans and a 300Watt PSU?

Thanks,.

Xeno

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xenophobic:
    Couple of questions on the above:
    Do I need to buy the extra fans for the case separately?
    Will I have any problems fitting that fan into that case?
    Is there anywhere in Dublin I can buy a *desktop* case with multiple fans and a 300Watt PSU?

Thanks,.

Xeno
    </font>

no and simple as that, you will find it very hard to get a desktop case in ireland with a 250 watt psu let alone higher and no fans

get a Coolercase Tornado (Macron 300W PSU)

coolercase_tornado.jpg
    6 80mm ys tech fans and 300 watt psu and silding motherboard tray, all for 108 sterling,
    you wont beat that price in ireland, and since your allready getting stuff from ocuk check it out

OCUK will charge you a fortune in shipping for the case, and it will be pretty noisey.

I recently bought a full tower from http://www.marx-computers.com 300W PSU. Their largest has 5 5.25" bays, 2 3.5". There's only one extra fan spot at the top back...BUT, there are extra peripheral port cutouts at the back just above the CPU. And I found an exhaust blower (you can get from OCUK) wedges very nicely in between the 2nd parallel and serial port holes (Just bend the metal inwards to then sandwich it in place - takes all of one minute) This positions it right over your CPU on the KT7A, with about 1" clearance over an FOP38.

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 27-06-2001).]

im buying this one in afew weeks
    coolercase_extreme.jpg
    now this will be loud

Um, yes... nice case. Do you have to chain it down to stop it going into hover mode?

I think I'll just stick with the current choice, I might have a check in Peats at their cases to save on P&P (how good are these for heat dissipation?)

So I'll probably order this lot next week then, I'll throw in one of those Slot exhaust fans for good measure.

BTW, there is no chance of my opening a PSU, thats some serious power going through there.

Xeno

well ask what the extra p&p on the case is, its allways best to shop around, peat aint exactly know to be cheap, and it might work ou better buying something in for ocuk, they have loads of cases, some with fans and some without.
    if you are buying in ireland check out malpins its abite of a hole, but has cheaper prices then peats,

• Advertisement

I used that case before creed, and didn't like it at all. The psu is a low grade codegen with 12 amps on the 3.3v line if I remember correctly, while most decent 250w psu's have 14A on this line. When I went to do my "fan mod" on it, I found that the fan wires in the psu were resting on the circuit board, and the insulation was in the process of melting off. Basically the psu says 300w, but doesn't live up to it.
    The case had rough edges and looked cheap.

I'd recommend maplins full tower case, which has a proper 80mm exhaust over the cpu, or better still the enlight 7237 which has very nice fan mountings which restrict airflow much less than other cases which I have seen.

As creed says, shipping a case from ocuk costs an absolute fortune. I don't think its really worth it, considering you could just get a case here, and the fans from ocuk for £3 each and do the job yourself. No need for 6 fans anyway, its just overkill. Just my personal opinion, no need for flames.

you keep saying it coasts alot but how much does it usualy coast to ship a case in,
    give me a run figure

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerry:
    I used that case before creed, and didn't like it at all. The psu is a low grade codegen with 12 amps on the 3.3v line if I remember correctly, while most decent 250w psu's have 14A .</font>

I agree, the PSU is pants. It's running everything fine at the mo. but it gets incredibly hot. I'm replacing it with an Enermax when I get back.
    The actual case structure is pretty good though for the price.

Gladiator - I was going to get their Juno case about 8 months or so ago and I remember the shipping was something like 3/4 the price of the case (I can't remember the actual amounts but it was ridiculous)

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 28-06-2001).]

ive sent an email and they seem to be avoiding the subject, i can pick up a case else were, what worries me is im even buying a monitor off them, which will probably throw my budget out the window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    im buying this one in afew weeks
    now this will be loud
    </font>

I got me somthing similar to one of these
    I45985.jpg
    SuperMicro - FullTower, 400W PSU

And dagnabbit it sounds like a hoovercraft in my room with its 6 fans >:|

[This message has been edited by moist (edited 28-06-2001).]

138 sterling top ship a 19" monitor and that case,
    all i can say is screw that, were stone when you need him, have you got an update on that price list,

o and gerrys right maplins probably the best place to buy cases in dublin but they lack in design

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 28-06-2001).]

holy ****, I didn't think it would be THAT expensive! well all the help I can offer gladiator is that I think dabs are reasonable on delivery for monitors, you might want to check that out.

i might try buy.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Gladiator

Indeed thats silly money.We charge £15 tops though our range is still limited we can order in special items we get round the carriage on account of we get stuff in bulk.Im looking forward to the next batch we is getting some funky Black cases in smile.gif.Also If one of my supliers is right we maybe able to get the coolermaster ATCS-200 (no psu) for arround £243.46 (thats for sale price including vat)which is a few pennys less than ovclockers and we wont even go in the postage smile.gif

Stone biggrin.gif

• Advertisement

all sorted, dabs will sell me the same monitor for £10 more but have a flate £20 shiping to ireland, i allso came accross the mouse and keyboard i wanted for £15 less so it works out at at all im paying is £15 more which for a 19" monitor a mouse and keyboard thats extremely

the case is another story, im waiting for www.overclockingstore.co.uk to get back to me

Advertisement