Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch + Modems

• 27-06-2001 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Quick question guys. Anyone got a modem working on a line with Phonewatch (eircom alarm system) attached?

I was trying install a modem for my parents yesterday - no joy. Took it to my own place and it worked fine. I think that the Phonewatch system is the most likely culprit. Can anyone shed any light on this?

K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Kix,

A friend of mine uses a modem no problems on his home line which has phone watch. The best thing to do is probaly get on to eircon to see if there is any problems they know of.

kayos

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Thanks Kayos,

Mind you I think that there are different Phonewatch systems available, somewhich don't tie to the phone line and others which do. From my hunting I've found that Phonewatch certainly interferes with DSL connections (believe it or not - it's a problem they've found in the Ennis test).

The only other servive on the line is call answering and I had that disabled temporearly yesterday to see if it helped. It didn't.

Poor old Mrs. C. can't email her daughter in Oz till I get this working! smile.gif

K

Clo. For the next year. Lucky b'atch biggrin.gif

Its just not fair. I think I'll have to take a trip down to her to say hello :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Lo, phonewatch is installed on the line i use for the net, and it works fine - had no problems with it, except i think its made my connection quality lower :/ Even using a 56k i cant usually get over 33kbps connection - its either phonewatch, or my line is utter pants :/

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

What ISP are you using?
    Could be caller-id, some ISP's won't let you connect if it's switched off

Ring your mobile from your parents phone to quickly check

If caller-id is switched off either have it switched on (ring Eircom) or use a special prefix for the dial-up number (varies depending where you are in the country I think) which turns it on for that call only

This happened me last year when I moved apartments, had my head wrecked for a couple of days until I came across a vague reference
    on the IOL support site

Since had the same thing with my Mother's PC and a friend's and I don't think it was IOL in those cases

I think I'm using IOL Free without caller-id switched on now but def had some sort of problems before (would have been SNL)

[This message has been edited by ConUladh (edited 27-06-2001).]

Thanks ConUladh,

It's not caller ID though. The modem can't get a dialtone at all when it's connected to the phone line. There's no question of it even getting as far as the ISP.

In fact, the line seems dead when I pick up the phone handset, until I plug out the modem that is, then I can hear a dialtone. I don't honestly know what is going on.

K

Hmmm the only other thing I see is the lines in Oran are ^*&( but any way.

BTW which sis is down under

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

Thanks ConUladh,

Cheers for your help, I appreciate it. I never thought to try that, the problem seemed more fundamental and I was focused on other issues. I'll get them to give it a go.

I might add that when I was living there five/six years ago and pre-Phonewatch and call answering, etc. I used have no problem connecting with my modem. That probably doesn't mean much though because they physically put a new line in recently because the existing one was hit by lightning. Perhaps there's a DACS in the mix too... What a mess if that's true. They might end up having to get ISDN to ensure they have a line fit for data transmission. If that's the case, it's a lot more than they need frown.gif

K

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Kix,

Try this tip from CNET entitled bypass dialtone errors, it's about dial tone recognition and is american orientated but you never know

http://www.help.com/cat/1/176/tip/4993.html?tag=st.hp.ht.txt.tip

Other than that I give up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kix:
    In fact, the line seems dead when I pick up the phone handset, until I plug out the modem that is, then I can hear a dialtone.</font>

Sounds like a wiring issue, either in the wall socket or in the phone cable to the modem. Some modems b0rk if the two outer wires are connected to anything.

- Did you use the same cable when you checked the modem at your own place?
    - Does this cable use 2 or 4 wires (look at one of the plugs)
    - If 4, are there more than 2 terminals wired in the wall socket at your parents' place?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Snowbat:
    - Did you use the same cable when you checked the modem at your own place?
    - Does this cable use 2 or 4 wires (look at one of the plugs)
    - If 4, are there more than 2 terminals wired in the wall socket at your parents' place?
    </font>

Thanks mate, that's a few things to look at. No I used another cable in my own place. I'll have to check the wiring at my parents place.

Cheers,

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kix:

In fact, the line seems dead when I pick up the phone handset, until I plug out the modem that is, then I can hear a dialtone. I don't honestly know what is going on.

K
    </font>
    I had the exact same problem with a winmodem. I plugged the modem into the wall-socket downstairs, no dialtone, nothing. I lifted the reciever, same crack, no dialtone. I brought down my US robotics external modem and it had no problems in the same wall socket, so it appeared to be related to the winmodem.

To confuse matters completely, I brought the PC (and winmodem) upstairs and it worked fine, obtaining a dialtone without problems (on the same telephone line).

I ditched the winmodem and reverted back to the US robotics external after that. I am only guessing, but perhaps the problem is related to the winmodem?

TD.

Guys,

Thank you all for your efforts. The problem, as outlined by Snowbat above, and explained in greater detail at http://homepage.tinet.ie/~leslie/testpage/wiring.htm (which I came across before I had a chance to test Snowbat's suggestion, was indeed the way that the modem was terminating the outer pair on the cable. Simply disconnecting the outer pair, effectively turning the cable into a single pair connection, did the trick.

Tom this also explains what happened to you - I'd guess that you only had two wires running to your upstairs extension. Hence the modem worked at the extension and not on the main socket.

Anyhow again, thanks to all (esp. Snowbat) and apologies to Phonewatch for blaming them in the wrong! biggrin.gif

K

Hi Tom,

It's an external hardware modem, so it's not that either. I'm wondering if the line voltage is anything to do with it. Can anyone enlighten me in that direction?

K

Advertisement