Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Thought...

• 16-05-2002 4:08pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

A little bored here...

It's not often I actually find anything about Boards I disagree with (Thats how much I love this place), and when I do it's never a big enough deal to bitch about, so I thought I'd throw up a "Small" criticism.

One of the new aditions to Boards - The "Average Posts Per Day" feature... What can I say!?
    Some people may think it's nice to know how often people post, but I myself find it a rather fruitless feature. So what if the person who posted a reply after you just "Happens" to create 2.80 posts per day More or Less than yourself... Unlike the avatar / title of a poster, the APPD doesn't really say much about the poster - It simply tells you wether this person spams or not (Which may have been the initial idea for all I know) - It's bad enough having someone point and comment about your post count, without having them rant about how often you actually post to get the count that high.

Im sure that in some cases either the Post Count and/or the APPD features (If noticed by someone with enough muppet power and lack of brain cells) can be the influence for said muppet to go on pathetic little insult/snide comment spree's, or even make them post more spam to get both the Post count and APPD higher (Yus, I HAEV LIEK 300291 POESTS WITH AN AEVRAEG 287 POEST PAR DAEY! IEM SOE KEWAL!)

Like I said, it's just a "Small" criticism. I can live with the APPD feature - It's relatively harmless and sometimes interesting, yet im sure it'll also be used as ammunition by certain people who get off on attacking people.
    I suppose if the whole thing was explained to me I'd understand why it was put there, and shut up, but until then I don't see the point... Thoughts!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I find it highly useful as it gives clues indicating a willingness to spam. That said new members can find it a bit wierd when they post 6 posts and then look like spammers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I agree with RopeDrink.

BTW, the average post count doesn't even tell you if someone spams. As I've said before, posting a lot doesn't necessarily = spamming ;) (My own has gone down from nearly 8 to just over 6 ... but that took ages) ... Anyway, the average post count is just another thing that some muppets use to poke fun and call people names.

Not that it's a big deal, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Yeah i don't like it either, makes me fell guilty having it thrust in my face like that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by amp
    I find it highly useful as it gives clues indicating a willingness to spam. That said new members can find it a bit wierd when they post 6 posts and then look like spammers.
    Yes, but when they have an average post rate in excess of their total post count and it's all on the one board, you then realise they just might be spammers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Yeah i don't like it either, makes me fell guilty having it thrust in my face like that

that's what wwman said right after he unzipped his fly....:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Victor

Yes, but when they have an average post rate in excess of their total post count and it's all on the one board, you then realise they just might be spammers.

How can that be possible?

Average post count is the average posts per day of a user. Total post count is all the posts you've ever made.

How can you post more in one day than in all the time you've been on boards?

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Well, after taking a brief glance at both Azazeielslsl\ and Bards Post Count and APPD, I can honestly say it would be easy to congest this thread with "Spammy ****" comments and the like...

Point taken that a high APPD doesn't mean you spam, but would that stop the "Muppet Powered Low Brain Cell Capacity Joe Soap" from flinging un-needed / un-wanted bull**** at people!?

Also, it doesn't look that nice at all...
    Right under the Avatar/Title you have a collection of numbers and a "."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

Originally posted by azezil
    Yeah i don't like it either, makes me fell guilty having it thrust in my face like that ;)
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Yeah ya bunch o' lousy spammers...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

TBH I didn't even notice it. Actually I don't even look at post counts anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by amp
    I find it highly useful as it gives clues indicating a willingness to spam.

Agreed! Death to the spammers!
    Originally posted by amp

That said new members can find it a bit wierd when they post 6 posts and then look like spammers.

bleh!!!

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I think it's good. eg it shows how much azezil spams alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Bard
    How can that be possible? Average post count is the average posts per day of a user. Total post count is all the posts you've ever made. How can you post more in one day than in all the time you've been on boards?
    If I am right, "cornell babe" had posted 15 posts to the GE board within 23.5 hours of first post = 15.32 posts per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 simpsons rule

deleted posts confues the matter , unless an admin updates the post counters . *problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

What happened to your rant card rope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I think it's handy. Some people post a fair amount (smak, azezil, etc) but for good reasons, so we don't mind. Some people have an average posting per day of 13 (Oldyellar), which consists mainly of spamming the recycle bin.

If someone comes into a thread and starts flaming/spamming and already has a spam count of 20 per day (triple3threat or whatever his name was rings a bell), you'll know it's not a one off usually.

Originally posted by koneko
    I think it's handy. Some people post a fair amount (smak, azezil, etc) but for good reasons, so we don't mind. Some people have an average posting per day of 13 (Oldyellar), which consists mainly of spamming the recycle bin.
    frame that :)

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Nothing changes the fact that the feature looks unnatractive, and it can be rather confusing in certain circumstances. Also, taking into account the ammount of "Muppet Powered Low Brain Cell Capacity Joe Soap"s that have commented already ( :D ) it can't be a great feature...

Personally I don't care who spams or not - There is already a select few people on boards who are rather popular for doing this, so why else would I want to see the feature?

Mistar Aepple Pie my card died along with all the other crap ones I made :(

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Ropedrink if you wanna find something to criticise look up my posts in After Hours. I'm sure you'll find plenty of things to disagree with :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Bah, it means nought, I like had no net access since christmas at college and my post count dropped to nothing. I could start spamming like a true muppet and it would take ages for my post count to catch up.

Still it's better than have an average post content rating. As assigned by the mods of course. It'd have to be able to go into negative figures :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by nesf
    Still it's better than have an average post content rating. As assigned by the mods of course. It'd have to be able to go into negative figures :)
    karmacard.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

My point exactly azezil.

Advertisement