Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team0r W0rk0r!

• 16-05-2002 4:08pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Pretty simple idea really - Been bugging me for a while so I'll let it out in the open...
    Basically I was thinking about the benefits the Game Editing Community and the Game Editing Board itself would gain if we all formed a sort of "Team"... It's not like we're not a team already, I mean, many people come here for help and tips on certain topics such as mapping and what not and we all pitch in when we can, so in regards to the ammount of projects being undertaken lately Im sure everyone would love it if they could post a "Request" thread asking for this "Team" to help them in whatever they're doing, or simply ask if the "Team" is willing to make something for them.

I was thinking back to when I created the Announcement containing everyones skills, and there's a good variation of coders / mappers / programmers / modelers etc so how about we all bang heads, stick a Team Name on our forehead and offer our group services all over the shop... We could even steal people from the art / animations board to help with any artistic elements needed such as website backgrounds, Mod Splash pics etc
    That said, if things work out we could all probably begin a group project like a collection of group maps, a HL Modification / Quake Modification / Custom Game Models / MASSIVE website / prefabs or something along those lines...

The only down side to this idea (If you lot consider it to be a good one) is that a lot of time consuming work will be involved, yet more hands make a lighter load...

Think about it... We've only seen a thread or two about Ronan's Multiplayer Mod, a few about the VAR mod, Veonix's Game etc yet they don't seem to be going anywhere (Mine and Ronans mod anyway, not sure how Veonix is doing) so what do you think!?

This may seem really out there, but just think about it - If we all started making group modifications or games and the like, and somehow manage to make a good name for ourselves then there's a (Very very slight) chance this could escalate into a career...

I, myself, have very little time to do anything now that I'm back to work, yet any time I have I usually make maps / flash movies / flash website / Desktop Pictures / Sounds and lots of other little bits...

If there was a chance I could do this for the benefit of others as well as myself and grasp a little ammount of fame (If possible) merely by spending a little time being constructive then **** it I'm there.
    I already had a chance, and it's slipped away because I've started working, so lets make more chances!

Thoughts please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

You can count me in anyway. I'll be able to do alot of stuff over the summer so i have the time. Maybe if we got a site done it would get the ball rolling. Whats the "Team name" gonna be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Bleh, halflife is on its way out anyway.
    Making a single player Q3 mod would be teh win though.

Whatever happened to the VAR mod eh?
    Was ][cemans wallhack & aimbot just too much to code or what? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Rope you can be cueball, Santahoe, you be eight ball, Raven, your 12 ball and I'll be cueball

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Erm - There can only be one cueball and that'd me mate :)

Taking into account the mere number of people thats managed to posts so far I think it's safe to say no one else really wants to bother...

On that note if things don't change from here im going to completely disregard this thread and return to my current projects and work on them alone.

It's just that many people don't regularly visit this forum, and the people that do are busy with exams/real life tm things...

I'm busy until the 14th of Jyune but after that i'll be doing nothing for ages :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

soz for the late reply i`m well on for this co-operative venture.

Count meh and my ****ty skillz in!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

If I get enough free time in the summer, I can assist :)

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

If there is any specific time to start something like this, it's summer time - When the sun is high and the weather is fine, and all those ikkle kids don't have to goto that devil spawned place you call school etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Count me in, but not until June 1st.

The main problem, imo, is lack of communication. What we really need is mailing list that we can all Replay All on, and spam the shíte out of each other, ala GL3.

That said, I nominate Ronan/Rope for this task.

Ivan

Ronan's been slig shotted over to jolly old London and might never be returning to us...

Thought you all knew this!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

what difference does that make?

Do do have the internet over there, dont they?...

Ivan

Yes well the fact that he left this country to find full time work would suggest he may not have as much spare time as he would like, in order to keep checking this Board... i.e. The last thing we'd want to do is chuck a rake of online work for him to do when he's busy over there settling down...

The only way we'll know for sure is if he posts here...
    I text him a while back but didn't get a reply...

Ronan, if you truly are still alive, we would like to hear from joo00000!

(P.S. I think posting something on the emulators board will catch his attention... Im quite sure he's been there recently...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Im not in England yet! well I will be very soon. My great plans for the amazing mod went out the Window as I hadnt any time as fo late in college, and wont have any great amount of time for a while.

That said im sure if we all help out we could do some sort of a project. Some great ye olde merry battle etc etc. Tbh im a crap person for leading anything, Ive a short attention ,attention.......................

Sorry what was I saying!? Oh yes. A group project. :)

Im sure if we as said got a mailing list of people and what they are,can do. For example I can map but not well, but I can do a lean wall :)

Anyway ill post more when I get myself back to normal.

AAAAAAGH!

The Ronan!

HE Lives"!

Ronan you nastly little man - You never replied to my text - I thought you abandoned us yonks ago :D

On-Topic - If you really think this group project needs a leader then I'll take the helm if you want... Im not as active as the next bloke, but having lead many a thing since my onlife began years ago Im sure taking the responsibility here wouldn't do too much harm...

Thats if you want, like.

I suggest we start by creating a website template and have everyone bash it up unto we all agree on it, then progress from there... We can add whatever we want from that point.

I can make a flash website if needs be - They're generally small in size when complete, and it WOULD look a little nicer, but I'll need some idea's first...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Me phone is borked!

And id be willing to give ahand to help organise things with ya rope if ya want like ;)

unce unce unce

Right - Seeing as Ronan was recommended by a few people, and it was my initial idea - how about myself and the alcho|Raven team together and take the bridge!?

Would that be a problem!?

Im going to try and get some artwork to use in a flash "G.E." Site which hopefully will be the stepping stones towards the idea kicking off and all of us pitching in to dominate the universe and all it's boring glory.

Advertisement