Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independant article

Options
  • 16-05-2002 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

I read this today in the Irish independent today, couldn't find it on the Independent website so I'll type in some of the (I thought) main parts.

ADSL FINALLY ARRIVES

At last... the only possible response to the very welcome announcement of ADSL Internet access services for Ireland by Eircom and Esat at the end of last month. The vision is that by the end of next year something of the order of 1.5 million businesses and domestic phone lines will have the option of "Always on" Internet at speeds that will enable the next generation of e-business and other services.

The Eircom ADSL service branded i-stream (or as I like to call it i-scream), begins on 14 May and is initially targeted at the greater Dublin (01) area, extending to Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Galway and the north-west towards the end of the year and into 2003.. It is believed that September is the likely start for Cork City service.

Esat is tackling Ireland's telecoms geography from the West, with its ADSL service operational in Limerick since the end of April and launching in Ballina this month. "By the end of this year we hope to have our equipment in 40 exchanges, unbundling some 400,0000 subscriber lines", said Esat product director Peter Evans.

Esat will offer ADSL in Cork in July and August -before Eircom,on current plans- through the Quaker road and Churchfield exchanges. This will be followed by Galway and Thurles and later Ballinasloe, Tralee, Wexford, Kilkenny and Mallow by September. Other towns for which the exchange contract have been signed include (alphabetically) Athlone, Carlow, Clonmel, Dundalk, Mullingar,Shannon and Waterford while Esat should enter part of the Dublin market later in the year.

Evans also emphasized that the Esat DSL service is end-to-end Esat once its servers are in the exchanges and is not a re branding of the Eircom service on offer to other operators at wholesale rates as required by the ODTR.

These are some of the paragraphs in the article. I just couldn't be bothered typing in the whole lot. All in all,to me in Cork anyway, ADSL might just be around the corner. Good news????????

BTW the article in full is in the Irish In dependant E-Thursday supplement in the Finance pull-out.

Advertisement