Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onion-eye

• 16-05-2002 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

OK, I'm fed up of cutting onions and having shooting pains circumferising my eyeballs. What is the best way to cut these darn things without feeling like you have walked into an anti-capitalist peaceful protest march?

The ways I have heard and tried to no avail are-
    -Rinse the onion under running water for a second, in fact as much as you can in the cutting process (this seems the best but not 100%)
    -Put a slice of bread in your mouth while you cut as this will catch the spray from hitting your eyes (probably a gullible windup as it didn't work bar make me look like a pigeon)
    -Cut the onion length ways or width ways, I can't remember.
    -Wear swimming goggles (this worked well but I couldn't breathe properly through the snorkel ;) )
    -umm no, thats it.

So, what's the best way to de-onionise the onion?

*interesting fact - did you know that the leek is a member of the spring onion family.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

It never really anoys me that much but I did hear putting a tea spoon in your mouth works.

Now if you start thinking onions are bad try deseeding bird eye chillies and rubbing your eyes (hours later after washing your hands loads of time). Now that is hell. I did it once and have worn rubber gloves any time since.

kayos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'm awful with onions. My eyes end up in so much pain I can't open them.

Keep a wet cloth handy to hold up against your eyes. Try not to breathe in through your nose (helps for me), leave the onion soaking in some water for a while before cutting it. Try to cut a few onions, take a break, cut a few, take a break. Doing them all in one go wrecks me, urgh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by kayos
    ...try deseeding bird eye chillies and rubbing your eyes (hours later after washing your hands loads of time).

yeah, done that but not on my eyes, I went to the toilet and touched sensitive skin I shouldn't have touched after touching chillis!
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Just breathe through your mouth.... never affects me! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

AFter slicing the onion in two and removing the skin, I always hold it under *cold* water for about 30 seconds. Works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Originally posted by Gordon

yeah, done that but not on my eyes, I went to the toilet and touched sensitive skin I shouldn't have touched after touching chillis!
    :eek:

The pain involved there must have been crazy :eek: I remember that time for about a week after I could not put any pressure on my tumb or it would burn me!!!! Now this is after wasting my hands with every last soap know to man. I just can not imagine the pain you suffered. Any way at least that will teach you not to be touching yourself :).

kayos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Just cut the onion beside a running tap...not sure what the theory behind this is but it works for me.

Advertisement