Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two Digiboxes - A remote workaround

• 16-05-2002 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

Don't program any favourites in one of your boxes (Say box 2)

To use this, key in the channel you want to watch on box 2 and then select the channel on box 1 by using the favourites function.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

I'll give this a try!

gb

Now theres a Brainy idea:)
    Presumably the non favourites box pops up a message telling you there are none-but that doesn't matter:)
    mm

Not a very good idea because when u key in a channel no on 1 box it is seen by the other so u have t go back and re-select using favourites.

Back to the blu tack and tin foil and the exercise!!

gbcullen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Don't be negative. I tried this the weekend and think it is an excellent solution. It beats the tin foil hands down...
    Well done.

Jez

Please explain your method in case I am missing the point.

gbcullen

• Advertisement

The solution as advised by Eirman at the start of this thread is as good as it gets with two sky remotes.

Actually chaps there is another solution.
    Get a universal remote. You can sent them to operate your different appliances by inserting different codes. use the auxillary option for one of your sky digiboxes and it will only operate that digibox and the ordinary satellite button can be programmed for main sky box. This will do most functions re changing channels ,text etc. Not sure about All channels/box office etc.
    Seems a great option .This remote plus your standard digibox remote for certain features will do you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Originally posted by jez
    Actually chaps there is another solution.
    Get a universal remote. You can sent them to operate your different appliances by inserting different codes. use the auxillary option for one of your sky digiboxes and it will only operate that digibox and the ordinary satellite button can be programmed for main sky box. This will do most functions re changing channels ,text etc. Not sure about All channels/box office etc.
    Seems a great option .This remote plus your standard digibox remote for certain features will do you.

I thought the problem was that because all digiboxes use the same remote protocol, it is impossible to RC one without RCing the other. I cannot see how a universal remote gets around this - Am I missing something? Using Sat and Aux to control two different digiboxes seems to me to be futile - they will both do exactly the same thing and do it to both boxes simultaneously.

The use of the favourites is a no go!

1. When u press text button it registers on both.

2. When u press interactive it can register on both.

3. If u need to press any other button eg TV channels it registers on both.

I could go on but I won't.

At least with the blu tack u leave 1 box on the channel u watch most eg BBC1 put on blu tack and then use the remote on the other like it was intened.

GBCULLEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

Originally posted by GBCULLEN
    The use of the favourites is a no go!

1. When u press text button it registers on both.

2. When u press interactive it can register on both.

3. If u need to press any other button eg TV channels it registers on both.

GBCULLEN

You have missed the point - If you have NO favourites programmed on ONE of your digiboxes it will not respond when you select a favourite channel on the other digibox.

• Advertisement

No, but it will respond to all the other items I mentioned.

gbculen

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mick90

If it is required to control two Sky Digiboxes with remote controls you must use one infrared remote (IR) control and one radio frequency (RF) remote control.

The RF control could be a Powermid Plus which comes complete with a 'hand held' transmitter/remote control and a small mains operated pyramid 'receiver' . These are available for around £50 sterling and a Powerex extender for around £16 sterling.

See http://www.satalogue.com/section1/page3.htm for the control
    and http://www.satcure.com/accs/page3.htm for the extender.

Use the infrared control as normal on the first box and set up the other box for use with the radio frequency control as follows.

Tape the tiny blob of the Powerex extender to the IR receiver window of the second digibox and cover this IR window of this box with black tape to prevent IR signals from reaching the second box. Plug the extender into the Powermid receiver and cover or place the Powermid receiver in a location to prevent it from receiving IR signals. The Powermid remote control emits RF and IR signals so it is necessary to tape the IR emitter of the Powermid remote control to prevent if from emitting IR signals. The remote will then only transmit the RF signal. Using this method the second box is controlled from the Powermid remote using RF and the first box is controlled from the original remote using IR.

I have used this method successfully for the last six months to control a subscription Sky box and a FTA Sky bo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

just a simple question.. as i have a friend quite interested in the two box setup:

why do so many people seem to have the two digiboxes in the same room?
    surely it'd sit in another room in the house (with the other tv)?
    do the two boxes have to be physically connected to each other or is it a case where there is just one (unsplittable) cable coming into the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mick90

If you live in a part of the country where BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 are not available of air and you use a Sky box with a UK FTA to receive them and a second box to receive Sky’s pay Irish service. It if often convenient to have then in the same room as the main television and video.

U can loop the RF cable through each digibox and have 2 channels tuned to your tv and then pipe this round the house to other tv's. This is done by having 2 different RF channels selected on the digibox. Hence the need to have them closeby. Also the LNB cable comes down the same run.

gbcullen

Advertisement