Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agp slot?!!!

• 02-07-2001 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

Hello,

ok How do i know for sure whether my mother board has an agp slot?

Ive read the damn manual that came with me pc and it says nuthin about it! ty compaq!

I looked on the box it came in amazingly still intact and on thr side had summin about 2x agp...

So to sum up How would I know for sure,

The PC in question is a Compaq presario 5186 about 1 and a half years old.

Any help apprecieted

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well you could check out the Compaq support website - www.compaq.ie and see if you can find a decent spec sheet (personaly I gave up this search after 5 minutes of links to everything but what I was looking for)

The less painful option would be to take off the cover and take a look inside the chasis.
    (which you'll have to do if you're installing an AGP card anyway)
    Once you can see inside at the motherboard, you should be able to see if there's an AGP slot there or not.
    You'll see a few long slots all running parallel towards the back of the case to their respective openings at the rear of the case... which may already have expansion cards in them, most will be white/beige (PCI), you may also have one or two longer black slots (ISA)... your AGP slot will be brown and somewhat shorter (maybe 3/4 the length of the PCI slot)

-Motherboard Picture-
    ^^ That's a rough overview of what you'll be looking at... notice the AGP slot just towards the center of the picture.

[edit] Hmmm - best link to that pic instead biggrin.gif [/edit]

[This message has been edited by Dead{o}Santa (edited 02-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Inf

Raven open your box and if u have a slot thats a brown colour beside the pci slots thats agp,it would be easier 2 explain to you in irc,ill talk to you later =]
    i would doubt if u have a agp slot your have a old box dont you?

[This message has been edited by Inf3ct0r (edited 02-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Weird thing in Windows 2000 I just checked and it says that my video card is in PCI slot 1, even though it's AGP (and opening the case it is sitting in an AGP slot).

But anyway, if you check the System Devices (or Motherboard resources) in the System Control Panel of Windows (not the video controller tab at the top), it should say something like "Intel blahblah AGP controller" or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Thats strange, if I view devices by connection in win2k, the agp graphics card comes up as being connected to the intel agp controller, which is correct. Dunno what your problem is there red moose, perhaps you have a 3dfx card, as they just operate in pci mode, even when in an agp slot. Or perhaps your agp arperture size is set too small, and so agp is disabled.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 285 ✭✭sam

actually agp aperture size being disabled doesnt mean agp becomes pci, the agp bus still runs at twice the speed of the pci bus, which means the latency from cpu will always be lower using an agp card, which is probably why agp video cards show about 10% increase compared to the same pci card even with agp texturing disabled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

yeah, but apart from that sam its just a 66mhz pci bus, if agp texturing is disabled. While we are on the subject of agp, an overclocked agp 2x bus is faster than a 66mhz agp 4x bus, since the latency is lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Thx very much for yere help guys. smile.gif

Much Appreciated

Advertisement