Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re: security in chat rooms

• 03-07-2001 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Now this may be a stupid question - if so just feel free to tell me (not that anyone on these boards ever needs permission)

If you're chatting in a standard chatroom such as Yahoo or the like - can someone run a trace on you and see where you're coming from and then attempt to hack into your computer?

Now I know muppets threaten this all the time when they get into a flame war in a chat room. But can it actually be done?

I'm the Dude

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

while i don't know what information a yahoo chat session reveals the short answer is always "yes they can" if they can get your ip.

but I think you'll get a more informed answer in the Security boards.. so I've copied this there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement