Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro currency spam

Options
  • 17-05-2002 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

If you receive this, don't be suckered in:...

(especially Americans)
    On January 1st 2002, the European countries began
    using the new Euro. Never before have so
    many countries with such powerful economies united
    to use a single currency. Get your piece of history
    now! We would like to send you a FREE Euro
    and a FREE report on world currency. Just visit
    our site to request your Euro:

[URL removed to protect the gullible!]

In addition to our currency report, you can receive:

* FREE trading software for commodities and currencies
    * FREE online trading advice via email
    * FREE trading system for stock and commodity traders

Find out how the new Euro will affect you. If
    you are over age 18 and have some risk capital, it's
    important that you find out how the Euro will
    change the economic world. CLICK NOW.

[/url]

$5,000 minimum investment

Please carefully evaluate your financial position before trading. Only risk capital should be used.

[Remove-me URL]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Bard...who must have ur mail address attacted to some bogus mailing lists, for the amount of sh*t u recive.

Because I don't see any of that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

You're lucky keeks.
    Spam is everywhere nowadays.
    I'm sure Bard didn't sign up for this.

[Bit OT but worth discussing]
    My theory on this kind of spam...

I have a personal address that I have only ever given out to close friends and family. It has never been used by me in completing any forms or anything online nor have I ever posted it on the net anywhere. It even goes to a password protected profile in Outlook.

However, a few months back I was forwarded a "soft pr0n" mail that a mate of mine had forwarded to everyone in his addy book. It had about 100 people on it, and God knows who else received that mail and forwarded it onto others with my e-mail addy on it. (Obviously this happened with other addresses from time to time, but never with this one.)

Since then I have been bombarded w/ spam sent specifically to that address. Notably some of these type of get rich quick mails. So, I think the problem is your email addy getting into the wrong hands and then being used for spam puposes, and I believe its normally through others **forwarding** messages on a oppossed to signing up for these things.

Recently, I have now included a...
    "please do not forward this e-mail addy onto third parties or use it in forwarded e-mails :-)". Apart from this the only thing I can say is update you block sender list and unsubcribe to this list (if available).

I'd be interesed to hear peoples thougths on the above:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I didn't sign up for it. I don't sign up for mailing lists at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by 80project

I have a personal address that I have only ever given out to close friends and family. It has never been used by me in completing any forms or anything online nor have I ever posted it on the net anywhere. It even goes to a password protected profile in Outlook.

However, a few months back I was forwarded a "soft pr0n" mail that a mate of mine had forwarded to everyone in his addy book. It had about 100 people on it, and God knows who else received that mail and forwarded it onto others with my e-mail addy on it. (Obviously this happened with other addresses from time to time, but never with this one.)

I think you're correct there. I have an email address that I only use for two mailing lists - the IIU one and the IOFFL one. I'm 100% sure that neither of these ever gave my mail address to anyone. I've been using it for over a year and have only ever sent about 15 mail messages from it - almost all to the two lists.

I've received three spam mails on the address (such a small amount that I can really ignore it - I used get ten times that amount per day on an old account) - but I assume that the address was harvested from some message getting forwarded.

I've another address I started getting a small amount of spam on due to some idiot in the Bank of Ireland cc-ing instead of blindcc-ing (never been used to sign up for anything or even send mails)

Advertisement