Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICT Outlines Information & Comunications Recommendations

Options
  • 17-05-2002 1:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

ElectricNews.Net (Can't find the Independent story.)
    The Irish Independent reports that ICT Ireland, the IBEC association that represents information and communications technology firms, has outlined areas that need to be addressed by the incoming government to secure the future of the ICT sector. ICT Ireland chairman Kevin Dillon called for action on research and development, education, infrastructure and tax. He also said there was a need for an "e-minister."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Ahh come on....Tommy McCabe of IBEC had a go at me regarding flat rate at the National Digital Media Conference.

After my presentation he jumped to his feet and said "Who is going to pay for all this, in the current climate" (see I kept notes!), he was quite dismissive.

If only these bodies would show *a little* co-ordination.

Or maybe Kevin Dillon was listening to me as I also said at the conference .....
    "The appointment of a dedicated E-Minister is years overdue at this stage. This needs to be a cabinet level post, responsible for the information society in Ireland, including telecoms re-regulation, broadcast media, e-government and technology for competitiveness."

GUYS.....WAKEY WAKEY!!!!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

E-Minister ? , if the current Dept and its Minister were clued in it would be fine. Why should the taxpayer pay even more money for another minister and dept to bring about some commonsense procedures.

I don't think an E-Minister would be beneficial. Does the UK e-minister do any good ? Wasn't it Oftel that brought about all the progress over there ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

E-Minister ? , if the current Dept and its Minister were clued in it would be fine.

Very true, but unfortunately O'Rourke is an muppet of the highest order.

I don't think an E-Minister would be beneficial. Does the UK e-minister do any good ?

Not particularly, but only because he's a muppet too. As was his predecessor.

Wasn't it Oftel that brought about all the progress over there ?

Kind of, but not really. Oftel does a lot of good work, but the head honcho there is another muppet, and most of the competition was brought about by /serious/ pressure being brought to bear by OLO's.

adam

[Any offense to Henson Muppets caused by this post is unintentional]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dahamsta
    [BVery true, but unfortunately O'Rourke is an muppet of the highest order. [/B]

If FF do get an overall majority, the one good thing that might come out of it is if O'Rourke was made ceann comhairle (she has been putting out feelers to people on the idea). My opinion on the job that she might do is my own secret, but she would be away from telecoms forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

Yeah, but my thoughts on getting an e-minister is it would only be replacing one muppet with another, unless they appointed some clued in, non elected person. Someone actually that wouldn't be influenced by industry or anyone else.

That would probably be a non-national. However all these appointments are political so they'd be influenced in some way. Can't win...

Mary going would be nice though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

E-Minister ? , if the current Dept and its Minister were clued in it would be fine. Why should the taxpayer pay even more money for another minister and dept to bring about some commonsense procedures.

To be fair to the Department of Public Enterprise, they had far to big a brief to cover. I would welcome a move to have telecommunications extracted from their brief and given much more attention, as it is so important for the so called knowledge/digitial economy the government is so eager to embrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Dangger
    be fair to the Department of Public Enterprise, they had far to big a brief to cover. I would welcome a move to have telecommunications extracted from their brief and given much more attention, as it is so important for the so called knowledge/digitial economy the government is so eager to embrace.
    More likely is that transport will be extracted from the DoPE. Who knows, though. A separate ministry for communications would be great - the area needs a lot of Government attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Looks like Mary is on shaky ground at the moment. She might be out of that Dept alright.
    So long and thanks for the stalling of the telco sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by yellum
    Looks like Mary is on shaky ground at the moment. She might be out of that Dept alright.
    So long and thanks for the stalling of the telco sector.

Yep Yellum, looks like Muppet Mary (as Dahamsta likes to call her!) is on the way out and, to be honest, I don't think any of us are sorry for that.

Goodbye Mary, thanks for nothing (except stalling flat-rate internet access for at least another 15 months)!

Let's hope the next Minister for Public Enterprise does more to get flat-rate up and running. I doubt it because they all seem to be the same and are singing from the same hymn sheet but here's hoping!

Advertisement