Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shock Turn in the Path to Becoming an RA

Options
  • 17-05-2002 2:12pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

Shock Turn in the Path to Becoming an RA

It has come to the attention of this indiviual that there has been a new
    'regulation' instituted by the Centre for Talented Youth of Ireland.
    Apparently all past RAs have NOT been asked back this year.
    Whether this is legal or not is currently being looked into.
    This shock turn of events was only came across by chance.
    One Breifne Earley, a well known and hard working ex-RA,
    made a phone call to enquire about whether there was a job for him or not.
    It is as of yet unknown what has brought about this new
    regulation and as to whether or not it will be an on-going rule
    or if it is just a 'once off'.
    More news as it happens...

Pádraic D. Hallinan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ceewa

i don't think its illegal, but its unfair

the first year i did ra was 99 and the following year we all got letters and application forms saying that we had to reapply if we were interested in working there in 2000.

i had to apply this year although i didn't have to do an interview.

i've been involed in leadership programmes too over the past three years, its voluntary work but we have to fill out application forms each time, for legal reasons, stuff to do with working with under 18

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Did you get offered a job for this year then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

i really dont like this! why????? oh why??????
    sob. well, not really, but i will really be mad if i cant see my favorite RAs. i just think something should be done! was i so totally clueless that i didnt notice something horrible happening last year? ack. i miss them! maybe we can protest and ask for our old RAs back... would the new ones be as good? with no one to tell them what happened the year before? are the new RAs previously CTYI experienced? oh dear. an outrage!

......watch.....this is all a hoax and i've made a fool of meself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

i want the old ra's!!like my wonderful kathryn,and niamh and OH MY GOD FRANK!!HE HAS TO BE THERE!and sarah,andandand all the ta's too,like abee,and david,andandand everyone.but new ones would be lovely all the same.oh!ciaran!he has to be there!i love him!he's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

FFFFFFIIIIIINNNBAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

}:>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ashley

Kathryn was wonderful. She let us do all sorts of illegal things like coming back to our rooms well past 10 at night and having parties until after lights out. Finbar and Ciaran were really cool too...

yeah! finbar and ciaran!! we should all write about how we need them! and Declan! Gee whillickers! plus, niamh wore a pot/saucepan thingamy on her head! and that was cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Hehe...

Niamh, was cool but I'm still gonna hold taking the bra off me against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

i want James back!
    with his worldly knowledge..
    and his easily insultableness..
    and his timidity during ra meetings...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ceewa

i did get offered a job i'm doing three different ones for the six weeks aaaah. one session as ra. my brother and his friend applied for ra but still haven't heard anything back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Elvish

I want James back too
    with his monkey-like hairy legs!
    And his overall sound-ness.
    And his very varied background!

-Rob

yeah! those legs were like sasquatch! im sure gnna miss'em. gross but cool.

Well it looks like only some of last years RA's are being singled out then.
    Perhaps it was those who were completely NEW last year or something.
    This comes straight from Niamh:

Written just for you by me
    * well to be honest i think its just last years RAs that they are not *
    * taking back *
    * there was so much contronversy... *
    * but i know i had a job if i wanted it *
    * and i know that aoife and daryl and brain are all going back *

Hmmm...
    I guess that says it all doesn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Faile

Just passing through, thought I should at least put in my two cents worth...

Apparently ctyi had quite a few job applications this year and this is a new idea they're trying out with regards to employing ras - it doesn't seem to matter if they were new to ctyi or not. And from what I've heard, Daryl Aoife and Brain are being offered jobs as insructors or tas, rather than ras, if that helps any.

I'd be interested to hear what exactly the alleged controversy was about though Pádraic, because it passed straight over my head. Hmm, or out of my working memory anyway...

For the record, it's great to know we'll be missed, we thought you guys rocked too :)

~K.

Ah so it was true after all...
    Breifne was told he MAY be offered a job as a TA but i don't think he wanted it.
    Daryl Aoife and Brain being offered jobs as TAs/Instructors i guess fits with the No previous RAs being offered jobs as RAs this summer.
    Ah well. C'est la vie.

The main kinda controversy is that they had their applications accepted, untold of said 'new idea' and some were turned down.
    It's possibly illegal... This is just what ive been told...

btw who's Faile?

I was an RA last summer halenger - though from Ashley's description, it's no wonder they're not taking me back ;)

Incidentally, if any of my old group are around this summer, let me know? All going well I'll be working with the young students in July - would be good to see you lot again :)

~K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I was talking to Seán a few days ago and as far as I know James (Bell) is coming back this year -- which is good. I am also pretty certain that he will be RA'ing Legal Studies which is, surpringly enough, the course I am doing. What a coincidence! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

kathryn!!hellohellohello!*hug*

i shall be back this year session 2 tra la la
    and i shall email you too sometime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Moni

Kathryn!

Yeah, this is monica, if you remember me, and I'll be there session 2!

Argh. they should let the old RAs back... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Cait

Kathryn! I'll be about session 2 aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ashley

I'll be there session 2 as well. So will Samantha Carpenter (from Session 1 last year)

Aw. it's great to hear from you all! *hugs*
    And so many coming back session 2 - it'll be nice to see you all again :)

Not as good as RA'ing for you guys of course - I mean, I'm pretty sure the young students don't feed their TAs chocolate the way you lot did ;)

OrangeRhino - em, James is standing beside me at the moment and he's pretty sure he won't be RA'ing this summer... Em. Yes. Sorry about that.

Anyway, there have been all sorts of confusions with regards to email addresses but if any of you are looking for me I'm mostly about at kathryn@abandcalledsomeday.com, drop me a line if you get the chance :)

~K. x

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Hang on... when people mentioned Daryl above did they mean Daryl Hanberry?? He was my first RA and I want him back!!

The fact that I can't actually go to CTYI this year is inconsequential. I shall just sneak in some Sunday... and hopefully not get kicked out...

}:>

soo...erm...i dont understand. i still dont know WHY they arent coming back. WHY!!??!??!!?!?!? WHAT DID I MISS???

Advertisement