Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think my puters is dead!!!

• 03-07-2001 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

frown.gif

My harddrive started 2 make weird sounds ekk..

then when it became unbearable /me went for ctrl+alt+del.

On reboot it says os not found :/
    sound weird 2 u to eh?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Hate that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Prolly have to format which sux. I just did mine and i got almost too much free space!

[This message has been edited by Volvagia (edited 03-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Happens to mine on occasion, I generally take it out, give it a swift tap with a screwdriver,
    stick it back and it its fine and dandy for another few weeks.
    It generally happens after I've left my machine on for a few days, when I next boot it the HDD ain't detected.

Best thing to do if you have important data is to get a new drive and backup the old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Something similar happened to me a while ago.

One of my machines was working grand one night, shut it down properly and all, then in the morning it says "insert bootable media..."

Seems the partition tables were kind of destroyed. I spent a while trying to restore from a ghost image, then gave up and reinstalled 98 on it, shut it down and the next time I went to use it the tables were screwed again, so I just ripped the hdd out and chucked it. Big waste of time. smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,461 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Possibly just something like a loose connection to the HD [this would cause the no OS bit] or (sad to say) maybe a broken part [the screeching noise].

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 data banks

Sounds like a head crash to me. A head crash is most often preceded by a screeching sound as the head pushes impurities into a platter of the disk. If this is the case you'll be very lucky to recover any data. Maybe ontrack disk recovery software may be useful to recover sector-by-sector. Good luck.

PS. Get a new hard disk (I don't think you'll have a choice)
    D Glynn
    www.webquest.ie
    Your Partner For E-Business Success

[This message has been edited by data banks (edited 04-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

It's unlikely to be due to a faulty connection I would say.

The error is a BIOS message that it can't boot from a relevant partition, as phaxx said above.

Assuming you are using Windows, boot from a floppy and try:
    fdisk /mbr at the prompt, or at least see if you can change to the C: drive after a floppy boot. If you can the above would work, if not it's more serious problem.

This I would think may be to do overheating? A faulty or overused/old HD fan? If it's okay after leaving the machine off for a few hours, it's probably a cooling problem. A dirty big Kryotech unit should keep it cool wink.gif.

Remember that a standalone HD usually uses power up and down features from the BIOS unless you disable them. If you are fileserving or something, an IDE drive will probably not suffice.

But like it was said above, better to simply backup all data and get a new drive. How old is the HD you are using? Specs?

Advertisement