Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother Board Info?

• 03-07-2001 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

Im thinking about uograding my cpu from an amdk62 450 to summin like a Duron or Athlon.

My question is how do I find out if my current mothe board will accept the new chip, or even better how do i find out what make mobo I have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Your motherboard will not take a tbird or duron, so you need a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Yeah your current motherboard is socket 7.
    You want to get a slot A or socket A board..
    there are loads out there, I would personally recommend the asus a7v, as it is the board i use.

What is now was once only imagined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Argh!

So far thats a New mobo I need, Cpu, graphics card!

Id be as well off bulding a new one at this rate!

Thx for the info.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Yes, you would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The asus a7v only runs at 100mhz bus, while the a7v133 is slower than a ddr board.
    Since ddr ram is just about as cheap as ordinary pc133, I'd recommend going with a ddr board, like the epox 8k7a+ or the gigabyte 7DXR, whichever is cheaper. Both these boards are very stable and overclockable, some of the stability coming from their use of the amd 760 northbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

dont forget the new case you will need as well!...

anyone have a socket7 for sale? seriously?

Advertisement