Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duff left-wing or centre forward

• 17-05-2002 3:36pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭

should damien duff the most sought after left-wing in the premiership make the transition the centre forward.
    I believe he should stick with what has made both man utd and liverpool want the young irish star.
    however mick MCarthy seems to think otherwise.
    so were should the duffer showcase his talent?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Personally, although I am not completely convinced of his ability to score goals, I think himself and Robbie Keane with Morrison on the bench (or left behind if possible) should start up front, especially against the Germans, who don't seem to like playing against pacy players. As I said, I would be sceptical of his goalscoring ability, but I think himself and Robbie Keane for the German game. Maybe try Quinner against the Cameroon, but as he won't last, McCarthy has to be willing to try change tactics in the absence of another big man to replace Quinn. But there is definitely a striking role for Duff in at least one game, possibly two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Why whta's wrong with Clinton Morrison. I think he's doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

He has played for his country (ie England) at many youth levels before, and, shall we say, didn't choose Ireland for his senior international career out of patriotism. Owen, Fowler, Phillips, Cole, and all the other great strikers England have might have had something to do with it.
    Apart from scoring a goal against Croatia that my Nanny would have scored (in the same game Connolly reminded us why we went to Morrison in the first place, with a disgraceful miss) he has not proved himself. He is a mercenary. That said, I wouldn't boo him or anything, and as long as he is in McCarthy's plans, he is a part of the team and I am sure he will give it all he's got.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

personaly id have both morrison and duff in the team.
    bring duff back to his left wing position and have the very talented and full of potential morrison as quinns replacement with keane.
    however against the germans pace would be a good option.

the way i look at it would duff make it as a centre forward in the premiership?
    i dont think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I think Duff should play on the left for two reason. Firstly I think he is stronger there, he has been a sensation for blackburn on the left so why move him.

Also having Duff and Keane up front does not gives us anybody to target with high balls. We need sombody liek Quinn (but not Quinn) to knock the ball into so he can play it down for Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Duff on the left, Keane & Morrison up front.

Keane & Morrison (and to a lesser extent, Quinn) will be able to finish if they get the supply, Duff will give it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Duff on the wing, could be considered a bit of a waste of one of the most naturally talented footballers to wear the green. He can certainly shoot, as evidenced last night and he causes defences so much trouble running at them that they give away free kicks all around the box for Ian Harte to stick in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Play him on the wing I reckon.
    The team should be:
                                   Given

Finnan     Cunningham    Staunton   Kelly/Harte (undecided)

Reid          Roy Keane      Kinsella       Duff

Robbie Keane  Morrison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Aye id agree with that team cept maybe giving jayo! the chance on the right and reid his replacement for last half hour.

Definetly feel that duff is more dangerous on the left wing and then morrison to partner keane.

And Kilbane can **** off back home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

I agree, he should play left wing

No wonder mick was going to bring Kennedy cos of Kilbanes poor form....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

There`s no way Duff should play left wing when that muppet Ian Harte is left back. The reason McCarthy picks Kilbane is because he(looks like him:D) gives us some defensive cover when Harte goes walkies. I think duff plays well in both roles and i`m not sure where he should be put, if harte plays duff will be up front.

If only Irwin was still playing, we`d be sorted.

Just my2c what does anyone else think

I`d start Quinny up front with robbie and maybe introduce morrison after 60mins

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Why resurrect a long dead thread ugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

lala88 wrote: »

don't be resurrecting dead threads please.

To think some posters here were still a one digit age when this thread was started...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement