Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attendance

• 17-05-2002 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

i am trying to come up with a way for recording employee absence in work. just something that could be filled out once a week stating what days you were in.
    the person who will be managing it does not want to be doing any copying and pasting to another spreadsheet. i was trying to come up with a way of using Outlook to do this.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well....Access would be ideal but it's db or you could use excel, but it's not as maintainable......using Outlook??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Really can't see the problem with using Excel...if you know what your at it'll do the job nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭gar

see i dont really know what im at.

each individual in the office would fill out the form and then send it back to who ever is maintaing the list. so you would be getting back a nice few. i was thinking along the lines of sending an email maybe.
    but the access idea has made me think.

keep the ideas coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

relatively simple task in excel:

define a spreadsheet format that you'll send out to the employees... name/hours per week etc. whatever you need.

put together a master file with all the employees names and spaces for times etc.

then just create a macro for copying the data from the individual files to the master..
    find name field in employees file.
    search for that name in master.
    start copying data.
    save master.

course you'll probably need some knowledge of writing excel macros.. but its not too hard to pick up at all.. including learning i'd put a time frame of about two weeks to have a decent solution put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭gar

Your knowledge ceases to amaze me!
    cheers ken, ill give that a blast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I've seen some software before on PC Live! which keeps track of employees.
    Can't remember the name though.
    Check some back issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It may have been MYOB (mind your own business) not sure if thats accounting or employee tracking.. i know the one your talking about though i have seen it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

We use a program called Tempus PRo to do all our time , hours
    etc, works well
    Nothing to do with access/excell mind you , just in case u start lokin for alternatives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Create a sheet with the persons names and days. Then print it out and stick on wall. Have people mark that. If it has to go onto computer then someone types them into a DB at the start of the week (the previous weeks)

Off-topic(?) but just to let you know the absolute worst thing you can do when generating metrics is to base it on actual people. Despite your best intentions unless you already have a time-clock system in place people will take personal offense to it. (trust me).

If you want to sneak it in then I'd say mark it up as a fire list check (a list that is taken when a fire happens in the building so the firemen know if to go in or not to save their sorry asses) :)

Otherwise get a time-sheet system where they list up what they did for the week. Don't say it's to track that your in for those hours (it will be anyway) but no point irking people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Static M.e.
    We use a program called Tempus PRo to do all our time , hours
    etc, works well
    Nothing to do with access/excell mind you , just in case u start lokin for alternatives

Not a cheap alternative. Plus the guys they used have at least (possibly the guys they still do) don't have much of a notion on how their own product works - took me a week of troubleshooting with feck all useful help from them to get it working.

(do they still use the icons from Outlook? Meaning no icons on the left-side of the screen if you haven't installed Outlook?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

hehe Forgot how bad it was to install initally , yea youve to
    kinda "tweak it " allright

Dont know about that outlook thingy though, ill look into it
    i would hope not

Advertisement