Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lap link

• 17-05-2002 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell desktop PC and a Dell lattitude laptop.
    I want to copy files from the laptop to the PC.
    Can someone tell me what I need to buy/install etc. to perform a lap-link.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cheapest: buy a crossover cable (not sure on price, I'll guess under eur30) and use Windows networking to transfer.

Slow as hell

Not cheapest: laplink route. USB crossover cable is fastest.

Recommended if you'll ever need more than two machines talking to each other - get three network cards and a hub. No software cost.

I've had problems getting my hub working properly for months. Being lazy Iit's in the corner, now I just use a zip drive (stupid-proof).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

lol that qustion seems Rhetorical! You can get a serial cable and buy software called "Lap-Link" but as was said.. its slow... get network cards and a hub OR a crossover Rj45 cat 5 cable if its only 2 systems and you wont be adding any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

bi-directional paralell cable = €12

thats all u need
    i used get about 80k a sec between pc's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Strategist - Ok I buy this cable and connect between RJ45 COM ports on each machine. Then what. Do I need to buy further s/w or can I download straight from the net?
    I should have said in my initial thread that I knew there would be a cable of some sort required (IrDa not available on both machines).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

If you have rj45 ports, chances are you have network cards. or isdn adapters. rj45 looks like a big telephone plug (telephone is rj11 or rj12 i dunno).

You probably dont have them.

Serial cable: http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=3244&type=6&sid=163192x0. Depending on the versions of windows you have, you could be able to use that without any 3rd party software, but it's slow, and fiddly to set up: Its like ppp, you have to "dial" each time you connect the two machines.

Same goes for parallel cable: http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=3411&type=6&sid=163194x0.

if you're gonna be transferring anything more than a few megs of stuff i'd reccomend getting a couple of network cards and a crossover cable http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?q=ethernet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I have connected both machines.
    The PC has windows 2000, the laptop windows 98, now what do I have to do to transfer files bewteen the two??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

hmm, dont have win2k here (just xp).

but essentially... using 2k create a new "advanced" network connection to accept incoming connections on com1 or whatever you're using. then on win98 use "direct cable connection" to connect to the win2k system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

I used the generic windows Direct Cable Connection software both on XP and 98

i ended assigning the 2 machines and setting up running an ftp server on one and a client on the other to transfer files :o - although im sure there were easier ways of doing it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by StrataGIST
    I used the generic windows Direct Cable Connection software both on XP and 98

i ended assigning the 2 machines and setting up running an ftp server on one and a client on the other to transfer files :o - although im sure there were easier ways of doing it :D
    That is probably the easiest way. I was going to suggest putting the machines into the same network workgroup and enabling file sharing. Then you could enable sharing on particular folders and access these shared folders through the network neighbourhood.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I tried setting up a direct cable connect, having win2k listning for a connection and win 98 trying to connect, they won't connect. Is there any settings that i'm over looking. I'm using a serial cable which worked fine between two win 98 machines. I have a parellel also but it won't work either. Any help?

Advertisement