Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History special topics.

Options
  • 17-05-2002 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about making a start on my special topic in history over the summer (just finishing fifth year) and i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions about what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Make your topic original but not so obscure that the person marking your exam has to research it for themselves ;)

Doing the life history of someone is tricky unless you specify a time period e.g. a topic on hitler before he came to power / between his rise to power and the invasion of Poland / during the war etc.

My teacher in secondary school told us that he read a special topic essay on contemporary jazz in 1930's Germany. We had never studied anything like that and it's hardly on the course but keep an open mind and as long as it's within 1870-1970 Europe, you should be fine. (last time I checked anyway :))

I did mine on the Lusitania. Not a good example of originality at all but at least the person marking my exam knows straight off whether or not I know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I did/am doing my research topic on Albert Speer. What Fidelis said is all right except for using Hitler has as a special topic, he is too general, however if you did something like the Kapp Putsch that would be better. Doing the research topic is a good idea because wading through a few books in 6th year trying to pull info out of them ain't fun. Here is a few ideas on topic that are popular

Edward Carson
    Trial of Rodger Casement
    Kevin Barry
    Abdication of King Edward VIII
    Count Von Moltke and the Kinsean Circle
    Kim Philby
    Countess Markievicz
    Kilmichael Ambush
    Howth Gun Running
    Strategy and military tactics in the Battle of Stalingrad
    Eamonn Kent
    Paris Commune
    Ernest Blythe
    Clann na Talmhan
    The Sparticists
    Saor Eire
    Communist Party of IReland
    William Joyce - Lord Haw haw
    Pearse the educationist
    Simone de Beauvoir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭potlatch

Simone de Beauvoir = zzzzzz.

The Spartacist uprising would be great.

Personally, I'd go for something like the Paris 1968 student revolt. If any of you do it, advance me a copy will ya? I'd love to read it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I'm doing my one on Cosgrave during the 16 Rising. Its dead easy and short . I know someone and in his school they dont do the special topic they reckon doing the extra essay is a better idea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Thanks for the advice lads. Ill have to think about it. I was thinking something to do with WW2. Possibly leningrad.

Anyway any other suggestions would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by damnyanks
    I'm doing my one on Cosgrave during the 16 Rising. Its dead easy and short . I know someone and in his school they dont do the special topic they reckon doing the extra essay is a better idea!!

Not doing a special topic isn't such a good idea, people who do a special topic score on average 15 marks better. Irish history special topics tend to get a slightly higher mark than European history ones, especially if it is to do with local history (that's a hint:P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sc317

Would it be worth it for a candidate to do a special topic at this late stage or would it be completely suicidal? I think it'd be less time consuming than a load of minnow topics like feminism, education etc....

If i was to do it it'd be on the fighting between anarchists and communits in barcelona during the spanish civil war and I have most of the reading up done anyway - George Orwell's Homage to Catalonia.

Anyone in the same boat??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

a lot of those topics posted above have been done to death and examiners love something different, look through your hist book for something that related to another topic and it's just breifly mentioned in a line or 2, i;e the internees in the curragh camp or even suss out your own area for something that happened.... Write a damn good essay, go into the exam wirte it down and theres your 75 marks... BUT DO THE SPECIAL TOPIC!! handy marx...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I'm in 5th year and did my special topic last year: "Events in Drogheda and District Leading to the Bombardment of Millmount, Drogheda 4 July 1922"
    Won silver medal in Trinity schools competition last year.
    Girl in my class did "The Rise & Fall of the West Clare Railway", got gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I am doing Lord Haw Haw, its due for tomorrow for my bloody summer test. Needless to say i aint finished.

Damn you Page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

I did "British Involvement in the growth of Jewish Zionism and Arab Nationalism" its really interesting and topical

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Oh my God my special topic,I totally forgot! No no no. Help I have a week to do it.Can somone help me and tell me what the hell to do 3 pages on and what (more or less) is supposed to go into it?

Where can an Idiot get information on Lord Haw Haw please!???????? (PS Im freaking out now)

Yo yo chill g man.
    Type lord haw haw into yahoo or william joyce his real name, i ll look for more info when i have time. My older sister who gotta an A1 just gave me her history notes and project so i need no chill pill.

Word of advice, dont do something widely known such as hitler rise to power, last days etc, cos if you do the examiner has seen this a hundred times or so and will spot slight mistakes a mile off.

Do something relatively unknown or done because if you get stuck in the exam you can make little things up, to add some bulk to it ie bul$h*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Cheers man. Im on it now. Its not gonna be good,I hate this LC thingy, Willy Joyce is the one anyways.Thanks. (deep breath)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fbuckley

Hey, I'm also doing William Joyce for my research project, any chance you still have notes/sources/complete copy? (no harm in asking :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fbuckley

you or your sister wouldn't happen to still have these notes by any chance??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

That post was from 7 years ago:eek: you should send Grimes a PM as I doubt very much he'll see your post

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

theowen wrote: »
    That post was from 7 years ago:eek: you should send Grimes a PM as I doubt very much he'll see your post
    Aye, he's still around boards, so you might be in luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement