Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veritas error

• 04-07-2001 9:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

'lo again..

I've moved n from crappy dot matrix printer problems to all new, all dancing network issues. Yaaaay!

I thought about the nets/comms board but this doesn't really seem to fit with the general internety stuff and it doesnt seem to be security either...mods, feel free to move this if it should be somewhere else.

Anyway, I've just started as a net admin in a new company, and inherited the software and stetup from another admin. So noot everything is my ideal tool for the job (for example, I'm used to Arcserve, but here we use Veritas for server backups).

Now, according to the log, the backup has never worked! It keeps coming up with a backup failed error message and has done ever since it's inception. Anyone know how I can get more details on this message? Like what failed? And how come, if the backup failed a restore test worked perfectly?

Methinks it is just one missing or damaged file that is throwing up the error but I have zero idea how to find exactly which one it is. Pardon the iggerence but I haven't had time to curl up with the manual yet. For the near future it's going to be monkey see monky do type stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

We use Veritas on some of our servers, from what I've seen if its on an Exchange server, mail boxes with croup mails will not get backed up and will fail.ie: I have a .mpg Attachment that is damaged. but the back up will still run and the end result is that it came up as failed.....take a look at how much got backed up and then the space that is going to be backed up, if its close but off by a few megs it has backed it up.

Also make sure if its backing up over the network to other servers that it has access to the drives.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

[This message has been edited by sutty (edited 04-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Nice one Sutty smile.gif

I had a look at the server logs and yes indeedy it has access denied to the MS exchange mailboxes.

Now, what's this "croup" mail? Mispelled Group Mail?

Is it the atachments on the mail that is causing it?

Or, more obvious yet, it could be the just denied access from the way it is set up to get the info from the server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Yossarian

In order to be able to backup an Exchange Database (or any other DB) you will need the Exchange backup plugin installed.
    If this is not installed it will give an unable to backup error. iyt might declare unable to backup or open file..cant remember.
    Take a look at the veritas site for further info on backing up exchange with Backup Exec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

soz about that, really bad spelling on my part...thats what spell check came up with frown.gif
    (Its meant to be corrupt)

Anyway, It is the Attachment thats coming up in the log, if you can get rid of the mail then it will stop, but you dont need to. we have had no probs restoring info, its just that the bad mail is not there. But everything else is.

But you may also want to look into the account that you use to back up with. Make sure it has the right permissions for accessing everyones mail. If you want to do it fast just set it up as the Administrator, although making a new account with SOME Administrator permissions will be a lot safer.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Yossarian

If the veritas log is giving a specific error
    then check it here http://support.veritas.com/

What is the OS?
    What version of Backup Exec?

If its NT/W2K check the eventlog(system) for hardware errors.

Try running a test backup, see what happens smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

If you view the "failed job" you should see a log file which details files it choked on and why.
    It will say failed if it misses one file but the rest will be fine as your restore proved.

Advertisement