Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underground hip hop programme on phantom

Options
  • 17-05-2002 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Any chance of a good underground hiphop hour sometime in phantom's schedule? I heard a creative controle song today, second time i've heard one on phantom, and it's a nice change from the usual. whaddya think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

cathal the guy on heavy traffic on fridays has been doing a kinda 30 mins to an hour of hip hop type stuff at the start of his show so between about 4 on 5 there already is a hip hop theme going down...

its not really my thing but i like it cos its really fresh sounding, really different to what we usually hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Ah right, I've been missing it then; I leave school at 5 o'clock so my phantom listening is restricted to 5pm-6pm usually. respect to cathal for breaking the mould.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

i got the impression from someone in phantom - after the last 'phantoms crap because...' thread, that phantom was a rock station, not NOT a hip-hop station. kudos to whoever is playing hip-hop, though, must check it out when my exams are done ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Why can't it just be a good music station. They play some music that isn't Rock - played the arse off that Avalanches song for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tara

You might be able to twist my arm to do an hour or two of hip-hop. Have done it a couple times in past, but always a bit nervous to, as not sure of reaction of the rockers. So maybe I will work on doing it again sometime soon.

What do you mean by "underground" hip-hop by the way????

I am from NY so would be into De La, Tribe Called Quest, Jungle Brothers, Missy etc. Not keen at all on Brit hip hop at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

by underground i mean "good". :) not dr. dre, eminem, d12, p diddy, all that ****e.. What you're talkin', and stuff like j5, early wu-tang, mr. complex, tribe called quest (did you mention them? i forget), jeru the damaja, afu-ra, dj shadow, mobb deep, etc etc.

not to mention creative controle of course.

It's excellant that someone's been thinking of the idea already.. hope you take it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

Not a big fan of hip hop, but I'm on for being informed. Have always enjoyed what Tara plays the odd time on a Saturday.

More hip hop on Phantom, that's what I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Kopf
    by underground i mean "good". :)
    [snip]
    not to mention creative controle of course.

surely not :)

Tara, you could try tracks like Blackalicious - Shallow Days, Latyrx - Lady Don't Tek No, Lateef - The Quickening, Asop Rock - No Regrets... all slightly more intelligent hip-hop than the usual gangster fare, but with great deep beats..

don't have ppl turning off with cheap tinny poppy & gangster crap ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tara

Not a big fan of the west-coast gangsta scene. There are some brilliant tracks out there by Dre, Ice Cube, Snoop etc...but it is usually their older stuff. My favorites are mostly from early 90's NYC scene: Tribe, De La Soul, Pharcyde, Jungle Brothers, Black Sheep. As far as new stuff, am liking MOP, Eve, Missy, Outkast.

I will work on it, and let you know when I get something together. Not as easy as putting together regular indy show. Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Whatever happened to The Roots. They were really cool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

dunno what they're up to now but they're a f ucking incredible band,

More hip hop and more Jazz while we're on the subject of not typical phantom music

I know you dig it when I kick it baby

Advertisement