Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Voting be made Compulsory?

Options
  • 18-05-2002 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

A way to tackle low turnout? I like it personally. Maybe voting could take place over a week and you could have a choice to "abstain", just as long as you USE your vote. Other mediums to vote should be introduced as well, text message, telephone, internet, etc. What do you think?

Should Voting be made Compulsory? 17 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    70% 12 votes
    \"Abstain\"!
    29% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

No i don't think thats a good idea. For the election so far it been good. The lady at the polling station said it was 61% turnout so far. Before low turnouts were cuz of having the vote in the middle of the week, so then students couldn't vote and also that polling stations would close at 5:30pm so lots of people couldn't vote. having the polling stations open till 10:30pm is alot better and having it on a friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Aye I agree They should have an option "None of The Above"

Would be a sure winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

That's not exactly what I meant. I think it would work in such a way that people who do not like any of the candidates, that they would be obliged to vote for, can use it as a form of protest. They HAVE to vote, but don't have to vote for someone. The "abstain" vote would also be an indicator to the incoming government the areas where dis-satisfaction is the greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by suppafly
    also that polling stations would close at 5:30pm so lots of people couldn't vote. having the polling stations open till 10:30pm is alot better
    I don't think they ever closed at %:30pm - the Constitution insists they are open for something like a minimum of 9 or 10 hours. Usually it had been 9am - 9pm.

Advertisement