Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking my p3. I'm gonna do it! If I can..

• 02-07-2001 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Right.This has dragged out a bit. My manual says only 100mhz RAM is supported, so does this mean it is the same for the FSB? I tried d/ling softFSB from that site u gave a while back Gerry,but its been taken down for unspecified reasons(softfsb, not the site).There are no options in BIOS for me.Give it to me in plain english smile.gif What must be done?

[This message has been edited by bugler (edited 03-07-2001).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭tarzan

if you need softfsb still, here it is
    softfsb

[This message has been edited by tarzan (edited 02-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

oh very good thread...i want to do the same...listening intently for gerry's response please wink.gif

also...just a quickie, not a thread stealer. is it better to reload an OS like MIllenium or 2000 after you change cpu's/upgrade? ie i had a celeron 500 working under millenium and now i have a p3 866 under the same HD/no changes/same OS....is this stable or should i reload the OS (please no debate as to whether millenium is better or not)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Some P3's are clock locked.

If you have an Intel mobo (like Dell & gateway ship) you have to flip a jumper on the mobo to enable Diagnostic mode (or something) - this will enable you to adjust the bus speed in the BIOS. However, as far as I remember, it will not boot in this mode, so to boot, flip the jumper back to normal. Asus and Abit boards can do it from the normal BIOS and boot operation; I think it's just a "consumer" safety feature Intel do with their own mobos.

Yankinlk: there is no need to reinstall your OS after you upgrade or overclock. It makes damn all difference to the software; the errors lie in the hardware you have not being able to take a higher than specified bus speed.

HDs generally are OK; modems can be pretty much on and off depending on quality. Any error Windows or whatever throws up is a hardware fault and basically making things unstable, you can eliminate the error by simply undoing whatever was the most recent change you made.

No need to reinstall Windows, again. And like I said, the errors you may get (from the video being utterly ballsed up) are all due to the cards and hardware you have. This is where it pays to have good quality stuff, not bargain basement type stuff.

I don't know if USB is also affected; I presume it is. NO harm in trying I suppose, but make sure you don't get too ambitious to start with. Start in small jumps of maybe 5 MHz to start with. If it's all good, go for more, etc., . Even more dandy is fiddling the voltage of the CPU, but you're in dangerous ground there if you don't know what you're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

you really are a techi aint ya red moose biggrin.gif

nice 2 have u handy biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

if its a dell or gateway bx chipset board, even diagnostic mode more than likely won't let you set a 133mhz bus speed, unless they had some decent boards in their later revisions. If you can find out what motherboard it is, that would be very helpful. The fsb adjustments, if any will more than likely be through jumpers on the board. Softfsb will work only if your motherboard's clock generator is supported. Main thing is to find out what motherboard you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

your right about the gateway 440bx based mobos. the diagnostic mode wont allow you to alter the fsb. i know because im stuck with one of those 4 year old piles of turd in my puter. oh well

<sig>Insert witty signature here</sig>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

I have a P3 500 on an Intel mobo from Gateway, about 1.5 years old. Maybe I should have a go and see if it's changed. I never overclocked it because I had no need of a few extra MHz (didn't seem like much and I could get my hands on one of thos old Celerons that could clock up to around 700MHz from 450 or so - Intel withdrew them pretty sharpish).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

i swear im not stealing this thread....

p3 866 (not overclocked yet)
    msi 6309 motherboard (very overclockable it seems)
    256 pc133
    soon to be geforce2 gts
    100mb network card
    onboard sound
    scsi card and SCSI HD
    OS is millenium, but might put 2000 on.
    nice 300watt case, lots of fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

System chip set = Intel 440BX AGPset

Shíte.Bad news I take it :/

If that can't be o/c, would ye recommend finding a slot 1 800mhz or 1 gig or else getting a new MOBO and an Athlon? This 600 isn't going to last forever.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-2

• Advertisement

By the looks of it, you will not be able to run the board at 133mhz. So you can either get a p3 850 for it, which is officially suppported by that board, or get a new board, case, cpu and memory.

yes, we know its a 440bx chipset. Thats not what determines whether your machine can be overclocked or not. So can you find out the make and model of the motherboard, or even the make and model of the machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Its a Dell Dimension XPS T600r, as for the MOBO itself,the only reference I can find is posted above.I'll open it up and have a look at it, but I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to take down or be looking at...

This of any interest?

System chip set
    Intel 440BX AGPset

Data bus width
    64 bits

Address bus width
    32 bits

DMA channels
    seven

Interrupt levels

System BIOS chip
    4 Mb (512 KB)

System clock
    100 MHz (matches external processor speed)

Diskette/communications ports
    48 MHz from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

There are actually revisions of the BX? oh cool. I better find out which one I have so. i'm planning on getting 256 or 512MB of PC133 ram and I'd like to overclock it if ossible.
    If i was to put the FSB to 133 and reduce te clock multiplier would the CpU be more stable? I only have the standard fan on ti atm

Advertisement