Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone Cable

• 18-05-2002 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with the phone cable you connect up to the digibox.
    Is it needed?
    Is it optional?
    Lots of people I know didnt have it fitted but they charged us a bomb for running a phone cable through 2 rooms.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

The idea for getting the phone cable connected to the box is as usual financial. The boxes are subsidised and to allay the cost SKY get money from the telphone company, it is also used for ordering pay events, ebanking, sending email, voting, betting, playing games and so on and all these earn money.

Finally SKY use it as a way of tying up the box to an exact address. The contract says keep it connected for 12 months then unplug it. If u unplug before then SKY may contact u etc.

By the way some of the services I have mentioned are not in ROI yet so keeping box hooked up does not matter that much at the moment.

Hope this helps.

GBCULLEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭skorn

I've never had my box connected to my phoneline.
    When Sky was installed I didn't have a phoneline installed yet.
    No consiquences but if I wanted to order Boxoffice events etc I'd obviously have to plug it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mocar

never had my sky box connected up to a phone line. when i need to order a box office movie (rarely) i ring the free phone number and they switch it on for me

mo:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Never had my box connected (6 months in place now). I also know two people that have their boxes installed and have no landline. There is also an 'official dealer' that includes in all his ads in my local paper 'mobile phone users catered for'.

I can understand why Sky want it connected*, but they do not enforce it. Some posters here have mentioned a 'light' on their digibox that suggests the box is attempting to dial out. This has never happened me.

After 12 months (when you own the box) there is absolutely no obligation to continue connecting box to phoneline. However, when interactive services arrive, you may choose to do so voluntarily.

* btw, I suspect it has less to do with financial considerations - the call revenue per user would be Sweet FA, box office and PPV events are limited to a credit limit, etc. I think it is more to do with digibox enforcement - that you don't trade boxes outside Ireland, or that you are not hooking a neighbour up to the same subscription, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

When i signed up to Sky it stated in the contract that i did not have to connect my box to the phone.

They now have changed that and it must be connected to it acording to the contract,but its not enforced.

I think it will be enforced when we get the second subcription when SKY+ launches.

I rang up one day for a movie though and was asked why i dont order it through the box and i said i didnt have it connected to the phone line.

They sent the movie signal but when i went to check again i found i could order movies through the phone line. Now my card limit is full and i dont know how to get rid of it.

Its pain beacuse i have to plug in the phone line to see the price of a movie or event when it used to come straight up beofre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Is it mandatory in the UK to have your box connected to a land line? I think when they can give us all the services here that they get in the UK, it will be the same here, I am moving into a new house soon so I am going to get a phone connection near the telly just in case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    Is it mandatory in the UK to have your box connected to a land line? I think when they can give us all the services here that they get in the UK, it will be the same here, I am moving into a new house soon so I am going to get a phone connection near the telly just in case

Hi Guys, I have been told unofficially not to insist on permanent connection at risk of losing a sale, however it is unwise for dealers not to use a landline to initially authorise a card as they run the risk of not being paid.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement