Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hotbird and others.

• 18-05-2002 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Any of you guys out there dabble with the "Hotbird" "Thor" etc.
    I don't see any posts on the subject ? Its not a taboo subject is it "Mod" I use a "patched" Humax 5400 for Inderto Cam, a 90 cm dish with monoblock LNB and have it locked on both tha Astra Digital and Hotbird simultaneously. Its gone quiet on Sky Digital, do yous want to get something going on the subject ?? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

I've always assumed because it's an Irish Group, we tend to talk about channels and the system that is aimed at the Irish Market. (Sky)
    As for watching other channels out there, well unless they are FTA or you're talking legal subs, the topic probably isn't welcome because discussion on how to do this could have the group closed.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well apart from SD, I have analogue on Astra 1 whilst I wait for my EON package (how long:confused: ). I like the 4 German music channels and must get myself acquainted with the music channels. Can anyone recommend any? Rock or Dance. Plus it is connected to all the tellies in house giving me an extra channel, usually Eurosport, MTV2 or Viva+ (until I get EON where the extra channel will be gone)

What's EON ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Paterick

Well done the Tipp lads yesterday, comiserations to the "Banner Boys" better luck next time :) :mad: "EON" thats a new one on me too ?? Anyway, if you got any queries on the main subject pls feel free to e.mail me - we can swop links/info etc.
    Best Regards
    Paterick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by SRB
    What's EON ?

Here we go on.. just go to www.europeonline.com
    Basically its a file fetch via satellite.. brilliant i think.. you need a dish pointing to astra 19.2 east and its €59 for a 6 month subscription including the free DVB card... amazingly fast downloads.. they even have a one way internet with speeds of about 750 kb/s or so.. you still need dial up to send info though but much cheaper than ADSL

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It would be nice indeed if only the damned DVB card would get recognised on my Windoze:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Yeah the EON service is good for large downloads except for one small problem I ordered and installed their service about 8 weeks ago and paid by CC which was all validated and checked at the time the DVB card arrived 1 week later no problems there it all worked fine. About his day last week I no longer had access to the EON service but thought no more about it last Saturday I got a generic Dear User email saying my CC payment came back with an error and that they would like me to forward valid payment details. Im thinking feckin idiots my CC expired 2 weeks ago and I got a new one well thats what I assume the problem is as they don't say what it is or give any reference numbers or anything.
    The email stated my service would be stopped in 7 days if I didn't forward valid details but since it was already stopped it was a bit pointless.
    The point im making is I bought the service with my CC which was valid for another 6 weeks and now my I have no service because for some unkown reason it took them nearly 2 months to attempt to collect payment.
    I have no problem paying for anything I order but im a little pissed that the stopped my service because of their mistake and without notice I emailed them 3 days ago no response as of yet.
    BTW They wanted me to email my CC details to them so anybody with a sniffer can snatch them on the internet.

Other than that it's a very good service some problems getting it to work in XP but im sure they will release updated software soon.

Regards
    Redshift

What sort of speed are you downloading at ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

SRB Wrote: I've always assumed because it's an Irish Group, we tend to talk about channels and the system that is aimed at the Irish Market. (Sky)
    As for watching other channels out there, well unless they are etc...
    >>
    Dont know, not everyone in Ireland watches sky alone, would be interesting if reception of other satellites was discussed (dosent have to be abbout hexfiles or not legal activity) like feeds or dvb software in nokias or anything odd or interesting ?
    Anyone else do this thing as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Watching/Intercepting feeds/backhauls(americana) is illegal and the best way to learn about Drhans Nokia toolz is first hand experience...
    :)

• Advertisement

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person in Ireland with an interest other than Sky, as you say, do not talk about hex etc keep it clean, this subject is widely spoken about in the UK forums, as a matter of fact most Uk forums ban any discussions about SKY !! My personal opinion is that Sky is a total ripoff.. re-cycled garbage most of the time, if it wasnt for the Simpsons and Al Bundy I would get rid of it., if you want to watch a decent movie or a decent fight you get screwed again !! I would like to see one of these foreingn providers mussel into the Irish and Uk markets and give Sky a bit of competition - maybe Ryanair might take up the challenge !!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I don't have Sky, but I have digital hotbird on viaccess, theres loads there so I haven't bothered with SECA yet. FYI you can now emulate in software all the main cams like Seca, viaccess and Irdeto with your standard DVB card. No need for extra hardware, just feed it the keys. I don't post here often so any questions you can ask chernobyl. ;)

Watching tv is illegal>

Yep, viaccess is fun and freecam and all things non sky.I agree sky is pisspoor in terms of endless ads,thats why I dumped it and took a bbc card which i guess is illegal too. As for Nokia,well first hand experience says it all.However anyone have any luck getting ths SCSI to work, looking into vgrabber experiments ie EOL taps.

Oh, thats illegal. Sky my a**se.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

according to chernobyl intercepting feeds etc is illegal
    That is bull
    You are allowed to pick up all signals that are present, if they donot want it to be seen then it is coded

Originally posted by seano
    according to chernobyl intercepting feeds etc is illegal
    That is bull
    You are allowed to pick up all signals that are present, if they donot want it to be seen then it is coded

Absolutely wrong.
    The feed being encrypted or FTA is a "non - issue" and before every WWF event, WRC feed which are all FTA there is a warning "watching this is illegal".

Companies dont have enough correlation between each other to share and encrypt feeds and also events like the WWF which are sent normally via 21W are pivked up by Sky/Telepiu/Stream/Canal/TV1000 blah blah blah...its just not feasable to encrypt it.

...watching any feed is illegal unless it is stated otherwise.

Many companies are actually getting so teed of with ppl picking up these events for nothing they are increasingly using 4:2.2 Mpeg..fuk

So seano..you think they send these feed just so you can watch for free?

..and the same applies for news feeds too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by Paterick
    What sort of speed are you downloading at ??

between 2mbs and 16 mbs.. shít fast

there is a law in regard to the sending of signals /lincence required/all signals are free to pick up
    Q.is someone in wexford breaking the law when they get HTV with a vhf aerial

Get your facts right mate

Right then, show me that law that says even though the programme i am watching is intended for reception by Sky and to be distributed as a PPV event but because i can recieve it in an unencrypted format i am not breaking any laws watching it.

Just because i can pick up 088 calls with a scanner because the calls are not encrypted does not mean that i am not breaking the law.

..and yes i would think the "guy" in wexford is breaking the law if he is watching a channel that is distributed in the UK and he just picks it up because of the output on the broadcasting mast....but it is very grey.

i will find it for you
    might take a while
    maybe that tony guy knows more
    until then i stand by my word

do not talk about hex etc keep it clean, this subject is widely spoken about in the UK forums, as a matter of fact most Uk forums ban any discussions about SKY !!
    ==============================================
    1: Yes and all of these forums keep getting closed and have to re-locate. (Don't you ever wonder why...???)
    2: The "Sky discussions" they ban are not of the same nature as those here.
    3: Have a look at this groups name.

• Advertisement

ok Chernobyl this should keep you busy
    www.analysys.com/vlib
    PS did u know my granny lives in Dublin and i have been busy for two hours convincing her that she is not going to get into trouble for receiving Carlow/Kildare radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the rules for terrestrial signals are that as long as you receive them directly from the source of transmission it's ok. it's an EU thing. i don't have a clue what rules apply to satellite feeds

ok Chernobyl this should keep you busy
    www.analysys.com/vlib

I have no intention of being "kept busy".
    You act like you speak with authority and knowledge and not hear say, so i ask again, show me this mystical regualtion that allows you to view PPVs for free....

oops..did i accidently just answer all my NDS cam questions correctly and is this Buffy for free.....oops i did it again...i gave..

we all make a choice in life
    some pay some donot
    If an american sticks on his feed that it is illegal to watch that is his to decide/ i receive it legally
    If he does not want me to see the thing then he should code it
    or they should not allow these receivers to be sold
    I never spoke about ppv regelation .i spoke about signals on sattelites,if there happens to ppv fta than lucky me
    If anyone is trying to speak with authorithy it is you

I would have thought the illegality being refered to here,applies to re-broadcast?
    And in the case of hacking-the equipment is illegal?
    One is definitely not breaking the law by watching HTV via an aerial in ROI.
    Dammit the HTV Wales edition of TV times has been on sale in newsagents in the southeast for Thirty years.
    Five live-I listen to that on medium wave-hope I'm not breaking the law there either.
    And adding further to this Shur ITV digital (R.I.P) signed me up as a customer.

Chernobyl did you tell us here before that you succeeded in officially signing up for encrypted European pay tv services?
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 POSTMAN

hey chernobyl,

if feeds etc. were illegal, why do all the broadcasters send freq, pids etc. to websites like www.satcody.com? they do that because they want to know how the reception is on the ground.

guys like seano handy as feedback!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 POSTMAN

sorry, on my last reply I said the address is satcody.com. this is wrong.
    the right one is: www.satcode.com

1) your link is wrong.
    2) your other link is wrong.
    3) any respectable reciever OS will allow you to view audio/video PID's and much more.

it seems as if you think you are the only one here who knows what he is talking about.
    You only seem to have something to say when it shall maybe show you as being an authority on subjects
    If you ask me you are bluffing half of the time

• Advertisement

BTW //Postman your link is www.satcodx.com
    and i agree with you

it seems as if you think you are the only one here who knows what he is talking about.
    You only seem to have something to say when it shall maybe show you as being an authority on subjects
    If you ask me you are bluffing half of the time

Oh my god i am so exposed...
    My weak facade that is my Sat TV knowledge had been completely undermined.

I sincerely apologise to all who wasted their time reading my posts and made decisions on that basis, i now hand the keys of the Lexus over to seano..bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The feed being encrypted or FTA is a "non - issue" and before every WWF event, WRC feed which are all FTA there is a warning "watching this is illegal".

Companies dont have enough correlation between each other to share and encrypt feeds and also events like the WWF which are sent normally via 21W are pivked up by Sky/Telepiu/Stream/Canal/TV1000 blah blah blah...its just not feasable to encrypt it.

...watching any feed is illegal unless it is stated otherwise.

chernobyl, could you explain why you believe it to be illegal to watch certain satellite transmissions that are transmitted unencrypted?
    Not that I want to get involved in this slagging match, just wondering what lead you to that conclusion.

THE TREATY OF ROME states that you have the freedom to receive all infomation that is send over your head
    This includes radio,tv and sat.....................................
    The receiving of coded signals with the goal of decoding and watching etc is illegal.
    All fta and clear signals are legal to enjoy.
    A grey area is the receiving of sub channels eg sky in france where you are cannot or are not allowed to subscribe to.Here you are watching but the goal is not to look for free so it is according to the EU allowed but that issue is being fought by the TV companies.
    Lastly the studing of codes,how they work,and how to decode them is allowed.It is only the using of the codes to watch programmes that have to be paid for illegal.
    Needles to say this whole area is a playground for lawyers
    Seano
    ps .all of the above info is courtesy of www.sat4all.com

Forget this windup thread> Anyone had the balls to install a datalogger into their digibox at the card slot? Theres a mod on nds.host.sk or something > If nothing else it will "Educate" you.>

After all ,sky is there for the taking if your up to it.

nice link m8

• Advertisement

Happy to oblige.Lets say I dont care for sky and am more interested in technology behind it. Mail me for further info on "Other" channels as they say.

Originally posted by telecinesk
    Forget this windup thread> Anyone had the balls to install a datalogger into their digibox at the card slot? Theres a mod on nds.host.sk or something > If nothing else it will "Educate" you.>

After all ,sky is there for the taking if your up to it.

Yeah as easy as going into the "installers menu" and turning encrption to "off".....?

I was not taking about FTA *fixed* channels i was referring to feeds which are one time only and at the opener of the feed it states "this broadcast is intended for reception by Sky (etc) only, anyone intercepting this tranmission does so illegally".

If your clever enough you can log the key sequence and do the rest... Im happily logging here,better than moaning about BBC not all in epg and the rest.>

i am getting bored with this subject ,i propose that we agree to disagree,

"I have no regrets,my concience is clear"

Advertisement