Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Athlon suitable cases up North?

• 04-07-2001 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all,

Anyone know if you can get cases suitable for Athlons (and ATX of course) preferably desktop in the Northern Ireland (Trying desperately to avoid delivery charges from England)

Thanks,.
    Xeno

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

im sure u can, just go to maplin electronics in belfast. they have them as far as i know

This device complies with part 15 of the PCC rules. Ooperation is subject to the following two conditions:
    (1) this device may not cause harmful interference, and
    (2) This device must accept any interference recieved, including muppetry from muppets which may cause undesired operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

well im getting a globalwin 802 with 4 ys tech 120 mm fan shipped in for £20 sterling

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 04-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

Shipping from up here will be about the same as shipping from the UK. Unless you are going to come up and collect the items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

ANY ATX cases will do

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Xenophobic

Leverz: I would be planning that smile.gif.

Sutty: Thats what I thought until... See thread relating to Building/upgrading Athlon

Xeno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Ok I just took a look at that topic......and I remembered why I never said anything in it!!! I mean ffs a dell case??? are you mad?? when I said "any" I meant any out of a shop case not a dell one. 2nd...you had better be getting extra cooling for a 1.4gz cpu. don't look in your dell case and think hat one extra fan will cut it. 3rd... if you are going to build it your self....do some more reading on it your self. got to tomshardware.com, find out what you can first. Have you ever used an athlon system before? do you know the best placements for fans? really I'm not trying to diss you here, but you don't seam to know enough about the system to make it and make it run stable.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep,

Used the Globalwin 802 to build my Athlon system here and it is the dogs dangly bits!!!

I would recomment using this case it makes building your system a pleasure, especially after the last system I had was a Dell and trying to upgrade it was a pain in the tits biggrin.gif

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Xenophobic

Ahhh sutty,

Such a pleasure being talked at by you.
    I'd advise you to reread that thread again, the entire one. You'll see a progression from thinking I could use the existing case to realising I couldn't, thanks to some (and you could learn a lot here) *helpful* information from people such as Gerry, Creed and Gladiator. If you have a look at the last shopping list I hope you'll find everything to your satisfaction, if you see any problems with it, please feel free to say so within that thread but please don't start a flamer over this one.

I don't know why I'm bothering but:
    I've worked in the IT industry for 7 years
    9 years ago built a computer room for FAS (computers not room smile.gif)
    First PC was - omigosh - an AMD 386 40.
    Upgraded that to a 486 33Mhz
    That to a 486 DX 2 66
    And many more friends machines and machines in work (blah blah).

Settled back and let Dell take the strain (Upgrading 486 to a Pentium not cost effective)
    for the two current PCs - P3 800 and 550.
    Many upgrades since then but now just want to rip the heart out of the 550 ship it to England and setup my new Athlon here.

I hope I meet with your approval?

Do I know the best placement for fans? No, thats why I'm on this board, to talk to people who do and have had experience of building systems using them.

Read up on it? No, I actually just went onto OCUK and ordered parts at random, sent them my cash and am now awaiting delivery of said randomly selected tat. I lie, I actually came onto the boards with a few components I had chosen from tomshardware, anandtech etc and asked peoples opinion of this configuration, with the information recieved I then updated the list.

Have I ever used an Athlon system before?
    No, but I presume it has a keyboard, mouse and an operating system on it so heres hoping I can find my a$$ with both hands.

"...really I'm not trying to diss you here..."
    Oh sorry, didn't realise, please ignore all the above then.

Gandalf: I take it you got that case from OCUK? Or, dare I hope someplace in Ireland?
    I could get the case delivered to the UK address and cutdown on delivery but I need it before I go. Hence looking in Ireland. frown.gif

Interestingly the below pdf mentions that front facing fans may have the effect of recirculating hot air in "extreme" circumstances <:| .

http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/pdf/cooling_guide.pdf

Advertisement