Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Star Wars forum

• 19-05-2002 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭

The name says it all really, you have a Lord of the rings forum so why not Star Wars?

I really want a mod badge to add to my badge collection.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

That's not a bad idea actually. I know there's a large following.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It'll give a good indication of how many religious "Jedi's" are out there as per census says us.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Good idea.

...gotta love those Jedi.... with the vvshhhuummm zzzuummm kriikkkk zzzuummm... and the mind controll with the force and the ummmflabin!

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

"The name says it all really, you have a Lord of the rings forum so why not Star Wars?"

And while we're at it, lets ask for forums to be made for every single popular film in the whole wide world...

"I really want a mod badge to add to my badge collection."
    Gosh don't we all!? WAKE UP - If we played the game the way you do Boards.ie would be congested with forums that stay active until the hype of the film dies down, resulting in a rarely used board that sits there wasting space...

In my humble opinion the LOTR Forum is only acceptable because there is so much you can talk about on that topic - beit the Upcoming Film Trilogy, the books, Warhammer LOTR Figures and a rake more, but still activity there has slowed down immensely since the hype of "The Fellowship" died (Which WILL come back once "The Two Towers" is released.

In my humble opinion a Star Wars board really wouldn't be a great idea, not only because I never took to the Star Wars Saga, but because it would eventually die down, and end up clogging Boards.ie along with a host of other un-used boards...

"I want a mod badge to add to my collection of badges"

Im not even going WASTE a rant on this comment, and that says a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Soz Ropeh I have to disagree...
    I was thinking of putting this idea forward ages ago but I never got round to it due to meh stupid L.C but I think it would be a good Idea
    In my humble opinion the LOTR Forum is only acceptable because there is so much you can talk about on that topic
    *Ahem* The LOTR board seemed to come around near the release of the first in the trilogy.. and as the board is named LOTR it associates itself with the Book and the Figureens u speak bout.. however had "The Hobbit" been released before LOTR would we still have that board???? or for that matter the very first book dealing with the CREATION of the TOLKIEN Universe..

Stars has a HUGE following and the board wouldnt Die down like you say howver I do see where your coming from in that if all the popular Films got their own Board that this place would get clustered but I mean you cant say that that will definitly happen with a Star Wars forum.. (if a harry potter forums arises due to this then I will scream!)

Main reason why there SHOULD BE a Star WArs forum
    1. The Films.... 5 atm and 1 more in the Factory... (I was once told that there was 9 o em??)
    2. The Books - Following on from all the Films... some good some not.. but definitly worth discussing.
    3. The Games hehe, not only do we have all the vehicle type games like X-Wing or Tie Fighter or more Recently Rougue Leader.. but also the Dark Forces Series which include 3 of my Favourite Games of all time Jedi Knight, Mysteries of the Sith (which is inaccurate but still worth it) and Jedi Knight 2..
    4. Rumour Mill... no doubt there will be more Films or atleast books dealing with teh Star Wars universe and Im sure that alot of the Fans will want to know any of the rumours..

I really want a mod badge to add to my badge collection.
    Dont we all but *ahem* Do I know you??? you appear to have a "N00BI3" Tage so I dont think that by asking you shall recieve.. you have to work within the community and not just look for possible Doors that may lead to you gaining any little piece of power .... and if you Jepordise any possibility of there being a Star wars forum I'll ****ing Kill u mate!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

gotta say i agree with ropedrink. The reason the LOTR board exists is NOT his reasons though. It's because it touched a part in the geek in all of us, because LOTR fans are so much more obsessive than Star Wars fans, and because... well... because it was the FIRST TIME someone had wanted a forum based around a film.

Oh... and mr. "Fast Newbie"... no. no... i won't flip at the whole wanting modship thing (i know i'd love the extra buttons to press) but inventing pointless forums is silly.

If you want to talk about star wars, there's the film/tv thread.
    if you want to talk about the star wars rpg, there's the rpg board, if you want to talk about the star wars computer games, there's a goddamn games area!
    And if you want to talk about various other star wars merchandise or <shudder> the star wars "literature"... then please do it somewhere i'll never see it.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by lordsippa
    ... then please do it somewhere i'll never see it.

Like the Star Wars forum :D

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Being a moderator does NOT grant you any real power - I merely gives you a lot more work to do on this forum than your basic poster (Who doesn't have to work at all)

People have it in their heads that being a moderator makes you cool, or hip, mighty and powerful - No it doesn't you blind fools, yes you get an extra star and a title but you're also responsible for almost everything that happens there, and should you fail to keep the Board tidy you answer to the gods of this site - And they can be extremely ugly if they want to be :D

In regards to LOTR I'll say it again - There's a lot you can talk about on that Topic - the books, the films, the figures, yet that didn't keep the forum alive for too long after the hype died down etc

Creating a forum for one single film is like plocking a kid in a box with a crate of toys - Once he/she/it has played with them continuously, he/she/it loses interest and will forget about them.
    Thats what has/is happening to the LOTR Forum (Until the next part of the trilogy comes out) and it's the way the Star Wars forum will be also... In my ignorant eyes at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Film/TV, Sci-FI and Games board are hardly overflowing with Star Wars posts. There's no need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Hello Sci-Fi / Fantasy board!!

It has been discussed on the board in the past but not to any great extent to warrent a seperate forum, lotr however had alot more interest and thus warrented its own forum.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Film/TV, Sci-FI and Games board are hardly overflowing with Star Wars posts. There's no need.

Exactly.

Thank you lordsippa for understanding - I'll admit I've failed to put my point across in any way coherantly - But Im sure you get the general idea as to why Im opposing the creation of this forum.

Leaving the cafe now so you wont here anything else from me for a while - Good Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    Being a moderator does NOT grant you any real power - I merely gives you a lot more work to do on this forum than your basic poster (Who doesn't have to work at all)
    yes the novelty wares off really quick when every time you log in another muppet has spewed his crap all over the place. :)

Creating a forum for one single film is like plocking a kid in a box with a crate of toys - Once he/she/it has played with them continuously, he/she/it loses interest and will forget about them.

so are you gonna say that the LOTR forum is a Failure????
    Ims orry but separating all the Star Wars stuff into Five or Six different Forums will not work too well as your not gonna get ppl browsing each of those forums everyday just to see if any1 has posted any star wars news.... "Build it and they shall Come"

and if you Jepordise any possibility of there being a Star wars forum I'll ****ing Kill u mate!!!
    in my opinien he seems to have already done that..
    Star was has a huge following and possibly an Even bigger one than LOTR but as I said there was only one LOTR Book written (Divided into 3 novels which each contained 2 books) and there will be Three Films (However technically there is only 1 film as each will start off from where the last left off) and also a Cartoon Film... the Figures were re-released intime for the Film... Its all for Profit..

As I said ppl arent gonna spend their time scrolling through various Forums looking for something on Star Wars.

Just a small question... for how long before the release of the Film did all this interest in an LOTR forum arise???
    I'd say that soon after the announcement of the Film and then After completion and then shortly `before the actual Release of FOTR that it started and increased in size..

and no offence ment by this but..
    there is so much you can talk about on that topic - beit the Upcoming Film Trilogy, the books, Warhammer LOTR Figures and a rake more,

there is a hell of alot more to talk about in relation to SW than just LOTR.. maybe the LOTR forum should be re-named to LOTR and other Tolkien Books and not just his most major Book.
    and also after the release of the Third and Final Film of LOTR will there be any interest in the Forum or will it just Cease to be..
    Just because a Forum isnt Popular or trafficing allot of info doesnt mean its not usefull.
    and finally I get the weird Feeling that you seem to adore Fantasy more so than Sci-Fi Andy and that will make it even harder to remove those Woolen Shades your Wearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

also a few mods because they can moderate, feel they HAVE to moderate whether it's needed or not.

Maybe make it so mod's have the same titles as everyone and same starts, bar the CMod: Reaver, IETFC (on me for example).

i.e. i'd still have no-life beneath my name. Alot of the older people posting without modship would "outrank" me, yet they are given dirty grey stars, and I get nice white ones, seems a bit off :)

The good ol Caesar Bojangles himself

I only noticed that you also wanted a Health and Fitness board aswell ... FFS you really know how to **** up a good idea just to gain power...
    I think a health and fitness board is a good idea but the possibilities now are slim due to your idiotic requests for power... just cause your the first to post about the creation of some board doesnt entitile you to be the mod...
    FFs I'm am gonna seriously be pissed if the possibility of the Star wars Forum is ****ed down to this Prick
    I dont even think you deserve the title Muppet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

I think a starwars forum would be a sound proposition,there is a lot of multi media cross over appeal and the duribility of its popularity is proven.
    Also i would like to see a fanfiction section.

and maybe some cake

Yep...
    Also you deffinitly would see more posts once there is a dedicated forum for it as you'd get Star wars fans hearing bout it..

as i said "If you Build it they shall come"
    and maybe some cake
    Cake or....DEATH?

<AHEM!>

LOTR, was just one part of the world that is middle earth. Just as the star wars films are just one part of the star wars universe.

There's also (middle earth wise) the silmarillion (damn, i wish i'd read that more than 4 years ago so i could spell it) and the hobbit, not to mention the few hundred other short stories by tolkien... and then there's the other stuff that came after by all the other peolpe out there who wanted to screw around with middle earth...

I'm gonna take my stand firmly in the anti-star wars forum camp. but a fanfiction one does sound quite a clever idea.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

In the past its always really been a case of build it IF they come. A Star Wars forum is hardly going to attract new people to the boards and there are very few posts about it already, so i don't see the point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I stuck that in as a little humorous anecdote, knowing that
    1. I dont spend enough time online to be a mod
    2. I will never be forgiven for the horse incident
    3. I am still a newbie
    4. And i feel there is a bigger star wars fan out there somewhere
    who would be more suitable for the role of star wars mod.

But star wars is not a phenomena its a cult. C'mon you see the extremes some of the nerds, i mean followers go to.
    Star wars will always be around, if when episode 3 is done and dusted. There will always be books, toys, games, clothing, special edition unseen versions released every few years, remastered etc.

By the way Doodee, i aint looking for power i just feel those particular forums i made y'all aware of would benefit the boards. I know lots of people with an interest in health and fitness and star wars who would prob join if you happened to have them.

If it makes you happy, i nominate you Doodee for star wars mod, if they do decide to build it that is.

By the way search in yahoo for Lord of the rings: 134 websites.
    Search for Star Wars: 900 websites.

Uh-huh... but if star wars got it's own forum then buffy would, then red dwarf, then we'd start getting forums for seperate games (beyond tribes and cs), and we'd get forums for star trek and wheel of time, and then for seperate bands, and... it's gone insane...

There is too much of a push lately to have every subtopic have it's own forum. Star Wars is an intregal part of modern popular science fiction. Beyond that, however, it's a kids film that's been overly merchandised. It's not, for example, a modern work of literature which has been used in thesis'.

Now, let's all take a nice big breath, drop the star wars issue and begin muttering about wanting a fan fiction forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm going on to say *YES*!

Because of reasons given by doodee, and so on, it would actualy be a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'm going to say yes, I love Star Wars.

Some people requested a board for JK II, sure this would fall under Star Wars aswell.

Lordsippa I don't think you can can compare Buffy and Star Wars. Both good (in different ways), but Buffy isn't even in the same "league". Star Wars has been around as long as..well... a lot of people on this board have been alive. It has a big big fan base.

I second the notion. I also second the notion that Caesar is joking and can't be mod, but he knows that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Originally posted by lordsippa
    gotta say i agree with ropedrink. The reason the LOTR board exists is NOT his reasons though. It's because it touched a part in the geek in all of us, because LOTR fans are so much more obsessive than Star Wars fans, and because... well... because it was the FIRST TIME someone had wanted a forum based around a film.
    I thought the forum was created because daddy cloud is a massive fan of LOTR and so made a forum?

P.S. Rope im finding it very hard to read your rants these days. Could you maybe jazz em up a bit?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I love Starwars but im not sure it needs a forum to discuss it.. there are only so many posts in the sci-fi and films/tv forums.. not enough to fill a Starwars forum.. But then the powers that be relented on Op Flashpoint so they might in this case also... Could always double up and do StarWars/StarTrek forum... might get more traffic..

As for the LOTR forum.. thats different... Its not just about the movies or even about the book LOTR its about Tolkiens universe which is as much myth and legend than Greek myths and legends.. In fact its probably more complete! his world begins before the creation of earth and on up until the time Lord of the rings is set... Its a literature experience and not just a few books and films to discuss... If you have ever been there people ask about the history that led up to the time of LOTR... You can do that in Star Wars as there is not a whole lot unless there are some books that pre-date phantom menace but then they are written by people who are nothing to do with the original plot so works out different each time.. same with SarTrek books!

In conclusion i dont think its needed but then im not going to complain either if it appears... no harm in it!

Saruman, that is true, but be honest. Is there actually many people talking about middle earth, and tolkien's other writings?
    As far as I can see it's mainly FOTR talk (when's the DVD out, what's your favourite scene, blah blah).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yeah there is.. its not a huge number but i have replied to a good few requests for history thats not covered in the films or the LOTR books... only in Silmarillion etc...

For instance : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48687

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

NO TO STAR WARS !!!

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I'm amazed that no-one has posted this before, but:

addtoast.jpg

...basically, there's a perfectly good (if rather quiet) Sci Fi/Fantasy board this stuff can be discussed on, and if a board is created for Star Wars, then it'll be Trek, B5, Farscape... where would it end?

Gadget
    [edited for spelling]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I agree with Gadget.

Originally posted by Mr.Applepie

P.S. Rope im finding it very hard to read your rants these days. Could you maybe jazz em up a bit?:)

I do not compose rants and moans for the entertainment of others - I express my feelings and opinions openly, without any care in the world for how long or short they are...

If you really want though, Im sure I could think up a spicy rant or two just for you to gander at - But I'd prefer not to do such things in a forum contaminated by authority figures ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i agree with gadgets post, entirely. (and he posted my card :))

his world begins before the creation of earth and on up until the time Lord of the rings is set... Its a literature experience and not just a few books and films to discuss... If you have ever been there people ask about the history that led up to the time of LOTR...

Just because the Tolkien series are Set before Star Wars doesnt give then anything else over it..
    Also alot of the Tolkien books were not only Edited by his son Christopher but also otherppl started writting them and I'm sure that if you looked into it further that there were far more written by Different Authors than you'd like to mention.
    You set this so Called "Monkey See Monkey Do" "Can we have a Forum" Ball rolling when yee first Built a LOTR Forum.. I mean I love Both LOTR and Star Wars but I cant see why you seem to have this absalute Hatered for SW. Yee got yeer Forum now let us have ours..
    Im sure that I would post alot more ****e on the Sci-Fi Board IF I ASNT DOING MEH LEAVING...... and alot of ppl might feel the Same.

As Far as I can see alot of yee seem to Fear that a Star Wars Forum may Steal all that "Sunshine" that appears to be coming from the Ass of all yee LOTR Fans on the LOTR Boards...
    So to put it blatently "Stop being Dicks and share!!!"
    Yee have your LOTR forum and you didnt see the likes of me complain so why not just let us have a Star Wars forum.. and If it doesnt Go well then yee can always Delete it.....

I'm sorry if I have offended any of yee Tolkien Fans but It just Annoys me that yee dont seem to want to share.. I mean FFS there sa Bubbles Forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I agree with Doodee. He's made some very valid points there. There is a much bigger following to Star Wars than to LOTR. I think it would be a great idea. I don't see why there can't be one considering LOTR has one. As somebody said, it's basically one film. Just a really long one.

I say YES!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I'd be for a star wars forum on the same grounds that there is a lord of the rings forum.

I dunno if anyone has mentioned the Expanded Universe of star wars, the books the lead on from the orginal trilogy, slagging off those people who have a religion called Jedi, discussing the merrits of the various characters, the list is endlesss there is so much star wars related material flooding around that I'm surprised it doesn't have a board already.

I'm still supporting this SW-forum...

Just wanted to make it seem like there's more "For" posts here. I don't see why anyone would have such a big problem with it. If you don't like SW, don't read the forum. There's forums for wrestling, LOTR, even Smalville. I mean, c'mon! Please? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by GreenHell
    I'd be for a star wars forum on the same grounds that there is a lord of the rings forum.

imho, NEITHER should really exist as neither have the traffic to justify it. Mind you the LOTR board is Clouds little baby, so let's leave that aside :)

All Star Wars, Star Trek, B5, etc. discussions could be carried out in the Sci-Fi board. I don't see why a new board is needed for any one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...he practically wrote the response I was about to, word-for-word...

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It's simple, as I see it - you don't give a board to something on the grounds that it's great, you give it on the grounds that people will want to discuss it.

Star Wars traffic on Films/TV and Sci-Fi/Fantasy isn't exactly at breaking point. Therefore there is no point to the existence of a board.

Q. E. D.

(Don't you rabid fanboys have some jango fett action figures to play with or something?)

• Advertisement

Don't remember much Lord of the rings talk around here either before the forum was set the occasion post about the books and previews to the film.

I'd play with my star wars toys buy my chewy predates well the 80's and is now more of a rasp than a toy. :)

Don't be stupid Shinji. I'm in work, my toys are at home. Sheesh.

I don't see the problem. If you don't like Star Wars, don't go to the forum, why throw a fit about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Nobody is throwing a fit, koneko. It's just a basic community management argument; if you subdivide down stuff too far, then every board looks empty and you get a tumbleweed effect across the whole boards system.

Films/TV and SF/Fantasy can accomodate Star Wars conversation. If you remove it, you end up with a much smaller Star Wars forum and significantly smaller Films/TV and SF/Fantasy forums. Which is something of a pointless exercise really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I propose a police academy board be set up.

Oh no, totally understand what you mean Shinji, I just disagree ;)
    I think there is enough demand for it. Maybe if the board are taking such a tough line, it should be done in general. I mean, if so many people object to a Star Wars board, but there is a Smallville one (or is that coz Cloud likes it)?

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. Looks like there won't be one so no point in argueing my point :D

I'd believe there would be enough interest for a star wars board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the smallville board is a community board, not a main board, they are under their own steam as it were, like the ioffl board. They are not listed on the main boards.ie bulletin boards page

I was under the impression a SW board would also be a Community one (like opflash, or smallville, and whatnot), not a main board ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Never thought there would be such a reaction. More than likely if you turn it down now, there's a good chance of a similar request arising in the future from someone else.

How about a trial run of two weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I dont see why there couldnt be a Star Wars board, half the threads on the films/TV board are about Star Wars. If there's a frickin Smallville board, there can be a Star Wars board..

• Advertisement
Advertisement